Honored Contributor

Need advice on picking out a 2 in 1/laptop or whatever

I posted several months ago about possibly buying a tablet or something for DH.  Well, our very old Mac desk top is still chugging along but I don't think it is long for this world. It has been a great machine, but it's gotten to the point where updates are next to impossible and our printer no longer jives with it.  We have decided that after the first of the year we want to purchase a laptop, or 2 in 1 or something --- no more desk tops.  I do like Apple and think they are very good and the security seems excellent.  However, they are very expensive (at least to me) and I don't think they are the easiest to operate.  

I am kind of leaning more toward a notebook or laptop as opposed to a tablet.  DH and I don't have complicated use needs.  We both basically surf the net, do e-mails, and I occasionally type a few documents.  DH listends to a lot of music and I occasionally watch a show or movie.  I don't know what else we would need?  We are not computer saavy at all.  

I have several questons.  What device do you think would be best for us?  If we do not go with Apple, what other brands do you feel are reputable, and have good security?  And, what do you feel about reburbished machines?  Any good???  Also, this may seem like a very dumb question but can you print using any of these devices?  Do you get a wireless printer??? 

I would really like your help and input and suggestions.  We don't want to wait until our current computer blows up to get another one!

Thanks so very much-- I appreicate your patience in answering these questions which probably seem very elementary!!   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need advice on picking out a 2 in 1/laptop or whatever

I have both a laptop and an iPad and they are different experiences.  Perhaps you two need to think what and where you may wish to hold a tablet as opposed to if you want to sit at laptop.  I have never found a laptop good to just hold.

Super Contributor

Personally, I would get an iPad for each of you. There’s not much that you can’t do with them than on a laptop, especially if you’re not a heavy user. I use mine all of the time. I hardly use my desktop. You can write documents, pay bills, and everything else that you mentioned. I think that they are safer to use. You can always get a keyboard case if you want. They may still have the 2018 iPad 128g on sale at Best Buy, Amazon, QVC, and HSN. They are more portable and since you already have an Apple (iTunes) account, it’s transferable if using the existing account. The only thing is that you might not want to share one. 

Esteemed Contributor

Buying a new device/computer can be overwhelming. There are so many options!

I've used HP, Dell, MacBook, Chromebook, and iPad over the years.  Last year at work I was issued a Lenova ThinkPad.  Never heard of the brand and as a somewhat Apple fan, I was a little skeptical.  That Lenova blew me away!  Fold it over and it's a tablet with apps; leave it like a laptop and it's got a touch screen.  It had Microsoft software and many of the apps I used on my iPad.  For the price, I'd consider getting a Lenova ThinkPad for home since it can handle what I usually do outside of work like surf the web, check emails, type documents.  There are several prices within that brand due to different models and memory.  

I once had a Chromebook issued at work that didn't have any slots for a USB.  Didn't think that was possible!  Just sharing that as a reminder to be sure to check out all the options/features and make sure you get what you need.  

Super Contributor

I don’t know anything about these but HSN has 2 HP Stream laptops for $399.99 for 2. It might not hurt going to their website and watching the taped presentation. Or maybe catching a new presentation today. Just a thought, at least, you have until January 31st to return if you don’t like them. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, I have a Samsung Chromebook Pro that is a 2 in 1. First I don't recommend this model as I have had it a little over a year and have had it repaired twice ( I paid $500 for it when I could have gotten a Chromebook for a lot less). The point I want to make is I have never used it as a tablet ( it folds over), I think using it like that is too clunky and awkward. I would get a tablet that fits your budget be it a Kindle or iPad ( I have 2 Kindles and an iPad that I actually use more than the chromebook).

Frequent Contributor

I prefer a laptop over a tablet. If you are going to get a pc, I would recommend that you get one with a SSD.I bought one a few months ago and I love it.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I have both a laptop and an iPad and they are different experiences.  Perhaps you two need to think what and where you may wish to hold a tablet as opposed to if you want to sit at laptop.  I have never found a laptop good to just hold.

@Still Raining

I was thinking that the functions were more important.  But are the functions of them basically the same?  I think that DH would like to be able to sit in his hair and use it.  Me --- I'd probably still sit at my desk and use it but might occasionally use in other rooms.  Thank you!!  

Honored Contributor

@Toot1920 wrote:

Personally, I would get an iPad for each of you. There’s not much that you can’t do with them than on a laptop, especially if you’re not a heavy user. I use mine all of the time. I hardly use my desktop. You can write documents, pay bills, and everything else that you mentioned. I think that they are safer to use. You can always get a keyboard case if you want. They may still have the 2018 iPad 128g on sale at Best Buy, Amazon, QVC, and HSN. They are more portable and since you already have an Apple (iTunes) account, it’s transferable if using the existing account. The only thing is that you might not want to share one. 

@Toot1920

Thank you for your reply. So,you use an IPad for pretty much everything?  And you say that you can add a keyboard case.  You feel the IPad meets all of your needs?

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Buying a new device/computer can be overwhelming. There are so many options!

I've used HP, Dell, MacBook, Chromebook, and iPad over the years.  Last year at work I was issued a Lenova ThinkPad.  Never heard of the brand and as a somewhat Apple fan, I was a little skeptical.  That Lenova blew me away!  Fold it over and it's a tablet with apps; leave it like a laptop and it's got a touch screen.  It had Microsoft software and many of the apps I used on my iPad.  For the price, I'd consider getting a Lenova ThinkPad for home since it can handle what I usually do outside of work like surf the web, check emails, type documents.  There are several prices within that brand due to different models and memory.  

I once had a Chromebook issued at work that didn't have any slots for a USB.  Didn't think that was possible!  Just sharing that as a reminder to be sure to check out all the options/features and make sure you get what you need.  

@wildcat fan

I was telling DH that I heard good things about this brand -- Lenova.  He had never heard of it.  Sounds really great.  Thank you.