Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Macbook Air and Macbook Pro

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I'm pondering getting the new Macbook Air. As I stated before I'm not a techie, I do have two questions. On Apple's website there are two cables that aren't included with your purchase, they are an additional purchases, a USB-C USB Adapter $19 and USB-C to lightening Cable $19. What do each of these cables do, and do I need them?

@Jordan2

I would buy the  new 13.3" MacBook pro. Why? It has a brighter display which is easier to view in direct sunlight, a larger battery, better microphone and speakers.

I  would recommend buying Apple Care.

I know the MacBook pro is more expensive, but the technology is just a bit nicer.

You may want to watch some YouTube videos that compare the two devices. 

You can buy either of these two data cables at Best Buy if you need them. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I'm pondering getting the new Macbook Air. As I stated before I'm not a techie, I do have two questions. On Apple's website there are two cables that aren't included with your purchase, they are an additional purchases, a USB-C USB Adapter $19 and USB-C to lightening Cable $19. What do each of these cables do, and do I need them?

@Jordan2

I would buy the  new 13.3" MacBook pro. Why? It has a brighter display which is easier to view in direct sunlight, a larger battery, better microphone and speakers.

I know the MacBook pro is more expensive, but the technology is just a bit nicer.

@Nuttmeg as much as I would like to get the MacBook Pro, that would run at least $300 more than the MacBook Air, I don't think it's in my budget. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Jordan2

@Nuttmeg as much as I would like to get the MacBook Pro, that would run at least $300 more than the MacBook Air, I don't think it's in my budget. 

There are basically three options these days for computers. You've got Microsoft/Windows, Google/Chromebooks, and Apple. If you include tablets and other electronics then you can add Amazon into that pile also. I'm a Microsoft, Google, Amazon guy. All three work together well for me. Photos and videos I take go to the Google cloud, Amazon cloud, and Microsoft cloud and I can access them on any of my devices. I probably use my Chromebook the least of the three, but I still use it from time to time. Right now I'm on my Windows desktop, but primarily I use either my 10" Amazon Fire tablet or my Android phone (Motorola Moto G7 Optimo Maxx). The nice thing is all three of these systems work well together. My emails are on all of them. My calendar is on all of them. My photos, music, and videos are on all of them. All three of those individual systems coordinate well together for me.

If I add an event to my calendar on my phone, it shows up on my Fire tablet and also my desktop calendar. Everything just works for me. 

Now, if you're already part of the Apple ecosystem and you're happy with it, then stick to the Apple ecosystem and the Apple MacBook Air should be fine for most uses. I just like having more options. There are literally hundreds of choices at every price point outside the Apple ecosystem. I've just never been an Apple fanboy. They're okay if you like them, but I prefer other options.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

@Jordan2 

I agree she will be happy with an Macbook Air.

It has some nice technology for its price. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@gardenman

@Jordan2 

I agree she will be happy with an Macbook Air.

It has some nice technology for its price. 

Yeah. Most people overbuy when it comes to computers. For the things the vast majority of computer users do, the lower end models will handle things just fine.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro that I have had for three years. I paid $500 for it, I could have bought a chromebook for much less. I can't tell you how much I HATE it, I have had it repaired twice, I regret the purchase.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I was in Best Buy today browsing the new Macbook Air and Pro. There was a man and a woman (not related), looking at the Pro, trying to talk me into the Pro instead of Air. God Bless them both, but the Pro is $300 more to begin with, a little out of my price range. The man I could see buying the Pro, he uses it for work and is a heavy duty user, I think I would be happy with the Air. They had the gold color in the Air out on display, to me it looks like a rose gold, I think I would go with the space gray (I'm a traditionalist).

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   I love my Macbook Air.  Mine is a 2019 and is my second one.  With my first one I was debating between the Air and the Pro, and the salesman suggested the Air.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I have a Macbook Pro 13" and I'm glad I chose it over the Air. 

Frequent Contributor

Just a heads up......If yu buy a MacBook Air or Pro from Apple this weekend you wll get a $50 gift card. If you want to purchase Apple Care you have 2 months and can use the gift card to help pay for it