Honored Contributor

Re: Never had a cellphone-what does unlocked mean?

@Mz iMac    Consumer Cellular is also USA-based and caters to Seniors.

Better charge that cell.  If not recharged regularily, they soon can't be charged at all.  Same with any rechargeable device.  Storing it in extremely cold or hot weather doesn't help.

I pay $50-70 for a cell TracFone which I use for 4 or 5 years.  I have a ton of minutes so have never bought any.  A year of service costs me $50.  So for about $4/mo I get cell service and don't have to pay for cable that I don't want.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@On It  My mother has a Jitterbug flip phone.  CS is USofA based.  If you have any issues/problems they will take baby steps to help you.  My mother did not know she could take selfies or how to. Smiley Very Happy

My mother always "take notes" so if the issue crops up again, she can handle it herself.  She's had the phone for a few years now & the "selfie" issue is the only time she called their cs dept.

The phone is very easy to use because it's made specifically for seniors.  My mother will be 98 this year.

I received a free flip phone for x-mas maybe 2 yrs ago?  Never used it.  I charged it up when I first got it, put it in my car & that is the last place I've seen it.  I guess I better charge it in case I witness an accident or I get in one. Smiley Tongue 

My landline w/an answering machine is all I need.  Plus I've never received a phone bill w/Comcast or Verizon.  Landlines are FREE w/them.

I have never understood why people like to brag they don't use technology.  I had a serious car accident in 2006, my car slid off an exit ramp, slid to the bottom of the ditch and flipped upside down.  Who knows how long I would have been there until someone saw my car off the ramp.  Thank God I had a cell phone and was able to call for help.  I worked in health care for 38 years and you almost never get sick or injured within reach of your landline. 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG based on experience with my mother, I would advise you go to a nearby ATT or Verizon store and tell them you need the cheapest plan and easiest to operate cell phone that they offer.  Ask about prepaid plans, too.  Having never had a cell phone, they can be a bit tricky for someone to figure out if the person has not had a lot of experience with tablets, computers, etc.  If you've had experience with these things, then my advice probably isn't on point, but I know for my mom, it was invaluable that when something went wrong with the phone or if she didn't know how to do something, she could go to her local store, and they would fix the issue or show her how to do whatever she was needing to know.  It gave her great peace of mind to know that help from a live person was just a short drive away.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Never had a desire to own a cell phone, but now I need one out of necessity. DH has a procedure coming up and I must wait and they will call me. When I said I had no cell phone, I got quite a look. Okay, I know I should get a phone so I found a $99.99 Samsung Galaxy12 on HSN. It's a Tracphone which is fine by me. Someone once told me if I'm getting a phone, make sure it is unlocked. Could someone who understands the terminology tell me if this phone will work for me with minimal set up? Thanks to anyone who can help.

That phone will be fine for you. QVC has the Samsung A02S on sale now with a year's service for $59.96 with free S&H that would also be fine. The advice about buying an unlocked phone is not the best advice. An unlocked phone typically costs more than a locked phone. And then you have to pick a service provider. Most "locked" phones are tied to a provider for a period of time. If you buy a Tracfone through QVC or HSN you get a year's free service included so there's no real need to change providers so buying a locked phone isn't an issue. And at $60 for a phone and a year's use, it's hard to beat.

Why are there locked phones? Providers pick up part of the cost of the phone for you when you buy a locked phone because it locks you into their service for a period of time. If you buy an unlocked phone, you pay the full price of the phone. The Samsung A02S unlocked on Amazon sells for $179.99. You can buy the phone and a year's service here for $59.99 with free S&H. That's a pretty significant difference.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@AuntG   Ahh, the dreaded cell phone, never having or needing one. This was me for sure. I had a really small flip phone that I got through Consumer Cellular. It worked, suited my purpose until they decided to end 3G service so Ineeded a new phone.

With a little guidance from my sister I landed on a great new phone (Motorola G10 64GB/4G) from ebay, unlocked and compatible still with Consumer Cellular as my phone carrier. They sent me a compatible SIM card which you definitely need, monthly service charge never changed ($27.00, a great deal). I have unlimited calls, texts, emails. Consumer Cellular has great packages for very little money and my new phone is so easy to use, set up with CC help on the other end. Check them out.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG    I have given this some thought and considered the aggravation and expense of this one phone call.  If feasible, I'd kiss hubby goodbye when he goes into surgery then go home and wait for the phone call.  You could then return to the hospital.  OR, I'd explain to the doctor that I don't use a cell phone and request that he or an assistant come talk to me.  I'm sure you're not the only one without a cell phone.  It's common for Seniors not to use them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It   I have the Jitterbug phone from Lively and have enjoyed it for 2 years.  I have lots of photos on it, too.  It took some getting used to because I am a senior who had before had an older, just basic cheapie cell phone.  You also have a button on the phone to push if you fall down, or need medical help.  I haven't had to use that yet.

But yes, it is a fairly large phone and even though I am not tech savvy, I was able to set up the texting and phone numbers for all my family and friends, so I can highly recommend it!

Edited to add that my son (who worries about me if he cannot get in touch with me, since I live alone) is the one who gave me the phone for Christmas 2 years ago.  He said he wants to have a way to get in touch with me when he can't find me.  So, I carry that cell phone everywhere I go!

Contributor

An unlocked smartphone is a phone that isn't tied to a specific carrier or contract. Therefore, you have the freedom to shop for the latest phones and plans as often — or as infrequently — as you like. Plus, they don't come preloaded with numerous carrier applications that that take up space on your phone.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG  When I had surgery recently, the hospital gave my sister a pager.  She waited in the waiting room, and they paged her when my surgery was over.  The doctor came out and talked with her after she was paged.

I would ask the hospital if they do that.  Whenever I've gone for appointments at a hospital to have tests done, that's how they let me know they're ready for me.  My sister and I both have cell phones, but that's not how they contact us.

I don't understand why they would require people to have a cell phone.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@AuntG    I have given this some thought and considered the aggravation and expense of this one phone call.  If feasible, I'd kiss hubby goodbye when he goes into surgery then go home and wait for the phone call.  You could then return to the hospital.  OR, I'd explain to the doctor that I don't use a cell phone and request that he or an assistant come talk to me.  I'm sure you're not the only one without a cell phone.  It's common for Seniors not to use them.

@Kachina624 I think it's time I get one, even though there's no great need. The place that does colonoscopies won't even let me in the door. It's typically less than a three hour wait, but in 25 degree weather, I'll get cold so I'll order coffee at a drive-thru and visit the library part of the time. No pager was offered as @NickNack mentioned, but if it worked out in the parking lot, I'd be willing to use one.