Honored Contributor

Re: Moved my home theater system.

@gardenman 

12 gauge speaker wire?  Might as well use the copper rod like that which was what our wire draw machines did before they sent them as14 gauge to our machines. We drew that down to: 19-22-24-26 gauge telephone wires. 

If your talking copper wire, it has more to do with the quality of the first stage which for us was the copper rod quality. Believe me, it was what made the difference  between good wire and good 412 pair cables.

Resistance and elongation quality was much different with inferior copper rod, before/during and after our draw down procedures. Then we have insulation! Gauge made zip difference if if the OD/ID/Wall Thickness, and Eccentricity was not close to perfect. I found gauge for speaker wire, regardless of distance run, had/has more go do with the end result than big gauge, smaller gauge. Our "out the door" High Voltage and Continuity testing" proved that to me for many years.

I use 16 gauge because it is easier to work with, and the end result, my ears and never a problem, proves it to be as good as if I used straight copper rod.

Ok then,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

The twelve gauge speaker wire came free from Crutchfield with my speakers about twenty plus years ago when I ordered them. I agree it's overkill, but hey, for free, I'll take it and use it. I think they sent me a hundred feet of it with my speakers. I've used 16 ga before with no trouble, but if they're sending me 12 ga for free, why not use it? The good news is speaker wire never wears out. These weren't insanely expensive speakers being the NHT Superzero's and the SW2P subwoofer. The UPS guy nearly got a hernia dragging the box to my front door with the five speakers, sub, sub amp, receiver, and speaker wire all in it. The Superzero's aren't terribly heavy, but the sub weighs a ton. I've dug out the ECM-AC2 Optimizer microphone that came with the Sony receiver to calibrate everything in the living room. It's a good little 5.1 system. It's capable of 6.1 but there's not a lot of room to hide a speaker behind my listening position, so I keep it at 5.1. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman 

Did you repair the hole in the heating duct yet ????

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Hey @hckynut,

Nice to see ya; hope you, Cindy, and all the furkids are doing well.  

Appreciate you posting the info re: your theater system.

Take good care, 

feline

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@gardenman 

Did you repair the hole in the heating duct yet ????

All fixed up. With it being the cold air return it's an easy fix. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Depreciating audio gear 80% is bad. Good speakers stay good for decades and don't really lose value. Even the electronic components tend to last a long, long time if handled right. Remote controls may fail, but they're easily replaced. (I've got a new one coming for my receiver Tuesday for less than $8.) Insurance companies can drive you a little crazy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

I said exactly what you said to a whole bunch of agents/appraisers/and several the carry their phony VP title of something or other. 

Unlike a fridge that runs 24/7, electronics do not. I have a Sony receiver, still working just fine, that I bought in the early 80's. As you say, I did have to replace the remote, but that was not a high $$$ purchase for sure.

I stressed the electronics and their BS 80% ******. Did get it down a few grand, but a 4 year old $500 Pilates Machine, I get $100, and on and on. Sure got a different understanding of homeowners insurers $100% replacement hoax. 

Even asked them if my home burned down, what they going to replace 20% of it?  Tough time dealing with that at the same time dealing with my weakest time with my health issues. Had that insurance for 30 years, and the next premium more than doubled to boot.

Got a new home and auto insurer with the same, some even better coverage for under half of what my former wanted. It's a tough way to learn just how much they say in the teenie tiny print, and using legalese that only those who have been to law school understand.

Appreciate your comments.

hckynut

hckynut(john)