Respected Contributor

New Panasonic Answering System Part 2

I'm back, having spent some time on the Panasonic website. It says PRESS 1 is just the default setting. You can choose up to a 3-digit code which can be changed whenever you want. That should slow down the robocallers. Whether that information is correct is another matter. Smiley Happy

There are also some other complicating factors, but now I may cancel my cancellation.

Just want to keep you informed.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Panasonic Answering System Part 2

I've heard on the news this week that Congress is going to press telephone companies to do something to control or eliminate robocalling.  I think I'd wait and see what they do before I'd sink money into something expensive that might soon be obsolete.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

For those of you playing catchup, here is @PickyPicky3 's 

"Panasonic Answering System, part 1"

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Electronics/New-Panasonic-Answering-System-on-HSN/m-p/5472955#M53952

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I'm back, having spent some time on the Panasonic website. It says PRESS 1 is just the default setting. You can choose up to a 3-digit code which can be changed whenever you want. That should slow down the robocallers. Whether that information is correct is another matter. Smiley Happy

There are also some other complicating factors, but now I may cancel my cancellation.

Just want to keep you informed.

I read your other thread. Smiley Happy

Personally, I think you're fine with your phone choice if you decide to keep the purchase.

We have a call-blocking device that we got here from the Q that we have to set up.

I personally feel like we have to do something, because like others have said, it has all gotten so out-of-hand with all of the robocalls. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

I want to share some vocabulary I've picked up over the past 24 hours. When I started these threads I was just winging it.

What I called SIMILAR NUMBER TECHNOLOGY is called CALLER ID SPOOFING or NEIGHBORHOOD SPOOFING by most people. Hopefully the government will be able to enforce CALLER ID AUTHENTICATION to end those scams.

What I called PRESS 1 TECHNOLOGY is one form of ACCESS CODE or PASSCODE CALL BLOCKING. And that is an example of AUTOMATED CALL BLOCKING, as compared to MANUAL CALL BLOCKING where the user must enter a number to be blocked or press a call block button.

I also learned that it is estimated by 2020 HALF of calls in the US will be robocalls, either legitimate or scams.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I hope Congress actually does do something about robocalls, but I really have no faith in that happening.  I had a robocall at 3:30 a.m. this morning and I can tell you that the phone ringing startled me, because calls at that hour are generally not the best news.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Kachina624  I hope Congress actually does do something about robocalls, but I really have no faith in that happening.  

@SXMGirl 

Congress? That's  funny!  They are too busy chasing things they dreamt happened 3 years ago. Concerned about real things that are happening now? I have 99% more confidence in my AT&T phone blocking my calls than that body actually concerned about real things that are happening.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut        Since your last post on the previous thread, I have been wondering why your pattern of scam calls received is so different than mine. Could it be that you have a landline or a number that was once a landline? There's a lot more history and information floating around on landline numbers which could account for your repeated scam calls.

I gave up my landline 5 years ago and changed my number. So almost all the scam calls I receive are from the random number generating computers with almost no repeats.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Kachina624  I hope Congress actually does do something about robocalls, but I really have no faith in that happening.  

@SXMGirl 

Congress? That's  funny!  They are too busy chasing things they dreamt happened 3 years ago. Concerned about real things that are happening now? I have 99% more confidence in my AT&T phone blocking my calls than that body actually concerned about real things that are happening.

hckynut

@hckynut. No one in that whole town is concerned about anything. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 

My phone is a landline. I have a newer LG smartphone with Tracfone but it is rarely turned on. I use it only to make calls when out, and I can't even remember the last time I even turned it on. Only 2 people have my cell number. The 2nd person is my wife.

Maybe it gets robo calls, I have no idea. Now I get your "takes up space" in your original post. Guess I missed you were talking about a cell phone because of mentioning the 4 or 5 handsets. Just assumed you were talking about a landline. I should know better than "assume", sorry.

hckynut

hckynut(john)