Trusted Contributor

Re: New 10" Fire

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

At this moment it's on sale at Amazon for $99. I just ordered one for my combination birthday/Christmas present.

@gardenman @patbz @GCR18  the 10" on my wish list even though I have the 8" and the 8.9" HDX.  Oh how I love the HDX, but it's losing battery power , so.....I'm thinking I need the 10". 😜. Is the 10" comparable at all to the HDX?  Sadly while the 8" is fine, it's just not the same

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New 10" Fire

[ Edited ]

I had the 8.9" Fire until it died; it was also 4 G and I loved it.  Next I bought the newest generation 8" , which wasn't nearly as good; I broke the screen so I bought the 10" , which I love (especially since its 64gb and I added a 128gb chip).  The 10" is my new favorite, it's a deal at Amazon's black Friday price!

Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

At this moment it's on sale at Amazon for $99. I just ordered one for my combination birthday/Christmas present.

@gardenman @patbz @GCR18  the 10" on my wish list even though I have the 8" and the 8.9" HDX.  Oh how I love the HDX, but it's losing battery power , so.....I'm thinking I need the 10". 😜. Is the 10" comparable at all to the HDX?  Sadly while the 8" is fine, it's just not the same

From what I understand the screen is better than the older Fires, but the dpi (dots per inch resolution) isn't as good as the HDX. It's said to be close, but not quite the same. I'll be getting mine on Tuesday and I'll know more then.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I've had my 10" Fire now for a couple of days and I'm loving it! Amazon moved most of my apps and settings from my old Fire to the new one in a half hour (or so) process. I was a bit disappointed initially with the video quality, the first video I viewed was pretty fuzzy, but that's resolved and videos are very crisp right now. (The Fire might have been downloading stuff in the background initially making the initial video a bit less sharp than ideal.) All in all, I'm very happy with it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your review @gardenman!  I was hoping you would be back to post while the Black Friday price was still in effect.  I have a 7 inch Fire and and Fire 8 but my favorite size is my old Nook HD+ that is no longer supported (and crashes regularly).  Sizewise the Fire 10 is about an inch longer and same width.  So, maybe Santa will be bringing me a Fire 10!

Honored Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

Thanks for your review @gardenman!  I was hoping you would be back to post while the Black Friday price was still in effect.  I have a 7 inch Fire and and Fire 8 but my favorite size is my old Nook HD+ that is no longer supported (and crashes regularly).  Sizewise the Fire 10 is about an inch longer and same width.  So, maybe Santa will be bringing me a Fire 10!

I don't see how you can beat it at that price.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I used to love the amazon fire devices and recommended them to everyone. I found out with the new 10 inch I ordered for my relative that you have to pay for everything now. They took away the "Underground" Application to all music, games and books, no google store which I prefer. I knew that but, not about taking away the Underground you have to pay to use the so called free games, books and music I do not pay to play or listen. That is why these devices are so cheap. They make up in a subscription fee every month and sell you the device dirt cheap. I sent it back and will buy my relative a gift card to a best buy so she can buy what she wants. I will never order a device from Amazon again. Just a heads up!! BUYER BEWARE!

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I used to love the amazon fire devices and recommended them to everyone. I found out with the new 10 inch I ordered for my relative that you have to pay for everything now. They took away the "Underground" Application to all music, games and books, no google store which I prefer. I knew that but, not about taking away the Underground you have to pay to use the so called free games, books and music I do not pay to play or listen. That is why these devices are so cheap. They make up in a subscription fee every month and sell you the device dirt cheap. I sent it back and will buy my relative a gift card to a best buy so she can buy what she wants. I will never order a device from Amazon again. Just a heads up!! BUYER BEWARE!

Google Play Store needs to be installed on Amazon devices.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

Bear in mind that no one else was giving you free access to those apps and whatnot, so Amazon is basically doing what every other tablet maker is doing. As a Prime member however I still get tons of free stuff (more magazines than I can read in a month,  a free book to own each month, lots of other books I can read for free,  and more.) You still get a reliable, low cost tablet that's insanely low-priced compared to i-Pads and you don't pay any more for apps/games than you do with anyone else, you just no longer get some of the old content for free. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Bear in mind that no one else was giving you free access to those apps and whatnot, so Amazon is basically doing what every other tablet maker is doing. As a Prime member however I still get tons of free stuff (more magazines than I can read in a month,  a free book to own each month, lots of other books I can read for free,  and more.) You still get a reliable, low cost tablet that's insanely low-priced compared to i-Pads and you don't pay any more for apps/games than you do with anyone else, you just no longer get some of the old content for free. 

Oh good grief first of all what you are saying is not true .. with other tablets you are not forced to join prime membership which cost 144 dollars a year and 12 dollars a month. The google store gives you the option of buying the game, book or music that you want and you can get more for free something that amazon stopped doing when they took out there "underground' application. So get your facts right. You are getting nothing for free. And if you decide you do not want to be a prime member you are left with a shell of a tablet which is useless.I like to have options and buy what I want without having to join a membership which is quite pricey, for what you get. And how long you use it. I got rid of my devices from amazon very recently when I found out that amazon wants payment for whatever you might want to try out. Not for me. I do not like being locked into a membership of any kind.