Respected Contributor

New Panasonic Answering System on HSN

I just ordered the new system ($119/5 handsets/free shipping) which requires all callers to press 1 to be connected in order to block robocalls with no ring. Sounds great. It should eliminate the robocallers that use the "similar phone number" technology.

Now I'm thinking it will probably take robocallers 24 hours to add a 1-tone to the start of their message.

Should I cancel why I can?

Any robocall experts out there?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Panasonic Answering System on HSN

I don’t know about this phone and if it works but I have that as a feature of Centurylink and they still get through. It says something to the effect if you are a phone solicitor please hang up or press 1 to connect. It was so bad a couple of months ago I had to block entire area codes through them. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

Don't know about this Panasonic, but my 4 handset AT&T I bought a couple years ago is darned good. It holds 1,000 blocked numbers. I consider it pretty danged good and estimate it blocks about 98-99% of unwanted calls.

Don't foresee anything in the future being 100%. Had days where it blocked 16 calls, not 1 rang.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut 

Does your ATT machine use the PRESS 1 TO CONNECT system? 75% of my robocalls come from SIMILAR PHONE NUMBER technology which continually changes the number that shows on caller ID. Storing those numbers is a waste of space.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has found the PRESS 1 TO CONNECT technology effective.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@hckynut 

Does your ATT machine use the PRESS 1 TO CONNECT system? 75% of my robocalls come from SIMILAR PHONE NUMBER technology which continually changes the number that shows on caller ID. Storing those numbers is a waste of space.

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has found the PRESS 1 TO CONNECT technology effective.

@PickyPicky3 

No dial 1 feature. Wasted space? To be used for what, I  am not talking about a hard drive or cell phone storage capacity. I mentioned how long we have had this phone set and it has about 400 blocked calls stored. Figure it will be 2+ more years of storage for blocking calls.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I just bought a new phone system that I can use in connection with my iphone.

It's a regular house phone but a call can come through it from my iphone, etc.  

It does a lot of other things too.

I sent one to my daughter too.  She works from home and for her own usage she only has (like many people these days) has an iphone.  No landline.

It will be perfect for her.  Many people these days only has a cellphone.  No landline.  This system I bought does everything but brush my teeth.  Ha!

I don't even use my landline anymore because I get so many robo calls on it.  

My daughter just gave the Consumer Reports magazine that tells all about robo calls.

What it basically says is GOOD LUCK getting rid of them.  They (the pain in the neck advertisers) have so many things they use to get around anything we have or can buy!

Respected Contributor

I already own a link to cell phone answering system which I love because of that linking ability.  But it does nothing to block first-time robocall numbers. Since most of my robocalls are from first-time numbers that will almost never be repeated, I never bother to block them for the future.

I ordered the new Panasonic because of the PRESS 1 feature. I fear it is already obsolete. I'm going to cancel.

You know, I used to get scam police organization solicitation calls from these guys with a New York City accent. They were so polite, well-spoken and kind. Of course I never gave them any money. I used to think they were out-of-work Broadway actors. I found a way to get rid of them, and now I almost miss them. Even when you said no, they left you feeling good about having not just hung up.

Valued Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I already own a link to cell phone answering system which I love because of that linking ability.  But it does nothing to block first-time robocall numbers. Since most of my robocalls are from first-time numbers that will almost never be repeated, I never bother to block them for the future.

I ordered the new Panasonic because of the PRESS 1 feature. I fear it is already obsolete. I'm going to cancel.

You know, I used to get scam police organization solicitation calls from these guys with a New York City accent. They were so polite, well-spoken and kind. Of course I never gave them any money. I used to think they were out-of-work Broadway actors. I found a way to get rid of them, and now I almost miss them. Even when you said no, they left you feeling good about having not just hung up.

Were you able to find any reviews on how effective the feature is?

Respected Contributor

There are a few vendors online who are selling refurbished units from about 9 months ago. Were they a test run???

Some reviews are good; some bad. Can't compare what may be apple and oranges.

See my Part 2 for some new info.