Honored Contributor

Its doubtful anyone would buy both, but I'm wondering how the Roku compares to the Amazon Fire Stick?  They seem to be very similar.  I've had the Fire Stick a couple of weeks and have enjoyed it but I miss watching the news and weather.  I'd love to get rid of satellite but may have to keep basic service. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Media Players

[ Edited ]

cost of Roku is minimal and AFAIK   there is no additional cost  why not get it if thats what you want it for.

or what about basic antenna that will get you local channels they are still around 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an older roku.  There are lots of free channels on roku - you can choose from lots of news channels and a handful of weather channels.

I now prefer the news channels than when I used to watch live tv.  

For example, on NBC news channel if there is a big breaking story or news conference then the free channel will carry it live (for example, I watched election returns all night live).  But in addition you can choose from many segments that have already aired.  So the menu includes the past week segments from NBC news show...Today Show, Kathy & Hoda, Sunday news shows, and all MSNBC nightly shows!  Its great-you can scan segments and just watch what you are interested in!

There are also pay channels...my husband pays for sling TV ($20/mo).

It's a package of channels including ESPN channels, CNN live, HGTV, BBC America and lots of other channels to choose from.  They also have other package deals.

You could go online to compare the two brands.  It's easy to compare on the site that gives you the best buy Woman Wink

I enjoy watching TV now with my roku (no cable tv) than ever before!

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, haven't read all the posts as I am in a bit of a rush today.  Just a quick note to tell you what we did,  bought a media streaming box (android) while we still had cable hooked up.  Used it for two months to see how we liked it.  Loved no commercials and being able to watch any time.

i was reluctant to get rid of cable because of local news, weather, etc.  Found a guy who installs antennas, bought one at Costco and got rid of home phone and cable.  Five months later, cable bill less than half what we were paying and quite happy with the choice.  We get four local tv stations with the antenna.  HTH.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

Antennas are cheap, and also easy to install on newer TV sets. Most local news and PBS  can be picked up with them. How many depends on your location and the stations broadcasting power for over-the-air.

Hsn had the newest 4k Roku, which will work on all tv sets that have and HDMI input. You won't get 4k without a 4k tv set, but the picture might even be better. If you do have such a tv set, and wifi setup with at least(they say 25mbps speed, but I have only 15, and my 4k streaming has never buffered) you can get the best of the best.

With the antenna you are set for at least local news, and I am betting there are some national news networks you can pick up for free, or others you can pay a few bucks to add to choices.

It was the ts yesterday, but I think the same on today is only $10 higher.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Remember a few years ago there was a big switch to digital TV and everyone could get a voucher for some kind of free converter for a short time, then you had to pay about $40., to get one?  So if you just want local stations, wouldn't you need that?  I still have an antenna on the roof but it's not hooked up. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@hckynut  Remember a few years ago there was a big switch to digital TV and everyone could get a voucher for some kind of free converter for a short time, then you had to pay about $40., to get one?  So if you just want local stations, wouldn't you need that?  I still have an antenna on the roof but it's not hooked up. 

@Kachina624

To my knowledge, the only ones that needed that converter, were those that had, at that time, TV sets that were not capable of analog to digital conversion. If you are talking about a TV set that old? Not real sure what options are available.

Just my guess, but I am thinking you still would need that converter, but it could be that the Networks and Local Channels, no longer give that option in their over-the-air broadcasts. Analog broadcasting might have joined VHS tapes in the "technology of past decades" category.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624

To my knowledge, the only ones that needed that converter, were those that had, at that time, TV sets that were not capable of analog to digital conversion. If you are talking about a TV set that old? Not real sure what options are available.

Just my guess, but I am thinking you still would need that converter, but it could be that the Networks and Local Channels, no longer give that option in their over-the-air broadcasts. Analog broadcasting might have joined VHS tapes in the "technology of past decades" category.

hckynut(john)

Hi @hckynut,

Hi John.

You're correct.

We got one of those converter boxes for free years ago so that we could use it with the analog TV in our living room.

You had to get a voucher, which was like a coupon if I recall correctly.

You need to use the converter box with some kind of an antenna set-up, whether it's an outdoor TV antenna, or some kind of an indoor antenna.

We're in a more rural area where pick up with an indoor antenna isn't that good. We have tried different types of antennas. 

I think that it's just a matter of getting a really decent indoor antenna if we want to go that particular route again, as we have tried some of the lesser expensive antennas, only to find that they didn't work all that well for us in our location.

Editing to add that we're still trying to think of what to do regarding our TV viewing options.

Right now we use the living room TV for watching DVDs and we have a small digital TV in our bedroom that we have an old antenna hooked up to that get some stations on it that we use to watch TV with, but we're trying to consider other things to do. 

We rent, so we would have to keep to something that wouldn't disturb our landlord's property.