Honored Contributor

NEED ADVICE DEALING WITH TRACFONE

Long story short, I have had a Samsung with Tracfone for about 3 years, and have used the number given at time of purchase.  I've also had a phone with Verizon that is being phased out - a 3G and I used it up to the last minute because I really like the Blackberry-style with keyboard.  Anyway, times up.

I called Tracfone a few times in the past week, and they said they can change my phone #, no problem and I could also finish the most recently purchased plan minutes and time.

Well, last night the number changed from my Verizon account to my Tracfone account ... but it says my plan ends TODAY and I need to buy a new plan. 

I've spoken to a rep this morning and they said they "can't find" my old number, so no transfer of minutes & time can be done.

???

Since it's my account ... shouldn't it transfer from one phone to the next?   I am currently waiting for a supervisor to call me back .... any thoughts on this would be VERY much appreciated!  

Regular Contributor

Re: NEED ADVICE DEALING WITH TRACFONE

I wish I could help you with your problem. All I know is something strange is going on with Tracfone.

I've had Tracfone for probably 20 years. I get a new phone every year and have had no problems activating it on their web site until 2 days ago. I bought a new Moto G Stylus from HSN and when I went to the Tracfone web site it just didn't look right to me. I answered the questions about keeping my number, put in the IMEI number, etc. Then they said I had to buy more service, which I shouldn't have to since the new phone was the one with 1500/1500/year service and my old Samsung had plenty of time left, too. Then they tried to change my phone number to a really strange number when I said in the activation I wanted to keep my old number.

I gave up on it. I did a factory reset on the new Moto G phone and returned it to HSN.

There's nothing wrong with my Samsung (I wanted to upgrade to 5G) but I'm waiting awhile until they get their web site straightened out.

Good luck with your problem.

Respected Contributor

@Hmmmmm24 next time, consider using Tracfone's private message on Facebook. That's what I use, and before I start, I have the rep verify my minutes/texts/data. I take a screenshot of that and then tell them I want to activate a new phone.  They do all the work, and then if there's an issue, they're right there to fix it. They always have me make a call, get a text, try the data, etc. to make sure everything is working.

Regular Contributor

I had a tracfone for years and got disgusted with them and transferred to Consumer Cellular.  They are great and not expensive.  It is the best thing I ever did.  They are helpful and they are located out west and they all speak english.

Regular Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@Hmmmmm24 next time, consider using Tracfone's private message on Facebook. That's what I use, and before I start, I have the rep verify my minutes/texts/data. I take a screenshot of that and then tell them I want to activate a new phone.  They do all the work, and then if there's an issue, they're right there to fix it. They always have me make a call, get a text, try the data, etc. to make sure everything is working.

Thanks, I've chatted on their web site before, but I had no idea I could do a FB private message. Since there's nothing wrong with my Samsung, I'm still going to wait awhile.

Respected Contributor

Yes, Tracfone has changed more since they were purchased by Verizon. One of the blogs I follow says to ask them to do chat and ask them to check your balance before any changes are made. That way the balance is in the chat as proof of what you had. 

Glad you kicked it up to a supervisor. 

Honored Contributor

Companies are quicker to respond to issues when posted on social media than through other contact means these days. Post about your problem on their Twitter or other social media sites and odds are they'll get in contact with you very quickly to resolve the issue. They really don't want any negativity on social media. Most companies seem to be prioritizing issues posted on social media over other means of communication.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We live in an area with very poor cell service.  I've had a few Tracfones over the years with mixed results.  My last one was a Motorola.  That thing drove me nuts.  Every time I turned it on it had uploaded a bunch of new features, games and websites I'd never heard of.  And that Hello Moto greeting every time almost had me throwing the phone out the window.  All that stuff and I could rarely make a phone call unless I was in town.  That did it for me.  Ted Danson sold me on Consumer Cellular and I now have a phone for less than 20.00 a month that performs at the same level of service of Tracfone without all the extra junk on it.  And CS is great, you get to talk to people who have English as their first language.