Respected Contributor

I just bought a new car (2017 Subaru Forester) last month & traded in my 2003 model Forester that had a 6 CD changer in it. 

The new car only has a single disc CD player (my saleslady at the Subaru dealer said soon they'll no longer even put a single CD player in the new cars because people don't listen to CDs anymore)& has a fancy "multimedia" navigation center with a bunch of apps & Smartphone integration.  I'm not a big radio listener, so I prefer listening to CDs & have a large CD collection to draw from, but it's a pain to have to change CDs since I got spoiled with the 6 CD changer in my old car for so many years. 

I just got an IPhone 6 last summer, which is my 1st smartphone, so I'm still learning.  I went from an old Flip Phone to the IPhone 6, which is like coming from the Stone Age!  I've never used ITunes or had an IPod or any of those services to listen to music & unfortunately, I have no kids or access to a tech savvy youngster to help me figure this stuff out! 

I don't know what I don't know about all the ways I can access music in my new car.  I need a Rent A Kid to help me!  I'm such a Luddite at this stuff! 

How would I go about finding someone to either show me how to upload CDs to somewhere that I can listen to in my car or hire some techie to do it for me? 

Contributor

Re: Music In New Car

[ Edited ]

Congratulations on the new car. Coincidently I also leased a new car last week, a 2017 

VW Jetta.  My car has Apple CarPlay which I am slowly learning. There are many videos on YouTube that give step by step instructions on so many things. I found them to be very helpful. 

Respected Contributor

@Tchr58 wrote:

Congratulations on the new car. Coincidently I also leased a new car last week, a 2017 

VW Jetta.  My car has Apple CarPlay which I am slowly learning. There are many videos on YouTube that give step by step instructions on so many things. I found them to be very helpful. 

Thanks!  I don't think my car has Apple CarPlay, or at least it's not mentioned in the info books.  They say it has Pandora, IHeart Radio, Stitcher & Aha smartphone app, but I've only heard of Pandora & IHeart Radio, but never used them &  the others I've never heard of.

Like I said, I don't even know what I don't know about all of this & don't know where to go to learn it.  Kids today learn this stuff intuitively, but I'm old & am coming up on 50 years away from high school!  I'm trainable, but don't know where to turn for the training.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Music In New Car

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@Tchr58 wrote:

Thanks!  I don't think my car has Apple CarPlay, or at least it's not mentioned in the info books.  They say it has Pandora, IHeart Radio, Stitcher & Aha smartphone app, but I've only heard of Pandora & IHeart Radio, but never used them &  the others I've never heard of.

Like I said, I don't even know what I don't know about all of this & don't know where to go to learn it.  Kids today learn this stuff intuitively, but I'm old & am coming up on 50 years away from high school!  I'm trainable, but don't know where to turn for the training.

I have a Honda Civc 2016, and it has Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto. Please go to your car makers site and check things out.

YouTube should have some nice videos about the different music choices in your car.

Many new cars have HD, and XM radio. XM radio usually gives customers 3 months free service.

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01, second vote for satellite radio.  

youtube can show you how to use itunes.  You can load your cds into itunes, make playlists of your favorite songs and load them onto your iphone or ipod and play them in your car.  Your phone probably has bluetooth so look up instructions to pair it to your car.  Setting up your music will take a bit of time but you will be able to enjoy more easily.

Any nephews, nieces?  

Good luck!  LM

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I just bought a new car (2017 Subaru Forester) last month & traded in my 2003 model Forester that had a 6 CD changer in it. 

The new car only has a single disc CD player (my saleslady at the Subaru dealer said soon they'll no longer even put a single CD player in the new cars because people don't listen to CDs anymore)& has a fancy "multimedia" navigation center with a bunch of apps & Smartphone integration.  I'm not a big radio listener, so I prefer listening to CDs & have a large CD collection to draw from, but it's a pain to have to change CDs since I got spoiled with the 6 CD changer in my old car for so many years. 

I just got an IPhone 6 last summer, which is my 1st smartphone, so I'm still learning.  I went from an old Flip Phone to the IPhone 6, which is like coming from the Stone Age!  I've never used ITunes or had an IPod or any of those services to listen to music & unfortunately, I have no kids or access to a tech savvy youngster to help me figure this stuff out! 

I don't know what I don't know about all the ways I can access music in my new car.  I need a Rent A Kid to help me!  I'm such a Luddite at this stuff! 

How would I go about finding someone to either show me how to upload CDs to somewhere that I can listen to in my car or hire some techie to do it for me? 

Most new cars have Bluetooth included so you can use your phone hands free.  You can also pair your phone to listen to music.  This would require you load the music you own onto your phone. 

Do you have a computer with iTunes installed?  If not, install iTunes, rip the audio CDs you want then synch your phone.  I know this sounds like more than you can do but trust me, it's not.  Once you're done, pair your phone and listen to your music through your car's speakers. 

I like to listen to audiobooks when I travel.  And like you, I don't want to change discs while driving.  So, I rip each CD to the MP3 format then burn the tracks to a single disc.  One regular audio CD can hold up to 7 regular CDs when in the MP3 format.  The last book I listened to required 2 CDs to hold all of the MP3 tracks that were originally on 11 CDs.  For me it's also a way to store my audiobooks and donate the originals to the local library. 

Respected Contributor

I would stop at the dealership where you bought the car and ask your salesperson if someone can give you a brief lesson in what to do.  

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

put your CD's into itunes

then add them to your phone

then you will be able to play them in your car

there are many tutorials on how to

install itunes and rip cd's, 

no need to get someone to do that for you,

go to you tube and look for a video.

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations on your new car purchase! I bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee after having a 1999 Jeep Cherokee and went from a CD player to NO CD PLAYER. OMG it didn't even occur to me that a CD player wasn't included. Imagine my surprise when i realized that all the favorite CDs in my car were no longer along for the ride. I didn't want to pay for Sirius XM radio -- pay for radio??? It's bad enough that I pay for TV (although that's going to change) -- so I just listen to the AM and FM bands and do fine. I have yet to do the whole MP3 thing and I don't carry music on my smartphone.  I'm just glad to hear you got a car with a CD player. Might take a look at Subaru...

Honored Contributor

there are lots of free music apps that you can add to your smartphone and then use the bluetooth feature in the car to listen to them. check out music choice and pandora. i have a paid subscription to sirius/xm and would not be without it now.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein