Trusted Contributor

My Review of Tracfone's LG K31 Rebel phone...

I mentioned in a post a couple weeks ago that I was having an issue with the mobile data not working on my Tracfone Samsung J7 Crown phone.  Instead of trying to work out the problem through Tracfone's customer service, I chose to get a new phone (LG's K31 Rebel phone).  I got the two phone package deal from HSN for $100 ($90 after my $10 off coupon), since sold out.  I keep two phones, one is my primary phone, the other is my "Batphone."  The LG K31 Rebel is currently on sale at QVC for $60 with free shipping. Item #E234742.

My past two phones have been Samsung phones, before that my phones were LG and I really liked them.  For whatever reason, I really like LG and it's been nice returning to that brand again.

The K31 Rebel is a smaller phone.  I haven't had a phone this small in quite a few years now.  My life isn't based around my cell phone, so I think the smaller size will be fine, although I do miss a larger phone a little bit.  I know some people prefer a smaller phone and it seems like smaller phones aren't always easy to find nowadays.

This phone has some different features compared to previous phones.  I'm more of a simple minimalist, so I have to figure out how to get around certain things.  For instance, a type of lock screen(?) comes up and you have to swipe around in a horseshoe shape to get to where you want to go.  I don't like this and will look in the settings to see if there's a workaround.  I changed the settings to put the buttons back on the bottom of the screen, before that there was swiping around to do what you wanted to do.  There was also a screen to the left of the home screen that had a lot of "garbage" in it, news articles and different things that I really don't care about.  I like minimal bloat on my phone.

The screen is nice, it's shiny, which sounds dumb, but I feel it's shinier than my previous phones' screens.  We'll see what happens after I add a screen protector.  The picture is crisp and clear to me.

I've made several lengthy phone calls on it and the call quality is good, as is the cell reception. 

I like the ability to loop screens.

I like the Knock Knock feature.

I missed little things like that in my Samsung phones.

I haven't used the camera yet, but checked to make sure it worked and it looked fine.  I don't take a lot of pictures with my phone (I'm a heavy user of my iPod Touch and iPad). 

The battery life seems pretty good, so far.  The battery is non-removable, as is common nowadays.

The sound is...okay.  I think it's what you'd expect for this level of phone.

There's a slight lag at times using some apps. 

I didn't care for the wallpapers that came with the phone.  They usually include some nature-based wallpapers and there are none with this phone.  I know I can change the wallpaper to whatever I want, but it was convenient to find a native one and be done.

All in all, I'm happy with this phone (and also happy that my switchover process went smoothly for both phones) and it was certainly worth $45 per phone for 1500 minutes, 1500 texts, 1.5GB of data, and a year of service.  

If anyone else has an opinion I'd love to hear about your experience with this phone.  Thank you for reading.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Review of Tracfone's LG K31 Rebel phone...

@Stargazer77   Sounds like you hit on a great plan for yourself. Me too! I am a heavy user of my "fancy phone" paying bills, email texting etc. I did buy a minimal trackphone as a back up just in case (like when I cracked my screen)  Just immediate family has the number. I don't have a land line so it works for me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77 

I found this LG K31 phone here for under $60. It gives the 1500/1500/1500, BUT!  I cannot find the length of the plan.  If it isn't a 1 year plan, that could make a big difference.

My present LG expired and I like the phone  but not if it doesn't come with the 1 year plan. You have any info on this, or am I somehow just not seeing it.

Thank you,

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut  I haven't seen a phone that doesn't come with a year of service in a while now.  I would think it comes with a year of service, but can't say for sure.  Someone asked that question in the "ask a question" part of the page, so hopefully QVC will reply.  If I see it I'll tag you to let you know.  It really should have stated the length of service in the description.

What are you using your phone for these days?  I know you used to use the timer a lot for your hockey events.  Are you still involved in hockey nowadays or are you benched due to Covid?

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Valued Contributor

It was said during the presentation and question has been answered by Tracfone -- one year of service.

https://www.qvc.com/Tracfone-LG-K31-Rebel-Smartphone-with-1500-TalkTextData.product.E234742.html?sc=...

Honored Contributor

@Maggie Nolia 

Thank you for this info. I played the presentation video until I heard the 1 year of service, and then I ordered the phone. 

Wondered why they didn't list it with the 1500/1500/1500?  I have seen Tracfones with 90 days of service, not sure if they were here on the Q, or HSN. This LG Rebel will more than serve my usage. Thanks again,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stargazer77 wrote:

What are you using your phone for these days?  I know you used to use the timer a lot for your hockey events.  Are you still involved in hockey nowadays or are you benched due to Covid?

@Stargazer77 

Didn't know mine expired until I tried to use it last Thursday. As @Maggie Nolia  said in her post, I watched the presentation  video, and when I finally heard her say "1 year service"! I ordered a Red phone.

After being stabbed in the back by a former friend, I shut down my Adult Hockey League, after 52 years since starting and running it by myself.

This £¥₩ opened his own ice rink, so after much thought and talking with my players, I decided this.

To cancel my contract with the City Rinks, after 45 years of renting their facilities, to contract with this former €¥₩ for our hockey games. Verbal contract for specific nights and time.

After 15 days he calls me and says "you will have to play your games starting at 10pm, not the 8pm as said in our oral contract".

Huh, and he played in my league! I told him "no way", my league started when we had only 1 ice rink in the city, and some of our games started at 11pm on Sunday nights. Not only that, his price was $25 per hour more than the City.

Took years of playing those real late weekday hours, and until the City built a 2nd ice rink in the City, to get a slot that started at 10pm, not early, but better. City built Rink #2, and I finally got some Prime time ice slots, at their facilities.

Anyways, the City rink had already rented out my former Ice Time, so! No way I was going to let a guy that stabbed me in the back, make any money from my league, so I sadly shut it down. That was in late 2015. Lot more to the story, but I will spare you and others that might read this.

No more need for my original reason for buying my 1st cell phone, hence bought them for a possible road emergency. 

Surprised you remembered all of this about my hockey, and I thank you. Now, no connection  to hockey other than watching it on TV, and my ice skating days at the City rink where we played most of my league's games. Bothered me the 1st year, but then I realized how much work it took me to run the league all those years, and it is now "ah"!

hckynut   🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

So what happens after the 1 year service?  Does the phone expire and you have to get a new phone or can you just add more service to it?  And what if you haven't used all your minutes, texts, etc....?  Does it carry over somehow?

I was going to order a Tracphone off the other channel, for $90 it was a 6.5" screen, 1 year of service w/calls, texts, data, good camera, etc...But I just wasn't sure.  I'm not up on stuff - I am still using my one and only flip phone purchased four 1/2 years ago, and feel I'm missing out on being able to do things. 

Stupid question, but when they say data - does that mean you can access the internet, get your emails, shop online, etc...?  Thanks for any input.  I'd like to get updated and be able to do things other than the very basic calls and short texts.  Plus I have Consumer Cellular which gets very poor reception where I live and costs me about $250/year for service.  $90 bucks a year sounds much better to me and I'd have a brand new phone. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN 

After the service expires, it's up to you. If you like your phone add more expiration time or whatever you choose.

I have had Tracfone for at least 10+ years and have kept only 1 phone. It was always cheaper, as was this LG Rebel phone, to pay $60 for it. Comes with the 1 year 1500/1500/1500. 

Last time I looked to add the 1 year same plan at Tracfone, it was $125. Easy choice for me.

Yes, "data" means Internet access. If you are using your home WiFi, if you have it, you are not using any data. If you are at a Starbucks or most any big business, you can pick up their WiFi, for free. None of your "Data" is used. Running out of "Data" is very unlikely for most. 

Those that love prefer "texting"? That seems to be what they use up. 1500 texts for my wife? Probably last her a couple months, if that. I never text/seldom even turn on my cell phone, and that is why I like "cheap". I have been into "tech" for decades, built my own computers, but! 

I have no interest in mobile technology other than making a phone call in an emergency, the other stuff? Maybe a picture of 1 of our cats or a video recording.

This phone has a lot of good technology in it, much more than any I have seen, for even $99, and this one is $59.99.

Just got mine today. Gonna get it up and running in the next couple of days. Will fool with the features a little bit, and then seldom even turn it on.  There ya go, all I can tell you

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jellyBEAN

Please go to the product page and put in your zip code. This will tell you whether or not the service will run in your area. 

Tracfone Reviewer's Blog will give you information about the company and how it works. 

Tech idea: I would get a new phone number for your Tracfone, and keep your current phone running until you can receive texts and calls on the new one. 

You will find many YouTube videos to help setup your phone. 

The phone will walk you through setup. Do you have a Gmail account and address? You may want to setup one using a Chrome browser with your computer.