Honored Contributor

New Apple iPad advice

[ Edited ]

I have a 6th generation Ipad which has been my go to at home all day every day because I like the size and it does everything I ask it to do well which isn't much. I use it to stream workout videos and scrolling around on the internet. 

But lately, it's been crashing web pages with four tabs open even after I cleared the cache. I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade as Safari is not handling websites like it used to.

I am an Android girl but I hated their tablets back in the day and Fire doesn't play well with Canva and docx. 

I am usually grateful for having at least one Apple device too because of the proprietary access. Case in point, my new employer health plan is coming with free access to Apple Fit next year. It says you need an iPhone which I don't have and I won't get but I assume I can access it if I have an iPad. 

I am also thinking of editing documents on a tablet now which I understand iPad can do. I may rethink that if the Apple pencil is involved because I'm not getting nuts with money and the $399 sales price tag for the iPad alone is choking me a bit.

What say you experts? Apple Fit is not a big thing to me but if it's free and an iPad works for it, it may be a nudge to upgrade.

And since I am getting serious with my writing, I understand the iPad has capabilities there that I haven't scratched the surface of yet. As long as it doesn't require pricey accessories, that might be another plus.

So would you grab the new iPad 10th on sale now or keep chugging along with the 6th generation? What's the smarter choice and investment do you think?    

Regular Contributor

Just recently upgraded to 10th generation the 12.9 inch and the difference is so great no regrets. Just the ease and speed alone is good enough for my preferences. Older I enjoy the larger screen. $399 for 64gb great deal imho if one needs and upgrade -I have two older generations and this one is the one I use the most at present 

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Grace729! I appreciate the input.

Honored Contributor

Re: New Apple iPad advice

[ Edited ]

Greetings, @Laura14!

​A few things to consider:

The iPad I use is 6th generation (iPadOS v. 16.1.1) and so far it's doing extremely well (and I use it heavily).

--  Go into your Settings, General to reset the network settings.
Then, tap "Transfer or Reset iPad" and then choose "Reset" and then
from the pop-up menu tap "Reset Network Settings". 
This is completely safe--please do not fear!😉😊  
It's part of regular iPad "housekeeping" and I do it at least once a week. 
It can eliminate a myriad of problems when using browsers on the internet. 
It will shut down the iPad, restart it, and
then you'll need to reselect your WiFi
and re-enter the WiFi password.

--  Be sure to sync/backup the device often. 
That will delete old "analytic and diagnostic" data that can take up space and also can cause problems over time. 
(You can view this data under "Settings," "Privacy & Security," "Analytics & Improvements," "Analytics Data.")  You might be surprised to see how much is languishing there.

--  Try a different browser.  Safari is unstable on older iPads, and I prefer to use Brave or Chrome, with Safari only as a backup for troubleshooting.

--  If your state has a "sales tax holiday"​ and it includes electronics, take a look at that for your next iPad.  It can save quite a bit of the cost if it's available to you.

Great news about your writing!  Best wishes to you!  Please keep us updated on this new venture!
Take care.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I had no idea. Thank you @dooBdoo !!  I have printed this out and will do some housekeeping tonight when I get home.

I appreciate the help!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I had no idea. Thank you @dooBdoo !!  I have printed this out and will do some housekeeping tonight when I get home.

I appreciate the help!

You're welcome, @Laura14!  I hope this helps!  My iPad 6 (purchased summer 2018 and still getting iPadOS updates) has been a real workhorse and I don't anticipate replacing it until possibly next summer when my state has our "sales tax holiday."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: New Apple iPad advice

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo Mine has too. My state doesn't do tax holidays anymore but if I can get some more usage out of it, I'd love to.  I really appreciate the tips and tricks.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo Nice to see you posting again...I have missed your expertise on computer related issues.

...this is off topic but relates to the IPAD....

I have a MacBook Air and I am able to receive and send attachments easily (thru my email address)  ...attachments like form work, brochures, business cards,  (pdf format) that I set up for my customers or I also upload the file to a service provider for printing....not attachments like photos, etc...(if that even makes a difference).

Can an I pad do the same thing?  I use a thumb drive to transfer the files from my Mac book air to the desktop computer at my office.

I always thought I would get an I pad once my Air is no longer working.... as long as  the Ipad can operate like the MacBook Air...thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 , I would follow @dooBdoo 's instructions and clean up the iPad.  I would use it as long as it is able to take software updates.  I reset mine with success following advice from another poster.  I have since bought a new one which I am enjoying.  My iPad gets such heavy use that I feel it can justify the cost.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Lilysmom1 ! I followed @dooBdoo instructions and downloaded Chrome. Had no idea I could use my favorite browser here. Big thanks to you and all the helpful posters here. 🙏🏻❤️