Occasional Contributor

I just bought the Motorola G6 when it was the special value.  I understand that when you receive a text message it does not give you a ring tone of any sort as a notification.  I don't keep my cell close to my at all times, so a flashing light will not be a great thing for me.  Is there an app that I can load to give me a ring tone for text messages, and does anyone know the name of a good one I could use? 

Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

Hi @kalina   I'm currently using an older Motorola G (can't remember the version number).  It's been my experience that if you have the phone muted then you will only get the light.  If you have it set on vibrate instead of ringing, you will get a quick buzz (vibrate).  If you have the volume turned up you should get some kind of noise.  It won't be a repeating noise for a text like it is when a call is coming in.

I was able to work within the confines of my Moto G so I never did an app. I don't even know if an app exists.

I hope you enjoy the phone.  I wanted it but not with Tracphone.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: Motorola G 6

[ Edited ]

@kalina 

My wife just got her E5 Motorola Tracfone. It has these settings:

Media Volume 

Alarm Volume

Ring Volume 

Vibrate(when on it overrides the other settings).

Tones?  Beats me, I prefer just an old telephone ring.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for responding.  I guess I will just have to use the phone and play around with it for awhile.

Honored Contributor

@kalina- I thought of buying the Motorola G6, but the thing I'm most concerned about is whether it has a repeat alert function for texts.  My current LG eliminated that feature and it's a major pain.  I don't carry my phone all around the house, so often it's hours before I realize a text came in.

I did post a question about the TSv concerning this and the answer was that you could set an audible repeat alert by going into Settings, then Accessibility.

I have to say that makes no sense to me, so I don't see how it could work.  Normally, the repeat function is set within the app (in this case Messages).  Have you looked at the settings for the actual app?

Once you've had a chance to get used to your new phone, can you come back and tell me whether you really can set a repeat alert.  I'd appreciate it.  In the meantime I'm not ordering.

Respected Contributor
Well @Venezia, you might be interested to know that the LG Stylo 4 I got last month does NOT have the repeat notification feature which my previous Fiesta did have. I looked all over for it, and it's nowhere lol. I did set the blinking light, which blinks for texts and voicemails. I actually like that because I don't respond immediately to texts, anyway, and found the repeat annoying, so I'd usually turn it off while shopping, for example. At home, I don't carry the phone around, so the blinking light is enough of an alert for me to notice when I'm walking by, if I miss the notification sound.

I really like the phone, but I don't like how they've been eliminating features I'm guessing most users like. I do miss the NoLed app because I liked having the floating contact photo. I've found no substitute for that yet.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady- I found, when I compared my previous LG Premier to the LG Fiesta 2, that it's a different Messages app, although it looks almost the same.  And the new one eliminated the features.  No earthly reason why anyone would do that.

At least with the repeat alert function, you could choose between 2 minutes, 5 minutes or never.  So it suited everyone!  I've only got 16 Gb of storage on my current phone and a lot of it is used up, so I'm not thrilled about having to download another app to replace what has been taken away.

I'm still thinking about using Textra, which is much more customizable than the Messages app.

Good to know about the LG Stylo though - that was another one I considered.  The best phone I've had was the one with the LED light built into the phone, that you could set to different colors for different contacts!

Respected Contributor

Re: Motorola G 6

[ Edited ]

@kalina wrote:

I just bought the Motorola G6 when it was the special value.  I understand that when you receive a text message it does not give you a ring tone of any sort as a notification.  I don't keep my cell close to my at all times, so a flashing light will not be a great thing for me.  Is there an app that I can load to give me a ring tone for text messages, and does anyone know the name of a good one I could use? 

Thank you. 

@kalina , I've had this phone since last November.  It has a tone that you choose to notify you that you have received a text.  There is no way to make the tone repeat, however.  Also, if you wave your hand over the phone or even reach for it, the screen will come on showing you if you have a text or missed call.  In the event that I decided I wanted a flashing light for notification, I was going to download this app to use, but I never found it necessary.  I love the phone!!!!  So many neat features!  You do have to use the turbo charger that comes with it, and it will charge your phone super fast.  The battery life is not as good as other phones that I've had, but with the turbo charger, I find that to be a non-issue.  Here is the app I was going to download:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trendy.frontflashnotification&hl=en_US

@Venezia , as I stated above, there is no way to make the phone have repeated alerts for text messages.  

Occasional Contributor

Thank you.  I have printed the info about the app and will try it when I get the phone.  

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg- Thank you so much for the info about the repeat alert function not being available.  I simply didn't believe the answer to the question by a supposed Tracfone employee, as it didn't make sense.

I knew it was better to ask someone who actually had the phone.  It looks like a good phone otherwise, but I'll wait as my current phone isn't even a year old.