Respected Contributor

Need suggestions for a router/ booster please.

[ Edited ]

Have mercy please if you can't understand what I am talking about.  I have the internet router ,MAYBE IT'S CALLED A MODEM- in the center/end of the house.  It won't provide internet service over the entire house @ approximately 2,600 square feet.  We got a router ''booster'' for the kitchen area in hopes that it would help with the internet coverage...it doesn't.  Would you suggest a better router - or router booster?  If so, will you please make recommendations?  I would like the biggest and best !  Seeing that my laptop is showing a '''weak signal'' is driving me nuts.  Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for a router/ booster please.

[ Edited ]

Before you buy anything reboot your router. That will update the router software and improve performance. Also the age of your router is important. Older routers, just like other electronic devices, get outdated and don't perform well with today's higher speeds. If it's getting close to 5yo then buy a new one and then see how the new one performs before buying extenders/boosters.

To reboot a router unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet, wait 15 seconds and then plug it back into the wall outlet. Reboot time usually takes a couple of minutes. Nothing will be changed or lost after it boots back up.

Trusted Contributor

@sarahpanda 

Were you unable to get a signal in the kitchen before you put the booster there? If so, that's the reason the booster isn't helping. The booster needs to be in an area where it can receive a signal in order to transmit. Try putting it in a room that's as far as you can get from the main modem/router without losing the signal. Hope I'm explaining that in a way that makes sense.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have this mesh router system, and it is amazing!  It was a CNET recommendation last fall, and we couldn't be happier with it.  We couldn't get wi-fi on one end of our covered patio and could barely get it in one end of our kitchen.  Now we get wi-fi both places with a full signal along with getting it out in my husband's shop!  There are many reviews on it if you want to google it.  There are also many reviews on YouTube.

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 6.57.00 AM.png

Honored Contributor

Routers vary wildly in strength. Local Burger Kings have the strongest routers I've ever seen. I logged into their free internet one day while eating there and since then whenever I'm in range of a Burger King my phone picks up their signal. I start getting a signal from them from about a half-mile away. In some cases, I didn't even know there was a Burger King around, but then my phone goes nuts with notifications and sure enough, there's a Burger King nearby. 

A router centrally located in a 2600 sq ft house should cover the whole house, but anything metal in the path can cause issues. I'd suggest trying to move the router around to even slightly different locations. Sometimes just moving a foot or two is all it takes. And change the elevation and see if that matters. Put it on the floor and then as high up as you can and see if it helps. 

If you're old like me, you remember how we used to have to fidget with transistor radios to get a good signal. The same holds true with routers. Slightly different locations can often provide vastly better results.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg   Thank you for your recommendation but I have a question.  My daughter (who helps me with this kind of stuff) said after reading about the WiFi system you suggested to me - that it says it runs from an app on your phone.  Is she correct about that?   And other than that, is it easy to set up??  Thank you for your input.

Respected Contributor

@Caffeina   I can get a 'strong' signal, as noted on my laptop, in the room where the modem is.  The further I get away from that room, the signal gets weaker /non existent. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sarahpanda wrote:

@Ainhisg   Thank you for your recommendation but I have a question.  My daughter (who helps me with this kind of stuff) said after reading about the WiFi system you suggested to me - that it says it runs from an app on your phone.  Is she correct about that?   And other than that, is it easy to set up??  Thank you for your input.

Yes, you control it from an app that's available for android systems and iOS systems...tablets or phones. I have the app on my android phone and on my iPad, and it works flawlessly on both. That being said, after the initial setup, we haven't had to use the app for anything.  The set up was SO easy. It tells you on the app step by step what to do. We were so impressed with the Kasa company that we bought several Kasa smart home plugs and switches, and they've worked flawlessly, too. (And were easy to set up...)

Trusted Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@Caffeina   I can get a 'strong' signal, as noted on my laptop, in the room where the modem is.  The further I get away from that room, the signal gets weaker /non existent. 

@sarahpanda 

That's why you don't want to put the booster in the kitchen. If your laptop can't receive a signal in the kitchen, your booster can't receive a signal there either. The booster can't transmit a signal if it can't receive one.

What's the room is the furthest from the router in which your laptop can still receive a decent signal? That's the room where you want to put the booster. Try doing that, and see if your laptop can connect to it from the kitchen.

Not everyone needs to spend $200+ to extend a WiFi signal. I use one of the small boosters that's plugged into an outlet. I can be outside over 20 feet from my house and connect to it. I bought it several years ago in Aldi for only $20.

Just curious. What's the brand and model of your current modem/router?

Respected Contributor

@Caffeina   It says HUGHES HT2000W  on the front of the tower thingy with the blinking vertical lights on the front.  (you can enjoy my expertise in that comment)