Esteemed Contributor

Need Device to Listen to Radio as a Passenger While Husband is Driving

I'd appreciate your learned opinions regarding my need to purchase a device that will allow me to listen to the radio while my husband and I are in the car.

He doesn't care for the talk radio I like to listen to, so I thought that I should plug my ears into some sort of device, but don't know what it might be.

Our '07 Sentra has no bells and whistles, so I probably need a stand-alone product I can set down on my lap, then plug into my ears.

Any ideas? Thanks very much!

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Device to Listen to Radio as a Passenger While Husband is Driving

iPod

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

I have an iPod. How do you get radio on it? I know there are internet radio stations you can get but you have to be connected to the internet for that. The iPod does not have a radio receiver built in.

Super Contributor

You could download an app for radio or download some talk radio podcasts.

Valued Contributor

If you have an android or iPhone, there are many radio apps, NPR, I Heart Radio, Pandora.

Honored Contributor

You can probably go to Best Buy or Radio Shack and buy a little portable AM/FM radio for 20 bucks. Or if you have a smart phone there are some AM and FM radio apps in the iTunes store, and there probably are in the android store too. Alternatively most of the talk radio programs are also published as podcasts and you can just download them to listen on an MP3 player, iPhone, iPod or other device. Then there is also satellite radio which also carries most of the major talk radio programming. There is a Sirius/XM app in the iTunes store and they used to sell a portable device. I'd check programming first to see if they carry your favorite.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

smart phone.....i have xm/sirius on my cell phone, but it isnt free. there are also lots of your local radio and tv stations that have apps where you can listen for free usually. all you have to do is download it onto your phone or even a tablet.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

On 8/8/2014 VolvoGirl said:

I have an iPod. How do you get radio on it? I know there are internet radio stations you can get but you have to be connected to the internet for that. The iPod does not have a radio receiver built in.

I think most of the iTunes radio apps are designed for iPhone and iPad and rely on an internet connection to pick up the service. At least that's how it works with my Sirius/XM app. Having said that, the iPod nano comes with an FM radio tuner that uses an antenna in the earphones.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 8/8/2014 VolvoGirl said:

I have the iPod Nano 5th Generation w/video. I assumed all iPods had a radio receiver. Mine does & it's 5 years old.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

Why not turn OFF the radio in the car.....AND TALK to each other?