Respected Contributor

What do you look for in a new TV, of course, determing the size you want.

I'm not streaming, I don't have Alexa.  

Anyone know?  Nice to talk to someone on here because they aren't on commission let's say like a Best Buy salesperson.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEW TV Help

[ Edited ]

I look for brand name, size, (I like 60") picture quality and of course price. I like Costco for TV's . They have a good selection and no salesmen.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

What do you look for in a new TV, of course, determing the size you want.

I'm not streaming, I don't have Alexa.  

Anyone know?  Nice to talk to someone on here because they aren't on commission let's say like a Best Buy salesperson.

you can google how to size a TV for your room

to start with , 

figure out the size TV you will need then how much you want to spend

search for buy a TV and look at different specs, it's been a few years since we got new ones so I can't tell you much about that 

Respected Contributor

I haven't done wall-mount so if I can, I choose one that's on a base that can swivel. My current tv doesn't have that feature and I wish it did. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do buy:

- the size you want (buy the biggest one, no one ever said "I should have bought a smaller one")

- nothing less than 4K resolution

- 120 Hz refresh rate

- OLED or QLED (those have better screen quality than regular LCD, QLED is the middle-ground, OLED is expensive)

- at least 4 HDMI ports

Don't buy:

- Less than 4K resolution

- 8K resolution

- extended warranty

Brands to search for (QLED):

Samsung, Vizio, TCL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

All I want in a TV is it has excellent color, high resolution, at least 4K, 240 motion rate, always works when I turn it on, is easy to set up, the reasons I always choose Sony.  Reliability is very important to me.  Never had a Sony last less than 15 years with heavy use.  Some were over 20 with no problems.  

I don't need a TV to get my coffee and make my breakfast, so all the fancy additions are not for me, but I don't think Sony has any available that don't have some.  

I like Sony's top of the line Bravia XBR.  Haven't looked at the models for a few years, but I would choose a new one again from that line. Sony changes their models from year to year, so I might have to choose a similar line.    

Esteemed Contributor

The last time we bought a t.v. we did it online at Amazon.  Love the selection and the thousands of reviews and that we can look at them at our leisure.  Since we live in a town of 20,000 the only real local option to buy a t.v. is Wal-Mart.  Another thing about Amazon is that the shipping is free and fast, plus on a big ticket item I get enough points that all by itself I can buy another nice item.

Honored Contributor

I know I won't buy another Samsung TV.  It's has their own channel, Samsung Plus, built in.  It's old sit coms, music videos, cooking shows, Bob Ross 24/7... Lots of stuff I'm not remotely interested in.  It wants to dominate what I watch.  I can't tune into many antenna channels including QVC, HSN as it blocks them.  I even sought out directions for removing it but they were too complicated. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling @I look for one that lasts longer than three years. Say no to Samsung and LG and go for SONY. My Samsung and LG did not last.

I look for very good picture quality.

I look for good build quality. A TV that is not flimsy. 

I look for the highest definition other than OLED. I don't want to spend the extra money for OLED.I bought 4K because regular High Def was not available in the better TVs. I never use the 4 K feature because you need higher speed internet in the home to use it and because I'm connected to my directv satellite box, which is set at 180P. A higher speed internet isn't offered to me yet. When it is, I'll upgrade and try watching a few movies shot in 4K. 

I look for Smart TV capabilities, so I can use my DirecTV set top box to watch all my Directv Subscription channels  or I can switch to Smart TV and watch via the internet. Then I can watch Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, HBO MAX, YouTube, Google. VERY FLEXIBLE. When the DirecTV box goes down due to cloud cover or a storm (from the satellite  signal being blocked) I just switch over a day watch something on the Smart TV  using the internet.

Size

Good sound. It does not have to be fantastic sound, just pretty good sound, not requiring a sound bar to hear well.

I love my Sony. I ordered it from Amazon. It was their best model the year I bought it. 

Honored Contributor

I love my Sony. I ordered it from Amazon. It was their best model the year I bought it. 

@Mindy D 

I agree with Sony.  IMO, the best on the market.