Frequent Contributor

Re: Never owned a smart phone....which one to buy???

I too vote for the IPhone. They really are user friendly. I resisted for a long time because I did not want to pay for data but wonder now how I got by without it. One thing I will say about Apple products I have always had a good experience at the Apple store when I needed help and you don't have to buy your phone there. Also you don't have to buy the newest IPhone. You can buy the 5 5c or 5 s at greatly reduced prices. Like others have said check them out to see which one works the best for you.
Honored Contributor

Apart from the apple/android debate, something I will offer is that I got an unlocked phone when i finally graduated from my flip phone meaning I'm not tied to any carrier or contract. I stayed with my usual carrier just went to a more economical prepaid plan but if I ever want to switch, I just pop out their card and put in someone else's. I don't have to buy a brand new phone to switch. I got a reasonable android (Nexus 4) for about $350 a few years ago and at this point it owes me money. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Super Contributor

I have a Windows Nokia 521 phone and absolutely love it. It also takes very good pictures. I'm thinking of upgrading to the Nokia 635 which has had very good reviews. My plan is $45/mo. with T-Mobile.

Honored Contributor

Won't say what kind of phone, but you might look into a "prepaid plan" if you think you will use a lot of "texting/data and talk time".

My wife has a Samsung Galaxy SIII and a prepaid plan with Sprint. For $35 a month she gets: "Unlimited Talk/Unlimited Text and 3G of data. She uses less that 1G of data each month because most of her use is via Wi-fi, which does count as "data" on her plan.

Phones? I know one thing for sure. Ain't know way I would ever spend more that what I have in the past for my present Smart Phone. Paid less that $80 for a plan with TracFone that figures out to less than $6 per month. I don't text or use data so overages are never a concern for me.

I bought my wife her SIII when she was in the hospital to replace her older SII. While I will spend the $$$ on her, ain't know way I would spend it on myself. I am very cheap when it comes to what I spend on myself, and what I spend has to be something practical that has a use, not something that is only for looks.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I just ordered the LG Ultimate 2 (LG L41C) smartphone with 1200 minutes for Tracfone through a third party seller (shopcelldeals) on Amazon along with a 32 gb class 10 micro SDHC card for a tick over $150 combined. It's about the best deal out there now on smart phones. This is a newer version of an Android phone and gets rave reviews. My old flip phone needed a new battery and I'm paying nearly $7 a month just to keep it alive without adding minutes, so it was time to upgrade. It'll be coming Monday or Tuesday. I'll be downloading the manual for it beforehand to learn as much as possible before it gets here. It looks pretty neat though. I'm looking forward to getting it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

If you really love your phone, why change? Just a thought. I don't have a smart phone because I have absolutely no need for one. My dumb flip phone is just fine. But then I'm probably a dinosaur too. After all, shocking as it might seem, I just use the phone as a phone. ha!

I'm not a teenage girl - no need to text. I don't want to use my phone for the internet. I have computers for that. I tried it with my iPod Touch (just like an iPhone except no phone) and the tiny screen, and typing like that was just NOT for me at all. The phone is just a phone for me and that's perfectly fine.

My husband has an iPhone and he likes it just fine. He needs to have a smart phone, for business, though. He's been happy with it and even more shocking, in the several years he's had it he hasn't killed it. He's hard on things. He did break the screen once, a few years ago, but was able to replace the screen.

Trusted Contributor

Love my Samsung Galaxy 5s