Valued Contributor

So it would seem after the Q's recent TSv laptop that Microsoft intends to wring more money out of us every year with Microsoft 365--- So does anyone know if Microsoft 2010 will work with 8.1 and up--- or 2013 will work with upcoming 9 because I'm looking to buy a key rather than pay every year for Word, Powerpoint etc. I'd rather a disc but I can't find any. Need answers asap because evidentally I'm not the only one unhappy with the 365! TIA!

Regular Contributor

According to the Microsoft site it is compatible:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Name=Microso...

I would personally never purchase the 365 since it's too darn expensive. I have Windows 7 with Office 2010 and I'm sticking with it as long as possible.

You might find a decent price on Amazon for the MS Office Home & Student version. And you might even luck out and find one with disks. Make sure the MS Office Home & Student contains all the software you need, i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint. Some contain Outlook and some do not. Check the description carefully. And, no, you do not have to be a student to purchase this version of Office on Amazon. That's where I purchased mine. It's exactly the same as the higher-priced Office.

As far as Windows 9 goes, have no idea since not much info is out yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Microsoft 2010 will work with Windows 8.1. You need to do a Google search(Moving Office 2010 to a new Computer) and check the activation(s) of your product.

Esteemed Contributor

The regular licensed product is still on the Microsoft site, you just have to dig down several layers. They do NOT make it easy. As I recall the price is the same as what Amazon offers. It no longer comes on a disc, only as a download.

Regular Contributor

I have a very old Office 97 CD I've been using and don't want all the newer features on 2003 or 2010, etc. And by golly I got it to install and run on my new Windows 8.1 computer!

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/30/2014 VolvoGirl said:

I have a very old Office 97 CD I've been using and don't want all the newer features on 2003 or 2010, etc. And by golly I got it to install and run on my new Windows 8.1 computer!

You are not safe using Office 97. It no longer qualifies for security updates. Life cycle of most Microsoft products. http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectoff

Honored Contributor

love word 2010. have it for my windows 7. we did have to pay to have Microsoft install it. it was to have been on the computer (when we ordered it from HP), but alas it was not installed. Cost us about $250.00 for both computers (tower and lap top). Would be lost without my windows 7.

I just purchased a new lap top but have not set it up. don't know if it is a windows 7 or 8. DH purchased it for me and I haven't looked in the box as of yet. Not sure if these were refurb'ed laptops. The store was selling them for a great price (just before school began this year it was a computer special)

Honored Contributor

I'm very glad they make these programs to continue working. If you have Word docs, but no Word on your computer, you don't have the program to open them.

I have used MS Works for many years. I have a bazillion Works documents but they stopped putting Works on computers for whatever reason (maybe I'm the only one who uses it). So, I had to find a source for a copy of MS Works to put on my new computers and have been pleased that, even though it's a 2008 version, it works on my Win7 and Win8 computers.

Respected Contributor
On 9/30/2014 chickenbutt said:

I'm very glad they make these programs to continue working. If you have Word docs, but no Word on your computer, you don't have the program to open them.

I have used MS Works for many years. I have a bazillion Works documents but they stopped putting Works on computers for whatever reason (maybe I'm the only one who uses it). So, I had to find a source for a copy of MS Works to put on my new computers and have been pleased that, even though it's a 2008 version, it works on my Win7 and Win8 computers.

If I were you, I'd be converting those docs to a more compatible format while you still can.

Super Contributor

Go to Openoffice.org. You can download all the MS programs (they pretty much work the same as the MS ones) for FREE.