Trusted Contributor

My chromebook expiration date

My chromebook "expiration date" is up. and i wont be getting anymore updates. i plan on getting a new one in about a yr... im wondering if i can install another anti-virus until... probably not.. but i wanted to ask to see what you all think.. like i said i do plan on getting another one just not right away.. and i do have my credit card info and my banking info in this one..

Honored Contributor

Re: My chromebook expiration date

[ Edited ]

I don't think it would hurt anything if you installed security software on your expired CB. The problem will most likely be rooted in the browser itself and you might run into compatibility issues when you try to visit websites because since CB OS is browser-based and relies on updates to that in order to make it work. In other words, you will be fine with security issues but only if the OS is working properly with compatibility taken care of first. 

I hope that made sense.

It's kind of like driving a car that has one gas tank that cannot be refueled. When the gas runs out you're left with an otherwise good car that has no way to get gas into it because it has no refill option. The only way you can fix that is to change the OS to one that can be updated, for example with the full version of Linux or CloudReady...those are CB compatible alternative operating systems. 

Super Contributor

if you can't install another antivirus, I'd not wait to get a replacement. mine runs out this spring. I noticed that big store with membership has a few on sale starting Nov 7. instead of waiting, I will be getting a new one Thursday. 

not wanting to risk bank account and credit info. will totally destroy old chromebook. 

Trusted Contributor

Good Grief - I had no idea Chromebooks had an expiration date.

How do I find out when my CB expires.  

ps - I went from a Macbook to a CB about 2 years ago.  I bought the CB as a replacement for the Mac due to the problems with the Mac keyboards.  I really enjoy the lighter smaller CB.

Contributor

Try this site to check expiration dates

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Honored Contributor

I suspect a Chromebook will keep working just fine and remain secure past its expiration date. I suspect the expiration date is set so as hardware evolves they aren't stuck with multiple versions of the same OS. At this point there's been minimal evolution of the Chromebook hardware so I would anticipate a Chromebook would continue to function well. Chromebooks have a Google Security Chip that encrypts all of the data on a Chromebook, so short of removing that chip, your data should stay safe. They also isolate data from each program (sandboxing) so if there's malware or an issue, it's kept confined to that one program. New features or functions won't come to an older Chromebook, but in terms of day-to-day use, I don't think there's a big risk in using one past the expiration date.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@bonnie f 

Try search here on the forums for much discussion on this topic.  There is lots of good information from the posters. 

Honored Contributor

I just recently learned that Chromebooks have an expiration date (I learned it here). I don't know if I would have bought a Chromebook had I known, and might I add I don't care for mine and won't buy another one.

Trusted Contributor

I did some research on the Chromebook expiration dates and they are supposed to last 5 years though newer models have a life expectancy of 6.5 years.

Five years is pretty good for a computer so to pay so little for a Chromebook and have it last 5 years is a bargain. 

I LOVE the lightweight and very affordable cost so taking my CB on the road, to the Doctors in a bag is a no brainer.  I would never leave my home with my Mac.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had two Chrome books One was a Asus that was from 2016 and the other was a newer Lenovo from 2018 that I brought as a backup. I did not know about the end of life for these were in 2019. [October} anyway, yesterday on both my computers I began getting pop ups [which I never got before because I had my settings on no pop ups] and the pop ups were on both Chrome books because I had them have the same password [it was recommended]  together. Bad idea I will never do that again. Make sure when you get a Chrome book that you look at the listing[s] of the make the model and the brand name. I ordered a new computer Chrome book that is good until 2025. and make sure your updates are updated [excuse the pun].