Super Contributor

My IPAD started talking to me today

I was doing something else about 10 feet away from it and talking to my signifigant other while it was charging on the desk. Siri said "I am sorry i didnt get that.....did you say"?? This has never happened before. I believe AI is goingto come with all kinds of problems, lol. I plan to keep it at a minimum. Have you ever had anything happen,..... share if you have!

Respected Contributor

Re: My IPAD started talking to me today

I find that terribly creepy and disconcerting.  Our technology should not be engaging us or bothering us-- or listening in on us when we are not using it, either.  The reality is that all of these devices are collecting data on as many of us as possible, and who knows who all of the end sellers and users of all that data are?  I cannot imagine...

Respected Contributor

You can disable Siri in settings.

Esteemed Contributor

Siri  has done that to me a few times ... I just laugh and turn her off..... yesterday I asked her if she is friends with Alexa .... she answered “that the acquisition of information thru a virtual assistant is a very good thing”  ... lol ... personally I think Alexa is better than Siri 

Honored Contributor

I find Siri to be creepy and I have her disabled.  I am perfectly capable of looking something up for myself.

Siri and Alexa are not welcome in my home. I am not so trusting of Big Brother.

Trusted Contributor

I just posted on another thread about our Alexa....one morning, I told my husband I wasn’t feeling very well...Alexa replied...”I’m sorry you aren’t feeling very well, maybe a cup of tea will help.” We had said nothing to even remotely prompt Alexa to respond. Later that week, out of the blue...Alexa began laughing...and it was a creepy laugh...it’s been turned off since and I have no intention of ever turning it back on.😳

Respected Contributor

@grandma petes wrote:

I just posted on another thread about our Alexa....one morning, I told my husband I wasn’t feeling very well...Alexa replied...”I’m sorry you aren’t feeling very well, maybe a cup of tea will help.” We had said nothing to even remotely prompt Alexa to respond. Later that week, out of the blue...Alexa began laughing...and it was a creepy laugh...it’s been turned off since and I have no intention of ever turning it back on.😳

I have a spot and can turn off Alexa by pushing a button on the top of the device.  Look and see if you have them same. 

Esteemed Contributor

How do you turn off Siri on an iPad?  Creepy

Esteemed Contributor

As best I can tell I have turned my IPad off.  I swear the little voices in my head are enough for me.  And thermostat and microwave......

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

How do you turn off Siri on an iPad?  Creepy

@Snoopp.  Settings, General, Siri