Respected Contributor

Re: My first post . Can anyone tell me how to copy and paste with windows 8.1 ?

If you know how to copy and past on another operating system, it is the same.

You can also hit the "back" button. It is the same.

Are you using the "desktop" so that it looks and acts pretty much like Windows 7?

When you find that, it will make your life much easier.

If you are using the screen that has all the individual icons, look for one that says "desktop" and if you select that, it will look like the old Windows 7!

Occasional Contributor

On 8/6/2014 mima said:

If you know how to copy and past on another operating system, it is the same.

You can also hit the "back" button. It is the same.

Are you using the "desktop" so that it looks and acts pretty much like Windows 7?

When you find that, it will make your life much easier.

If you are using the screen that has all the individual icons, look for one that says "desktop" and if you select that, it will look like the old Windows 7!

Thank you . I will try to see if that works today .

Honored Contributor

I just want to tell all you people that responded to this that you are ALL wonderful people!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

In today's age, many would have dismissed this thread totally but you all took the time to respond in succinct and easy-to-understand language for someone who obviously was having a difficult time with what most do without thinking now. (Please note: as a self-taught computer user, I am NOT AT ALL 'dissing' the original poster!! I've been in this position myself more times than I care to admit!)

This is why I like this forum. It always amazes me that QVC even allows threads that don't relate to their specific products. But it amazes me even more there are people out there that will take the time and care to answer those of us in need.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Valued Contributor

On 8/7/2014 geezerette said:

I just want to tell all you people that responded to this that you are ALL wonderful people!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

In today's age, many would have dismissed this thread totally but you all took the time to respond in succinct and easy-to-understand language for someone who obviously was having a difficult time with what most do without thinking now. (Please note: as a self-taught computer user, I am NOT AT ALL 'dissing' the original poster!! I've been in this position myself more times than I care to admit!)

This is why I like this forum. It always amazes me that QVC even allows threads that don't relate to their specific products. But it amazes me even more there are people out there that will take the time and care to answer those of us in need.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I was thinking the exact same thing, but didn't take the time to post it. Thank you!

Occasional Contributor

On 8/7/2014 geezerette said:

Thank you for your feedback . We are professional engineers , but windows 8.1 new users problems are common . I purchase the dell from QVC . I am waiting on my virus provider to help . I appreciate all tips , but nothing work .

Respected Contributor

India, did you find the old desktop look on your windows 8?

Super Contributor

I don't mean to change the topic of this post, but could anyone tell me how to cut and paste on a tablet? Like some others, my tech skills are limited. Again sorry for breaking in line, so to speak, but I would appreciate the help. TIA
Trusted Contributor

On 8/8/2014 dobiesrule said: I don't mean to change the topic of this post, but could anyone tell me how to cut and paste on a tablet? Like some others, my tech skills are limited. Again sorry for breaking in line, so to speak, but I would appreciate the help. TIA

dobiesrule, please see my message #4 above, for touch screen. Tablets are touch screens too so the instructions should be the same or similar. Let us know if you have other questions.

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

geezerette, thanks for your kind words! I'm a tech writer, trainer and support desk person as well as a software tester, business analyst, yada yada. Small companies have people who wear many hats Smiley Wink

I'm also self-taught on most of this stuff because my degree in computer science is SOOOOO old. We didn't even have home computers back then! LOL

Anyway, I've been in this position myself and I'm always learning new things. Sometimes I know how to do advanced things and don't know some of the basics! We should never make light of any honest question because we don't know what the other person has used in the past, etc.

Good luck to all and I enjoy this Electronics forum with all of you Smiley Wink

KJPA
Honored Contributor

On 8/8/2014 KJPA said:

geezerette, thanks for your kind words! I'm a tech writer, trainer and support desk person as well as a software tester, business analyst, yada yada. Small companies have people who wear many hats Smiley Wink

I'm also self-taught on most of this stuff because my degree in computer science is SOOOOO old. We didn't even have home computers back then! LOL

Anyway, I've been in this position myself and I'm always learning new things. Sometimes I know how to do advanced things and don't know some of the basics! We should never make light of any honest question because we don't know what the other person has used in the past, etc.

Good luck to all and I enjoy this Electronics forum with all of you Smiley Wink

I can relate--I'm 'self-taught' because when I was working in an office, we didn't even have any type of computer--I used a typewriter!

And I also agree about not remembering the basics. I'm at the age that if I don't use a particular feature on, say, 'Word', for a while I forget how to do it. Heck, sometimes even if I use something all the time, I still forget how to do it!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I guess something about the graciousness of all the replies to this thread got to me. With all the rudeness and downright mean stuff going around today, this just seemed so, well, nice. And refreshing. I'm getting old...