Not applicable

My current dell computer all of a sudden quit working (it is probably 7 years old), I went to QVC and ordered a new computer. My old computer won't even turn on. I know the new computer comes with PC Mover, but if the old computer won't turn on, am I out of luck transferring my old files and set up. Nate if there is any way to respond to my email I would appreciate it, once I leave my sisters home which I am sending this request from, my only way to connect is by my phone. Thanks for your help.

Regular Contributor

Re: My Old Dell and My New Dell

Depends what's wrong with it. If the hard drive is ok you can take it out and put it in an external enclosure (you can get one cheap). Then you can plug it into the new computer with a usb cable and get the stuff off of it. Or do you have any backups?

Esteemed Contributor

Nate can be found on Facebook.

Respected Contributor

On 5/24/2014 maxada said:

My current dell computer all of a sudden quit working (it is probably 7 years old), I went to QVC and ordered a new computer. My old computer won't even turn on. I know the new computer comes with PC Mover, but if the old computer won't turn on, am I out of luck transferring my old files and set up. Nate if there is any way to respond to my email I would appreciate it, once I leave my sisters home which I am sending this request from, my only way to connect is by my phone. Thanks for your help.

If it's a bad hard drive, you are out of luck. Most of the time when a computer won't turn on it's the power supply that's gone bad. As posted, you can remove the hard drive, put it into an external enclosure and connect it to your new computer. You'll access the data through Windows Explorer or Computer.

This is a good time to remind everyone HAVE A BACKUP!!!!! There really is no excuse not to have one. You can use an external hard drive, DVDs/CDs or an online backup service. I have multiple copies of what I can't afford to lose and so should you.

Honored Contributor

A totally dead computer will typically be a power supply. It would be smart to check the back of the computer where the power supply is located to see if there's a master power switch there. If there is one (and some power supplies have them while others don't) check to be sure that's turned on. It's very, very easy for someone moving the computer even slightly to reach back there and inadvertently hit that switch. A significant number of "dead" computers that get to repair shops turn out to be fine and only need that switch turned on.

Ethical repairmen will check that as soon as the "dead" computer arrives and if that's the issue send it right back home. Unethical repair shops will try to evaluate the customer to determine how much money they can squeeze out of the owner (someone with a nice car, nice clothes, who's naive about computers, is a goldmine for many repair shops.) They'll then take the computer in, call back in a few hours and inform the owner that it's the motherboard, CPU, or some combination of components and give them an estimate on the cost of repairs. If the owner balks at the cost, they'll suggest using salvaged/lesser parts to save money and come up with a lower estimate. The owner may then agree and the shop will repair the computer (turn on the power switch) and bill the consumer for a much more significant repair. Most owners have no idea what their current motherboard looks like so if they're told they got a new one, they'll just assume it's true.

Check out that switch before doing anything else and see if that's the issue. If it's not the issue then it's likely the power supply. You can swap those out pretty affordably and easily. Youtube has a number of videos on how to do it and replacement power supplies are readily available

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!