Frequent Contributor

Re: Need Advice on Laptop Purchase - PLEASE!

Thank you all.  I've been looking for a new laptop.  Your feedback is so helpful!

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Have you thought about a Chrome book ? They are very inexpensive and can do all you want and more. It has more space because it goes to the cloud plus the battery time is very large. Built in virus protection and updates very often. Not only do you have cloud space for files and music and everything else but, most come with 4GB of storage which is more then enough and we have now the play store and cloud based games are coming soon [if your a gamer] I love mine and did not spend more then 300 for all four we have [I mean by device] The settings are a little different but, once you find where everything is your in. It is very easy to operate. 

@apple1964, I'm kinda leaning towards CB, though I've always coveted Apple devices, gotta go with best price.  I did read online that now after the auto-updates aare over (5yrs.) you can now update it yourself - so that's a positive.  Thanx!

Oh, your quite welcome..It is always exciting to get a new device [at least for me].  Happy shopping!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

Android apps in my experience run better on a smartphone. You will receive a message. "May not be optimized for this device", or they will say tablet. This happens when you are updating an app. I had apps refuse to install on a tablet.  I am talking about you, Comcast, Amazon has some of the best. 
Please post about your new CB,and how well the Google Play Store apps run.

Enjoy your new toy.

@Nuttmeg ,

Just wanted to post an update.

My new CB came with the Google Play Store, but it needs to be loaded before you can use it. Once loaded it appears just like any other GP store screen showing you apps to choose from. I don't use apps but I did load the Q's app just to see if it would work and it seems to be fine. I'm just not a big app user. But what a remarkle feature to have in a laptop...a true hybrid!

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@sarahpanda, I'm not familiar with Chrombook.  Is it a system similar to Windows?

I did have an Acer years ago; screen was too ting, but Acer is a good brand.  Thanks!

A chrome book has nothing to do with a windows device. They both run differently. I love my Chrome books the settings are easy to use and it never needs virus protection because, it is built in. The Chrome book runs on a Chrome OS and a windows device runs windows programs. They are cheaper and the battery has a longer lifespan when in use then a Laptop. Once I got use to the settings it made sense to me and it was easy to navigate  though. and then I was set.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanx, @stevieb !

I'm gonna scoot up to Best Buy this week - it's right in town.  Would you believe, it dumped me twice today!  Windows 10 and HP are a toxic combination, imho.  I'm just debating with myself whether or not to cancel my computer class.  I think the HS kids get credit for doing this and don't want to hurt his feelings - think this laptop is beyond fixing.

Would you mind suggesting a good operating system for the CB?  And is it difficult to sync over from Windows to CB?

Thanx!

(OT just watched Y&R - love Adam - feel so bad for him!)

Windows is toxic to any computer period! You can not sync windows and chrome books as I said they run by two different operating systems. It would not be difficult it would be impossible.Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

Android apps in my experience run better on a smartphone. You will receive a message. "May not be optimized for this device", or they will say tablet. This happens when you are updating an app. I had apps refuse to install on a tablet.  I am talking about you, Comcast, Amazon has some of the best. 
Please post about your new CB,and how well the Google Play Store apps run.

Enjoy your new toy.

@Nuttmeg ,

Just wanted to post an update.

My new CB came with the Google Play Store, but it needs to be loaded before you can use it. Once loaded it appears just like any other GP store screen showing you apps to choose from. I don't use apps but I did load the Q's app just to see if it would work and it seems to be fine. I'm just not a big app user. But what a remarkle feature to have in a laptop...a true hybrid!

Good for you, now you know what I and others have been saying. You will be amazed and what it does and continues to do. We now have the playstore and cloud based games are coming soon. Enjoy your new baby!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@apple1964 wrote:

@eddyandme wrote:

Thanx, @stevieb !

I'm gonna scoot up to Best Buy this week - it's right in town.  Would you believe, it dumped me twice today!  Windows 10 and HP are a toxic combination, imho.  I'm just debating with myself whether or not to cancel my computer class.  I think the HS kids get credit for doing this and don't want to hurt his feelings - think this laptop is beyond fixing.

Would you mind suggesting a good operating system for the CB?  And is it difficult to sync over from Windows to CB?

Thanx!

(OT just watched Y&R - love Adam - feel so bad for him!)

Windows is toxic to any computer period! You can not sync windows and chrome books as I said they run by two different operating systems. It would not be difficult it would be impossible.Smiley Frustrated

You can share  the Chrome browser, Google tools, and Gmail on a Window Computer. You can use them also on a CB. 

Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

hi @stevieb 

Thanks very much for your input.

Now, I'm on the fense about CB - only because of the google search engine.  I prefer Bing.  The issue I have issues with google.

@ScenicMaine 

If you have “issues” with Google, please be aware that the Chromebook OS is designed by Google.

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette 

Thank you.  I'll take that into consideration as well.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@ScenicMaine wrote:

hi @stevieb 

Thanks very much for your input.

Now, I'm on the fense about CB - only because of the google search engine.  I prefer Bing.  The issue I have issues with google.

@ScenicMaine 

If you have “issues” with Google, please be aware that the Chromebook OS is designed by Google.

I have "issues" with Microsoft (who doesn't?) LOL!...no issues with Google...not yet anyway.