Trusted Contributor

My Rant about Electronic Presentations and Selphy CP1300

I ordered and received the Canon Selphy CP 1300. In the instruction manual it says to go to www.canon.com/cpd/ and download the program, Adobe Reader is required to view the electronic manual. Then something about ISP connection and access point fees may be applicable. I went back to watch the presentation and no where in it does the rep or th ehost atlk about how to connect the unit and I think that shoud be stated. They go on and on about the photos you can print out but that's it! 

Please give me any advice if you have this and have connected it to your wifi. I need help

Valued Contributor

Re: My Rant about Electronic Presentations and Selphy CP1300

QVC used to have such good, detailed explanations about electronics devices. Now, you are on your own trying to install something. It really is a shame that they don't have that anymore.

They would tell about set-up, and then show the different things you could do with a product. 

I watched several promotions on items before I decided to buy them in years past. Once I felt I knew enough about a product, then I would order it. I even taped the presentations so I would be able to go back and check to be sure i was doing something the right way.

I guess they don't really want a novice to buy something today. If they don't explain set-up and use they will be buying back a lot of products. Shame!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gigy wrote:

I ordered and received the Canon Selphy CP 1300. In the instruction manual it says to go to www.canon.com/cpd/ and download the program, Adobe Reader is required to view the electronic manual. Then something about ISP connection and access point fees may be applicable. I went back to watch the presentation and no where in it does the rep or th ehost atlk about how to connect the unit and I think that shoud be stated. They go on and on about the photos you can print out but that's it! 

Please give me any advice if you have this and have connected it to your wifi. I need help

@gigy

This printer has  decent reviews. Let's get it running.

Canon may have a YouTube video to help you setup this printer?

Did you download and read the service manual?

Do you have Abode Reader installed on your computer?

I am sure you know. The talk about access fees means you pay for internet connection. 

Does Canon have online free tech support or customer forum? 

This photo printer has a basic wireless card. This card will connect on the 2.4Ghz side of your wireless router. It will run slower than your laptop or tablet. It should be used near the source of the photos. 

Amazon sells this printer and has a cute video about the product. The site has info on ink etc. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@gigy wrote:

I guess they asume everyone knows how to connect a new device to their home network.  It's easy and something you've done with all of your other devices.  Read the instructions, find your network, enter the password and you're connected. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

First off, thank you so much for the advice of watching youtube. I did just that and found a couple different ones that at least helped guide me through how to set the divice up. I was able to do it...BUT it took several tries and I only connected it to my phone. Now after printing 5 photos, I got a message from the machine that the ink cartridge needed changing???? I bought an extra box of paper sheets and there was another ink cartridge in the box fortunately. But now I wonder how long that one will last. AGAIN, my complaint on these presentations is that they tell you all about the reasons for printing out digital photos (which I don't need to hear) and then the rep and Dan Wheeler held out what looked like at least 50 photos in one long strip and the rep said she printed all of them out in an hour but nothing about whether she had to change the ink???? Plus the APP which you have to get to connect and print freezes up when you try to select a photo. 

QVC...GET IT TOGETHER PLEASE AND SHOW THE CUSTOMER HOW TO CONNECT, WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE INK, HOW LONG IT WILL LAST.

Respected Contributor

@gigy wrote:

First off, thank you so much for the advice of watching youtube. I did just that and found a couple different ones that at least helped guide me through how to set the divice up. I was able to do it...BUT it took several tries and I only connected it to my phone. Now after printing 5 photos, I got a message from the machine that the ink cartridge needed changing???? I bought an extra box of paper sheets and there was another ink cartridge in the box fortunately. But now I wonder how long that one will last. AGAIN, my complaint on these presentations is that they tell you all about the reasons for printing out digital photos (which I don't need to hear) and then the rep and Dan Wheeler held out what looked like at least 50 photos in one long strip and the rep said she printed all of them out in an hour but nothing about whether she had to change the ink???? Plus the APP which you have to get to connect and print freezes up when you try to select a photo. 

QVC...GET IT TOGETHER PLEASE AND SHOW THE CUSTOMER HOW TO CONNECT, WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE INK, HOW LONG IT WILL LAST.

Why can't you do your own research?  There is no way any shopping channel is going to give a step by step tutorial so you can learn how to use a device.  Geesh!

Trusted Contributor

I disagree with you. I believe most people would like to know how to set it up and that process can be easily presented. Many people who are in the 50-75 yr age catagory are the ones who would purchase this machine to print photos of their childrena nd grandchildren and those are the people who might not be "tech savey" nor want to have to go to you-tube for a tutorial.

@glb613 wrote:

@gigy wrote:

Why can't you do your own research?  There is no way any shopping channel is going to give a step by step tutorial so you can learn how to use a device.  Geesh!

Honored Contributor

I agree with the  op.  I was watching the presentation for the Echo show 8 and all of them were terrible.  They didn't go over the set up at all.   Just a  quick overview would be nice.   I did google it but it would be nice if they explained the set up.

Respected Contributor

@glb613

The OP is not asking for step-by-step instructions on how to use a device.

There's nothing unreasonable about expecting QVC to address required connections, and certainly any access fees which may be required. Those are things one would expect in a presentation.

When the OP mentions the focus on photos to the exclusion of basic, important info, she's spot on; they do the same things with their cell phones. If the product rep doesn't address it, hosts surely should.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
@glb613

The OP is not asking for step-by-step instructions on how to use a device.

There's nothing unreasonable about expecting QVC to address required connections, and certainly any access fees which may be required. Those are things one would expect in a presentation.

When the OP mentions the focus on photos to the exclusion of basic, important info, she's spot on; they do the same things with their cell phones. If the product rep doesn't address it, hosts surely should.

Really, try rereading her rant. It never fails to amaze me what people think a shopping channel is suppose to do for their customers.