Honored Contributor

Re: Micro SD card for Tracfone

You are correct that the Apps can't be moved, but the data files that support the Apps can go onto the card--- maybe!

So even with a card installed, the phone doesn't give you the option to install on the card, rather than the internal memory?

This is all new to me.   I've always had more phone than I needed before I went to this rinky dinky Tracfone.

@gardenman wrote:

I have a SanDisk 32 GB card in my LG Ultimate 2. You should be advised that many apps only install in the on-phone memory and not the card. That can be annoying. I don't know if they've improved on that with later versions of Android, but on my LG Ultimate 2, most of the apps still had to go on the phone. I  have tons of storage space but I still can't install all of the apps I want because many/most of them insist on installing on the phone memory rather than the memory card.

Honored Contributor

Some apps went on the card on my Ultimate 2, but they were the exception rather than the rule. One thing I have learned is to ignore the phone when it says you have to delete apps to install an upgrade. No you don't. Just install the updates one at a time instead of in a bunch and you'll be fine. In the Google Play store you can update the apps individually without losing any apps in the process.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Samsung Galaxy Core Prime phone came with 8G and that was just not enough.  I went to Best Buy and for $9  I purchased an SD chip of 16GB which is fine for my use.

If you want to add the new chip to your phone, you can follow the easy instructions on YouTube.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

I have no problem finding the card, I don't want to buy it and find out I can't use it.

I found some instructions that when the card is installed I may be able to move some of my Apps to the card, taking it out of internal storage.     Also, I may be able to uninstall an app, then reinstall with the card in, and hopefully the phone will ask if I want it installed on the card, I will say YES

I have very few apps, I need what I have, so deleting apps is not an option, which is why I am considering this purchase.

All of your posts have been very helpful.

Have you uninstalled an app then reinstalled on the SD card? You won't know if it's possible or not until you try.  

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@software wrote:

I have no problem finding the card, I don't want to buy it and find out I can't use it.

I found some instructions that when the card is installed I may be able to move some of my Apps to the card, taking it out of internal storage.     Also, I may be able to uninstall an app, then reinstall with the card in, and hopefully the phone will ask if I want it installed on the card, I will say YES

I have very few apps, I need what I have, so deleting apps is not an option, which is why I am considering this purchase.

All of your posts have been very helpful.

Have you uninstalled an app then reinstalled on the SD card? You won't know if it's possible or not until you try.  

In Android phones (at least using the OS in my Ultimate 2), if you go to System Settings then Apps and then highlight each app there's a "Move to SD card" option. Now for most apps it'll be greyed out, but on the rest you can move them to the SD card and they'll work fine from the SD card. I'm not sure if it's up to the app developer, Google, or whoever as to whether that's possible or not, but you can move some apps to the SD card to free up system memory. 

You can keep a lot of apps on a phone with limited memory if you're willing to manually update them. My phone has quite a few apps on it and 520 MB's of free space still. Now Android will insist I'm short of space and need to delete apps to free up space when it wants to do an update, but if I manually update the apps individually instead of in a bunch they update fine without my having to delete anything. The version of their OS I'm using now isn't all that smart in updating and wants enough room to update every app at once. That takes a lot more memory. Do one app at a time manually and you're fine.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

From what I'm now reading (my new phone hasn't gotten here yet) but when you mount the micro SD card in a modern Android phone you can choose to mount it as internal memory or portatble memory. If you mount it as internal memory it'll work like the phone's internal memory. I'll be testing that out later today or tomorrow to see if it's true.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!