Super Contributor

@gidgetgh - Glad to hear you're enjoying the new Air! I'm loving mine too, and impressed with the batttery life! Here's to continued enjoyment!

Contributor

So it's become clear I will need a new computer.  I currently have the iMac 27" (2013).  I just can't decide if I want to get  a laptop or not. So for those who have 'downsized' how do you like it?  I really love my desktop but maybe it's time to get something smaller and compact.  Choices are iMac 24"/Macbook Air or Macbook Pro (both with M2 chip)  Guess I'm just looking for some input/thoughts/experiences with downsizing.

Thanks!

Honored Contributor

You don't have to downsize. You can get a Mac Mini for around $700 and up, then add a 27" monitor for as low as $150 and up. (Not Apple monitors. A 27" Apple monitor is a lot pricier, but I bought a 27" HP monitor for $170 that's great.) 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@sweetP wrote:

So it's become clear I will need a new computer.  I currently have the iMac 27" (2013).  I just can't decide if I want to get  a laptop or not. So for those who have 'downsized' how do you like it?  I really love my desktop but maybe it's time to get something smaller and compact.  Choices are iMac 24"/Macbook Air or Macbook Pro (both with M2 chip)  Guess I'm just looking for some input/thoughts/experiences with downsizing.

Thanks!

@sweetP - I downsized just two weeks ago.  From a 10 year old 27 inch iMac to the new MacBook Air.  Quite the change going from 27 inches down to 13.  

And???  I love it so far.  While I loved my large Mac, I love walking by my office and just seeing this smallish computer sitting on the desk.  Oh, and the battery life is excellent.

If you get it, my nephew suggested getting the heftier charger, 67W, because it charges faster.  So that's what I got. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

At this point, I'm retired, I can't imagine going back to a desk top.

Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

You don't have to downsize. You can get a Mac Mini for around $700 and up, then add a 27" monitor for as low as $150 and up. (Not Apple monitors. A 27" Apple monitor is a lot pricier, but I bought a 27" HP monitor for $170 that's great.) 

Thank you for that suggestion, I hadn't considered it! However I want to keep things streamlined - all in one, so to speak.  But thank you for that idea!

Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@sweetP wrote:

Thanks!

@sweetP - I downsized just two weeks ago.  From a 10 year old 27 inch iMac to the new MacBook Air.  Quite the change going from 27 inches down to 13.  

And???  I love it so far.  While I loved my large Mac, I love walking by my office and just seeing this smallish computer sitting on the desk.  Oh, and the battery life is excellent.

If you get it, my nephew suggested getting the heftier charger, 67W, because it charges faster.  So that's what I got. 

I'm glad to hear you're loving it!  I am really on the fence! lol  I guess I am just so used to the 27".  Then if I do go with the Macbook - do I get the Air or Pro?  I'm weighing all my options/prices.  I know I'll be making a decision soon to take advantage of the tax free days and educator discount.  Thanks again for your response, it really helps!

Super Contributor

When my 27 inch iMac died, I bought a new one.  I can't imagine using a smaller screen for my everyday computing.  Thank goodness we have choices. 

Contributor

@gadgetgal613 wrote:

When my 27 inch iMac died, I bought a new one.  I can't imagine using a smaller screen for my everyday computing.  Thank goodness we have choices. 

Yes!  This is how I feel.  I feel like a smaller screen would really annoy me, especially because I always have 10 or more tabs open.  lol

Honored Contributor

@sweetP wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Thank you for that suggestion, I hadn't considered it! However I want to keep things streamlined - all in one, so to speak.  But thank you for that idea!

The back of monitors have VESA mounts and there are several VESA mount brackets for a Mac Mini, so you can take a Mac Mini and mount it to the back of the monitor essentially creating an all-in-one. It's a cheap, easy way to stay in the Apple ecosystem with a 27" monitor. The only thing obvious on your desk would be the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The Mac Mini would be tucked away on the back of the monitor and out of sight. It's an option for you. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!