Honored Contributor

Re: More problems with my Apple devices

[ Edited ]

@gadgetgal613 wrote:

I called and talk to Apple support and they have no idea what is going on.  I did do a hard reset, we shared my screen and she checked my settings.  Apparently, iPhones can't get malware.  After the nightmare of getting rid of the Trojans on my iMac and Macbook Pro, I was worried it was Malware causing it.  I'm definitely putting my phone on silent tonight. 

@gadgetgal613, I can understand your concern.   I've been using Apple devices since the mid 1980s and never had any malware, but I know when it does happen to anyone it can be disconcerting.   

I guess it makes our "radar" more active so we're on the look for problems, and that can be a good thing to keep us aware and alert although that feeling of being on edge isn't good, for sure.

I don't think I explained well... 

what I was saying is that it might not be your phone making the calls.

The calls might be coming not from your phone but, instead, from outsider robocallers, telemarketers, etc., who are spoofing your caller ID to make it look like your phone is initiating them. 

The calls might be originating from elsewhere, not from your phone.

This happens with some frequency with all phones -- cell, landline, VoIP.

Apple won't be able to help with that, other than to suggest what I did -- 

that you try blocking your own phone number to see if it makes it stop.

(You can unblock it any time you want, so it won't hurt to try.)

Also, you can look under "Recents," tap the information icon (the "i" in a circle) for the call, and see if the calls are notated as Outgoing Call or Incoming Call.

Another thing...  if you determine that your phone

is actually initiating the calls, I've heard of cases in which people had Siri activate to listen and when Siri heard something that sounded like "call me" ...  well, Siri called them, from their own phone of course, with the incoming being their caller ID.

At any rate, fingers crossed that you get down to the source of this so it can be corrected.

Hope you have a peaceful evening.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

I've had someone who spoof my Facebook account and was sending me replies from me, put malware on my computers, sold my e-mail address to every spammer out there and now this.  I'm sure it's someone who didn't like a post I wrote somewhere online.  I wish I could figured how this happened but, I doubt I ever do. 

Honored Contributor

"Apparently, iPhones can't get malware. "

Uh, no. They can. Pegasus was one of the first pieces of malware to directly attack IOS. There are others out there also. Many are now "zero-click" malware designed by foreign governments and entities to spy on political rivals or those they view as hostile. This malware is extremely sophisticated and nearly impossible to detect and will even self-destruct if it thinks someone is looking for it. With zero-click malware, you don't have to do anything. They can simply send an email/text/PDF/message to you and without ever opening it the malware can enter your device.

The good news is that unless you're a reporter prone to veering from the government narrative, a dissident, a political rival, or a high-value target, you're unlikely to ever encounter this malware. (Not that you'd know you had it even when you did.) It's very expensive to buy/rent and is far more complicated than most malware out there. It does exist though. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman  Per my understanding Pegasus is spyware not malware.  Both are slightly different from each other.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@gardenman  Per my understanding Pegasus is spyware not malware.  Both are slightly different from each other.

Malware is generally viewed as the all-encompassing name for any harmful software whether it's spyware, viruses, or any software designed to interfere with the normal functioning of a computer. Spyware is a subset of malware. Malware is the more broad, all-encompassing term, while spyware is more specific. Pegasus and its related brethren are both things to most people. Kaspersky refers to Pegasus as both spyware and "modular malware" in its blog posts. 

The point is that the IOS isn't immune and can't get infected. It can. I'm pretty sure everyone infected by Pegasus considered it malicious and harmful. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Thanks

i did post a while back listing the following steps but no respnses

Any thoughts appreciated!

this is what was suggested by apple and attempted:

force restart
check and reset network settings
delete mail account and reenter
repair iOS system
Super Contributor

Thanks

force restart
repair iOS system

when attempting to send i follow each step but the photo does not send
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tessam wrote:
Thanks

force restart
repair iOS system

when attempting to send i follow each step but the photo does not send

@tessam

Did you change anything on your phone just before this started?

Which method do you use to send pix by email?

There are several ways to add your photos to email messages, and sometimes when one of them doesn't work one of the others will.

You probably know all of the ways, but in case you haven't tried them I'll list a few.

For example, you can open the Photo app, tap the image, use the "share" icon ShareIcon.png, choose "Mail" and send.

Or, open the Photo app, tap "Select."  Tap the image, then the "share" icon, then choose "Mail" and send.

You can use the "Copy" option when you select an image in the Photos app, then go to Mail, create a new message and paste it there.

Also, in the Mail app, when composing a message you can use the "Insert Photo or Video" option or tap the the Insert Photo buttonicon to select a photo.

Just doing some brainstorming...   you might have already tried all of these things, but I wanted to give it a try.

I hope you can find an answer to this. 

Have a great Monday!🌻

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions

Typically I tap the photo,select it, then select email send, select size then send..

no woosh any longer and it doesn't send

I will try the other ways and let you know

Also nothing changed with the phone prior to the issue

Again, I appreciate your suggestions!  Take care

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always used the first method you listed..

tried the second prior never works

the third which makes sense didn't work...

All worth a shot and again thanks!!