Super Contributor

I had a feeling I had malware on my iMac because of the performance and weird things going on.  I was right and spent most of yesterday running scans and getting rid if them.  I had Trojans which were located in my mail.  I never click on any links but, apparently just clicking on the mail to delete it was enough to infect my machine.  I used the free version of Bit Defender, changed the scanning location and found them.  Some were more difficult to get rid of than others.  I'm buying the full version today. 

If you notice a significant increase in junk mail, especially crude or offensive subject matters, run a scan.  If friends get messages, including links you didn't send, run a scan.  Apple is not immune anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I use Malwarebytes on my Macbook. I set it up to run every morning and it notifies me if there is a problem. 

Honored Contributor

Do you delete and block without opening? I don't even open email or IMs from people I don't know. I just block them and delete the message.

Honored Contributor

@gadgetgal613 

You're correct.  Opening an email can infect your computer.

I always delete without opening.  We use Malware as well as do many offices DH sets up.

Super Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I use Malwarebytes on my Macbook. I set it up to run every morning and it notifies me if there is a problem. 

Malwarebytes didn't find the malware which was on my computer.  Bitdefender did.  And to answer other people's question, no I don't open e-mail from people I don't know.  Apperently just trying to remove it was enough. 

Respected Contributor

@gadgetgal613   That is the Trojan malware that infected my Windows Vista computer nine years ago. It took over my contacts list and sent people e-mails with attachments and sent me e-mails from them. Those e-mails were completely realistic -- luckily nothing offensive. The e-mails were friendly with attachments with recipes, info on vitamins, real estate etc. It was designed to spread as easily as possible. Nothing I could do back then could get rid of it. I took it to a computer shop for a super scan and it did nothing.

I had to get a different computer -- the one where I installed a new battery this past week. 

I remember sending messages to everyone on my contacts list to warn them. It was kind of like Omicron--spreading rapidly everywhere but not really doing major damage. 

Honored Contributor

It is going to be more and more difficult because we are under even more attacks now than usual--and that's hard enough.  

The threat level is off the charts now.  I pray for people in the business in the U.S. on the top levels fighting this aggression.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Malware on my Mac

[ Edited ]

@gadgetgal613

I used Bitdenfender for years, and found Malwarebytes to he better.

A few years ago Bitdenfender was a cloud based program. It was cool. I would try it for 30 days. 

I used Window tools from Bleeping computer. Com. 

Honored Contributor

I just wanted to say that you cannot get a virus just by opening an email.  You have to click on a link.  In the Mail program that comes with a Mac you can't delete the email without opening it.  I found many articles on the web explaining this.

Here is just one:  

Can you get a virus from opening an email?

Getting a virus from just opening an email is thankfully an incident of past. An Outlook vulnerability allowed emails to run JavaScript code and infect your computer and some people still believe that just opening an email is dangerous.

Can you get a virus from just opening an email?

Email viruses - which account for the majority of computer viruses - are activated when a user either clicks on a malicious link, downloads a malicious attachment or interacts in some other way with the body of an infected email and not just open email.

Is it really safe to open an email & not get a virus?

Previously few email clients allowed scripting, which made it possible to get a virus by simply opening a message but computers aren't infected just by opening emails anymore. Most viruses, Trojan horses, and worms are activated when you open an attachment or click a link contained in an email message, inshort just opening an email is safe. Viruses are commonly delivered in phishing, spam or malware emails.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Both of my computers are now clean.  I'm also part of a listserv mass e-mail group and may have gotten it from a download or clicking on a link.  No spam e-mail today which is something I haven't seen for months.  What a pain.  One of the locations was keynote which makes me suspicious of the e-mail group.