Trusted Contributor

Re: Need help looking for a computer.

[ Edited ]

IMG_0587.jpegI generally prefer HP but do have a dell laptop for work.  I've bought 3 HP computers here over the years and all have done very well.  If you are considering refurbished, Amazon is the way to go,  

. Here are a few from Amazon that are new however.

Respected Contributor

I converted to an apple laptop a couple years ago. No viruses to worry about. There is a little bit of a learning curve using it if you're used to windows.

Honored Contributor

@Tori3569 : Thank you. I was looking on Amazon and feel uneasy about the refurbished information and the prices are higher.

The refurbished information on EBay stated by Microsoft certified  centers and includes a one year warranty.

DH stated he has spent a lot of time on Amazon and has concerns.Plus DH really prefers Windows 10.

Great to know that you are satisfied with your purchase.

Honored Contributor

@SaveTheTurtles : DH prefers the computer and doesn't want a laptop.

@SaveTheTurtles wrote:

I converted to an apple laptop a couple years ago. No viruses to worry about. There is a little bit of a learning curve using it if you're used to windows.

Honored Contributor

Refurbished computers are often a very good deal. Sites like Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, and Newegg all sell refurbs at good prices. Many companies lease computers these days and typically lease more than they need so they have spares. A refurb can be essentially new if it was a spare or rarely used leased computer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Meowingkitty : DH is 68 and is more comfortable with his old preferences.

I'm 68 and my husband is 69. We just bought a new HP earlier this year from Costco. 

I'm over 69 and keep up with technology.  Your brain doesn't stop working at 65 but, it will if you don't keep challenging it. 

Honored Contributor

@gadgetgal613 : Y'all , I totally agree and understand. DH is really set on certain things. I was looking on Amazon/ Woot at the computers, DH wants the tower and not interested in the desktop all in one.

@gadgetgal613 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Meowingkitty : DH is 68 and is more comfortable with his old preferences.

I'm 68 and my husband is 69. We just bought a new HP earlier this year from Costco. 

I'm over 69 and keep up with technology.  Your brain doesn't stop working at 65 but, it will if you don't keep challenging it. 

Honored Contributor

@gardenman : Thank you. I have looked at everything but Newegg  and will see what they have. DH is retired military with PTSD, but loves his computer and comfortable with what he is using . But he will use my Amazon firetablet to watch any of his sports not on regular tv.😀.

@gardenman wrote:

Refurbished computers are often a very good deal. Sites like Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, and Newegg all sell refurbs at good prices. Many companies lease computers these days and typically lease more than they need so they have spares. A refurb can be essentially new if it was a spare or rarely used leased computer.

Esteemed Contributor

I personally prefer Apple products.. much more user friendly.  However, for my office I have a Dell Desktop.   Why doesn't he check the Dell website or call Dell and speak to a representative to see what would meet his needs.  

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Even if MS is "ending support" in 2025, your pc will still work.  I have a laptop with Windows 7 Vista and it runs fine. I kid you not. 😁

You could always check eBay for a refurbished unit.

One note about HP, I saw a laptop on HSN for dirt cheap but it specified that MS Office subscription was required or the laptop won't operate?

Windows 7 Vista was my favorite as it worked flawlessly always.  I don't have it anymore though.