Respected Contributor

My credit cards on file on the Amazon site keep getting hacked....

[ Edited ]

I have an Amazon credit card (Chase Bank).  I only use this card for Amazon purchases.  I don't use it in stores or at gas stations.  When my statement came in the mail a few months ago, someone had charged an Alaskan flight on my card.  I called the cc company, they cancelled the card, sent me a new card, investigated the charge and I was not found liable.

In the meantime I wanted to buy something on Amazon, so I used my Discover card.  I also changed my Amazon password.  Guess what??  Same thing.  This time I got a fraud alert on my phone from Discover. Someone had tried to charge $400 plus in alcohol and tobacco at a store in Missouri.  I live in Kansas.  Discover cancelled the card, send me a new one, investigated, etc.

Now I have my NEW Amazon card.  I have changed my password again on Amazon, used it a few weeks and this morning I get another fraud alert asking me if I had charged $2,200 online at Walmart with my new Amazon card.  Again, I had not.  They are going to cancel this card and send me a new one.

Wow!  What is going on???  Every card I use on Amazon gets hacked.  I am using the word hacked because I actually have the card in my possession. 

My next plan  is to put the card on Amazon at the time of purchase and then remove it from their website.

You think that will help?  Is this an Amazon weakness?  Should I call Amazon?  Anyone have a similar experience?

Super Contributor

Re: My credit cards on file on the Amazon site keep getting hacked....

DON'T STORE YOUR CC ON ANY ONLINE WEBSITE!!!!

You will continue to get hacked.  I stopped using Amazon & Kohl's online both because they are the #1 &#2 most hacked websites.

The other problem is that if you pre-order something & don't keep your CC on their website they cancel your order.

Call them to discuss...very frustrating indeed! Good-Luck & Freeze Your Credit with the (3) companies...otherwise the criminals might open new accounts in your name, since they already appear to have your information!

Respected Contributor

@wenfen wrote:

DON'T STORE YOUR CC ON ANY ONLINE WEBSITE!!!!

You will continue to get hacked.  I stopped using Amazon & Kohl's online both because they are the #1 &#2 most hacked websites.

The other problem is that if you pre-order something & don't keep your CC on their website they cancel your order.

Call them to discuss...very frustrating indeed! Good-Luck & Freeze Your Credit with the (3) companies...otherwise the criminals might open new accounts in your name, since they already appear to have your information!

Since I was one of the people that got their information stolen through experian, I already have my credit froze.  I will just take my cc off each time from now on.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Is your internet server secure?  I ask because if not, anyone can hack your accounts.  Hopefully, you are on a locked and secure server.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Is your internet server secure?  I ask because if not, anyone can hack your accounts.  Hopefully, you are on a locked and secure server.

i was wondering that myself.

maybe it isnt amazon......maybe it is her ISP and/or her computer is not as secure as she thinks it is?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

My router at home and at work have a password. I do use free WiFi for my phone when I'm out and about but I don't shop unless i am at home or work. Is that what you are asking? Do I need to do more?

Respected Contributor

I would not use outside WIFI for anything.

Honored Contributor

An option with Amazon is to use your CC to buy yourself a gift card and use that then you are not storing yr CC there.

Honored Contributor

Pay by checks or money orders.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I order from Amazon every week and have not had my credit card hacked.  I've been ordering from them for years.  I think that's very strange.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau