Respected Contributor

Re: My credit cards on file on the Amazon site keep getting hacked....

@Mz iMac wrote:

@mima wrote:

My router at home and at work have a password. Do I need to do more?

Is your network password protected?  If using a Mac, you can check your network as well as your neighbors by going to.....

Finder menubar>wifi-icon Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at Sun, Apr 22, 2018-10.05.50 AM.png

Click on the icon.  You will see a list of everyone using wi-fi in your area.  The locked networks will show a padlock. 

Does your network name show a locked padlock?

Yes, there is a lock.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Call Amazon and Chase.  Chase caught a problem  for me even before Lifelock.  They are second to none.  

Someone tried to buy a ticket from LaGuardia to New Orleans on my dime.  LOl  They stopped it before I knew it was happening.  And then there was the sandwich in a take out dive in Hondurus.  We got that straight really really fast.

One hint.  Before going away somewhere always notify your credit card companies you are leaving for somewhere else.  I carry two cards in case my credit card company tries to block it.  

Yes, Chase caught it.  They actually sent me a text from their fraud dept.  That is how I found out about this last deal.  The first time they didn't catch it.  The Alaskan flight was on my statement when I got it.

Discover also caught it.  They also sent me a text asking if I had just tried to buy $400 plus in alcohol and tobacco.

Frequent Contributor

Spoiler

Yes, Amazon does accept checks.  The only exception is for renewal of Prime membership. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a Capital One cc.  I have the ability through the app to lock my card.  No charges can be made if you lock it.

So, I keep my card locked until I need to use it.  It can't get hacked if it's locked.

Respected Contributor

I had my online banking hacked. Caught it before bank but had to close account. I have direct deposit so it was inconvenient.

Hackers convinced Comcast to change my email password.

That was a nightmare because Comcast didn't believe ME until I got to their tech top tier. Make sure your email password is secure. I closed my Chase Amazon account; I wasn't using it enough.

ABC news said every five second someone has identity theft. I check my online accounts every couple of days. 

Discover has the best security people. I also pay six bucks a month for insurance.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I order from Amazon every week and have not had my credit card hacked.  I've been ordering from them for years.  I think that's very strange.

This is the same for me. I think something else is going on.

Do you always order from the same computer? I would recommend running an anti-viral program and checking your computer for spy and malware. It's possible your computer has a keylogger on it.

If you have a smart phone, you may want to consider ordering from your mobile phone over LTE, not wi-fi, until you get things cleared up. I order from my phone more often than I do my computerr.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar wrote:

Discover has the best security people. I also pay six bucks a month for insurance.

Insurance? confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Identify theft insurance

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

I order from Amazon every week and have not had my credit card hacked.  I've been ordering from them for years.  I think that's very strange.

This is the same for me. I think something else is going on.

Do you always order from the same computer? I would recommend running an anti-viral program and checking your computer for spy and malware. It's possible your computer has a keylogger on it.

If you have a smart phone, you may want to consider ordering from your mobile phone over LTE, not wi-fi, until you get things cleared up. I order from my phone more often than I do my computerr.

@Alison Wonderland I do usually order from the same computer. Does someone have to have actual possession of the computer to put a keylogger on it?  I bought this computer new.  The only people that have ever had access to it is my husband and the guy that works on it.  I know the guy that works on it personally.  He actually has a business and works on computers all over town.  I doubt it's him. 

Good tip about using my phone.  For some reason I thought it would be less safe to use my phone.  Thanks for the tips.

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your great tips.  I called Amazon and they didn't really even act concerned.  I am just going to delete the card each time I use it.  I am also making sure I am logged out of Amazon when I leave.  I was not doing that before.

I might check into that credit card lock.  That sounds like a good plan too!

Thank you all!!!