Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

This sounds  a lot like your problem. You might want to give it a look.

https://www.macissues.com/2015/05/08/how-to-fix-your-mac-not-waking-from-sleep/

It really is dead now.  I was reading the newspaper and the screen suddenly went black.  Nothing I've tried has worked.  With it being Easter Sunday, no stores are open.  I have time Monday to take it in to be checked out but, unless it's something easy to fix, I'm buying new.  

It's probably the power supply. They can get a bit quirky before dying. It's a relatively cheap and easy fix on a Windows PC. Probably more expensive on a Mac. Good luck!

Sounds like it to me.  When it comes to hardware, nothing on a iMac is DIY. 

There are people on the lunatic fringe side of computing who run the MAC/OS on Windows based hardware. They tend to call these hybrid computers "Hackintosh" computers. To say it's challenging and complicated is an understatement, but it can be done and then you're just dealing with typical PC hardware which is typically more powerful, less expensive and easier to upgrade or repair. It's not easy however. Google "Hackintosh" if you're intrigued. For most users, you spend about an hour assembling the computer and then thirty or more hours tweaking everything to make it work. Then you have to pray the next MAC/OS update doesn't mess everything up. It can be done though and there's a decent sized community of people doing it. I wouldn't recommend it, but you can save some money and get a faster, more powerful computer, just with lots of headaches.

Way, way back Apple used their own proprietary hardware and you really couldn't just buy off the shelf stuff to make one. These days they use off the shelf hardware with minor tweaks, so if you don't mind driving yourself a little crazy, you can build a Hackintosh and lots of people do.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: My iMac is dead

[ Edited ]

As I've written many times, I've installed hard drives, power supplies, fans, memory, USB cards, ethernet cards and CD-ROM/DVD drives.  But to get to those components on an iMac, you have to take off the screen which I have no idea how to do.  I have time to take it in tomorrow and I'll ask for a diagnostic test.  If it's easy and inexpensive, I'll have it fixed.  Otherwise, I'll ask for the hard drive and buy a new iMac.  Using a 15 inch screen is driving me crazy. 

Respected Contributor

Well, it started working again.  I immediately made another backup, saved everything important to iCloud and bought a new power cord.  So far, so good.  I've been talking about restoring it to factory conditions and now is the time. I'm President of a club and had a document on it I couldn't access from my other devices.  I've never been one to save to the cloud when creating new documents but, this has shown me how important it really is. 

It's been several days and no problems with the computer starting or coming out of hibernation.  No unexpected shutdowns either.  Perhaps gardenman is right and the power cord was the problem.  I still want a new iMac so perhaps this is a sign.