Respected Contributor

NEED AN OLDER iPHONE...BUT WHERE & ETC?... HELP...

I don't have a smart phone, but have decided I am in the market to get one. I want an iPhone since I am familiar and comfortable with the OS. I will probably get a used one, but don't want to buy it on line.

So, where do they sell them? Do Mac stores sell older iPhones? Oh, can I also get Apple insurance in case I need some help?

And, do you have any suggestions as to what version would be a good one?

Also want a decent camera and good battery life.

I am really in the dark about it.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP.

Respected Contributor

Re: NEED AN OLDER iPHONE...BUT WHERE & ETC?... HELP...

Best Buy sells refurbished IPhones....

Valued Contributor

For many years my hubbie has bought older refurbished iPhones to use with the phone service Ting. The phones have been under $300. Ting phone service is about $15/month, sometimes a few bucks more depending upon usage. He swears by this as a great budget phone option. You can buy both a refurbished iPhone configured for the Ting phone service from Best Buy as well as other sources. 

Trusted Contributor

When purchasing an older iPhone depending on how old you are looking for you will need to purchase online.  Make sure it is compatible with your cell phone carrier.

When purchasing you will need at least an iPhone 8 to make sure it is compatible with IOS updates. One issue with the older models is that eventually they aren't compatible with the IOS updates and each update makes the phone slower.

Applecare is not available on all of the older models.  Personally I have never purchased Apple Care or any insurance on my phones as its a waste of money.

Regular Contributor

I have an iPhone XR that I bought in 2018. Still works great, no problems with updating, at least not yet. You. might want to check Apple's website to find out how long older models will continue to be supported. 

Respected Contributor

@Flatbush I checked apple dot com and they have an iPhone SE that begins at $420. I did not search the site for refurbished phones. I like to buy my Apple products at an Apple Store. They will help you set up your phone and have the Genius Bar if you need help later. If you do not have one in your area, ordering from Apple online is fast. They have the product to you quickly. They offer support online, and I have spoken to a person in the past. Explain this is your first iPhone and they are quite patient.

If you are looking to understand the phone progression, there is a feature that shows all the models Apple has ever produced and allows comparison on their site.

Trusted Contributor

I would check the deals with carriers right now. Verizon gives a new iPhone if you add a line with them. They also give you an iPad and an Apple Watch with certain deals. There are similar with AT&T. You’re better off with a new iPhone for the updates and better battery performance, especially if you get it for free.
Respected Contributor

I have had quite a few iPhones.  The best one ever for me was the iPhone 10 or X.  Wish I would have never upgraded.  

These brand new phones are ridiculously priced.  

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush 

I wouldn't get too hung up on the OS. If everything you have is in the Apple ecosystem, then yeah, an Apple iPhone makes sense for you, but in terms of daily usage, Apple and Android are very, very similar. On either system you'll have simple icons to touch to launch apps and the apps function largely the same on Apple and Android. There will be a learning curve with either system, but neither one is difficult. Smart phones aren't something where you spend a lot of time in the OS. It's just there doing its job.

A few years back I was in the waiting room of a doctor's office when a woman was ready to leave. She found her iPhone battery had died and asked if she could use my phone to call her daughter to pick her up. I said sure and handed her my phone. She handed it back and said she didn't realize it was an Android and it was too complicated for her. I smiled and said, "See the phone shaped icon? Touch that." She did. I then showed her how to enter the phone number and she was amazed. "That's just like my iPhone!" She was shocked that you didn't need an engineering degree to use an Android phone. Apple and many of their users make other operating systems sound far more complicated than they are, but in reality, in terms of daily use, they're all about the same.

If everything you have is in the Apple ecosystem, then yeah, an iPhone makes sense for you. But if you think one OS is easier to use than another, eh, not so much.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Go to your phone carrier, they will have older models but are new and will cost next to nothing if you have a contract with them for a couple of years.

The reason I've had to get a new iphone every so often is because Apple stops updating older operating systems. Suddenly I've got a phone that doesn't work for my Apps (like Overdrive from my Library to get e-books)  because it can no longer be updated.  If you buy a really old used phone, you will not have that long to use it.