Honored Contributor

Re: Need advice on picking out a 2 in 1/laptop or whatever

@Still Raining wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

I have both a laptop and an iPad and they are different experiences.  Perhaps you two need to think what and where you may wish to hold a tablet as opposed to if you want to sit at laptop.  I have never found a laptop good to just hold.

@Still Raining

I was thinking that the functions were more important.  But are the functions of them basically the same?  I think that DH would like to be able to sit in his hair and use it.  Me --- I'd probably still sit at my desk and use it but might occasionally use in other rooms.  Thank you!!  

@AngelPuppy1I still use Office for some work related things and do not find that Numbers is as good.  So for me a laptop (on a table) is needed.  For longer emails I find the laptop keyboard better too.  Easy to get spoiled.

@Still Raining

Thanks. I am used to working on a regular desk-top computer so I would probably find the transition to a laptop easier than going to a tablet.  But, I guess we'll see.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and input!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

We have CB's and love them. No virus protection to get because it is built in and no windows updates. It the CB updates itself in seconds. The CB is getting better and better now with the arrival of the google store. I would never go back to a windows computer again! That is my recommendation for you O/P.

@apple1964

Does CB stand for chromebook?  If so, you mean it has they have built in virus protection?  This is something I am extremely worried about.  With the IMac (Apple),we never really worried about it because their protection is excellent and they send updates all the time.  With the though of getting a new device, I am worried about protection --- what to get, the expense, etc.  

Yes it stands for chrome book. No need to worry CB's have nothing to do with imac.  We get updates all the time too. And we do not have to worry about the horrible windows 10 updates. We are protected! Once you get used to the settings and your way around the chrome book device you are good to go. [and we pay nothing for virus protection it is build in]

Honored Contributor

If money is an issue, then I'd start with a low cost option to experiment with and see how you like it. I mostly use my 10" Fire tablet for things these days. You can get the 7" version for $50, the 8" for around $80 and the 10" one for about $100+ (on sale.) If you find it's all you need, then congrats!  If not, you may be able to return it or regift it to someone else who it would suit. 

The next cheapest option would be a ChromeBook and they need no virus or malware protection as everything is built in. You're now using a desktop which means you've likely already got a monitor, keyboard and mouse, so another option would be to get a ChromeBox which is essentially a desktop version of a ChromeBook that uses your existing monitor, keyboard and mouse. (Check the specs though, your old keyboard and mouse may need to be updated if they don't connect by USB.)

The number of options is virtually unlimited these days. There are stick computers ("stickpc" if you need to Gogogle them) you can attach directly to your HDTV via an HDMI port that let you do pretty much all you say you need to do right at your HDTV. Those start at under $100. You need to add a wireless keyboard and mouse/trackpad, but they're yet another option.

If none of those suit your needs then you can move up the chain to other options like a conventional windows or Apple laptop where there's everything from the very basic to $10,000 hgh end gaming rigs available.

If it was me, I'd ask around and see if a relative or friend had an old tablet they'd let me borrow to play with. Try it out for a bit and see how it suits your needs. If it does, great, you know what to get. If not, ask around and see if anyone has an old laptop they'd let you borrow. (Getting rid of old electronics is something of a pain, so people tend to dump them in a closet or drawer in case they need it again later.) 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!