Trusted Contributor

Re: My first post . Can anyone tell me how to copy and paste with windows 8.1 ?

On 8/8/2014 geezerette said:
On 8/8/2014 KJPA said:

geezerette, thanks for your kind words! I'm a tech writer, trainer and support desk person as well as a software tester, business analyst, yada yada. Small companies have people who wear many hats Smiley Wink

I'm also self-taught on most of this stuff because my degree in computer science is SOOOOO old. We didn't even have home computers back then! LOL

Anyway, I've been in this position myself and I'm always learning new things. Sometimes I know how to do advanced things and don't know some of the basics! We should never make light of any honest question because we don't know what the other person has used in the past, etc.

Good luck to all and I enjoy this Electronics forum with all of you Smiley Wink

I can relate--I'm 'self-taught' because when I was working in an office, we didn't even have any type of computer--I used a typewriter!

And I also agree about not remembering the basics. I'm at the age that if I don't use a particular feature on, say, 'Word', for a while I forget how to do it. Heck, sometimes even if I use something all the time, I still forget how to do it!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I guess something about the graciousness of all the replies to this thread got to me. With all the rudeness and downright mean stuff going around today, this just seemed so, well, nice. And refreshing. I'm getting old...

I guess me too! But your posts made me smile! Thanks!

KJPA
Super Contributor

KJPA, thank you. I will give it a try.
Occasional Contributor

On 8/8/2014 mima said:

India, did you find the old desktop look on your windows 8?

Yes , but nothing works . I would love to go back to windows 7 . I love to copy and paste current events and pictures on a Hair forum for ladies . Maybe the Geek squad can help . I really appreciate all of the people that understand my struggle without laughing . Thank you .Smile

Honored Contributor

I have 8.1 and I just tried it on this page. I right clicked to highlight and then left clicked, I had both clicked at the same time, but I don't think that matters. As I left clicked with the selection highlighted a little drop down menu appeared out of nowhere and it said "copy". I did not copy, but you can. When you are ready to paste, I am not sure what will happen. BYW, 8.1 takes a long time to locate all the menus, as many things are hidden in unexpected places. Many things have also been renamed, for no apparent purpose. Keep on using and when you finally find it all, the OS is not bad. What is bad is the slow, Explorer 11. I downloaded Google Chrome and I use both. Of course, with each one, you have to learn where everything is. Nothing seems to play well with others anymore.

Honored Contributor

. Now I want to throw it out the window . {#emotions_dlg.confused1} TIA.

Ok, I just did it. Left click to select. Click on both right and left, at the SAME TIME and then the menu will appear tha windowt says copy. Select copy. When you get where you want to paste, right click and the paste window will show up. Just select, paste.

Trusted Contributor

On 8/11/2014 india100 said:
On 8/8/2014 mima said:

India, did you find the old desktop look on your windows 8?

Yes , but nothing works . I would love to go back to windows 7 . I love to copy and paste current events and pictures on a Hair forum for ladies . Maybe the Geek squad can help . I really appreciate all of the people that understand my struggle without laughing . Thank you .Smile

Try this. Using the touch pad, double click or double tap over the first word you want to copy. Then, while holding down the shift key, use the right arrow and/or down arrow key to highlight more words. Right click over the highlighted words, and choose copy from the menu. Now the text can be pasted using right click & paste or whatever other method you prefer pasting.