Esteemed Contributor

MacBook Pro wifi connections issue

[ Edited ]

For some reason, I can’t connect to the internet by wifi with my MacBook Pro.  No problem with my iPhone or iPad Pro.

I have unplugged the modem, turned it on and off, all the easy troubleshooting with no success.  As usual, my ISP is no help.  Any thoughts?  I am working on a large community project and I need the computer for documents, files, etc.

Any ideas would be apprciated.  TIA.  LM

Regular Contributor

Re: MacBook Pro wifi connections issue

We seem to be having similar problems. Took computer to Apple they found no problem brought it home same problem.  Xfinity came out and changed everything , did not help. Today took the computer to BEST BUY and they will do diagnostic.  Hopefully they find out what is going on. Good luck with yours. 

Contributor

I was having the same problem. Went to Best Buy and purchased an ORBI.  It is wonderful. Have not had a problem since.  There is a small learning curve, nothing not doable.  They have different sizes for sq footage and size of house.  Be sure to get the right size.  They cost a little, but well worth it.  Have a great day.

Contributor

Just realized QVC has them also. Only problem is you have to wait to recieve it

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Aside from rechecking all your settings and maybe deleting and then reestablishing the connection from your computer, I can't think of anything other than taking it in to a MAC store to have it checked out.

I can tell you that when I didn't have a computer with a full version of Word (I have a Chromebook with the online only version and needed more), I used the computer at a local library. And I noticed that another library had both MacBooks and Windows laptops that could be checked out. If you need to have your computer repaired and it will take more than a few hours, investigate the options at your local library. A loaner computer may help you complete work on your project and not fall behind due to down time.

Honored Contributor

How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

Copy/paste ---> support.apple.com/en-us/HT202222

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Gourmet , I have a range extender.  I don’t think that is the issue.  

All of a sudden it doesn’t work.  

@Mz iMac , I will check out your troubleshooting list.  Thanks for that.

The only thing different may be a OS update.  Would that cause it?  I shut off Bluetooth as that is a common issue.

Hoping I can find a solution before going to the Apple Store.  I am not a fan. It is the loudest place in the mall.  Have you ever tried to take a class in one.  Next to useless imo.  

Mynoriject will last the next coup,emof years so a loaner is not a solution.

Thanks everyone.  Is appreciate the suggestions.  LM

@Gourmet @Mz iMac @Alison Wonderland @tervuren 

Esteemed Contributor

@tervuren , I get a short connection and then it dies...

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom 

Why don't you use the ethernet if using your MBP in the house?  Asking because, I never use wifi when I am home.

Make sure your network name is at the top of list in System Preferences>Network>Wi-Fi>Advanced

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will usually unplug my extender for a few seconds and plug it back on and that fixes the problem.

If that doesn't work - unplug your router and connect again

look to see what network wifi is trying to connect to

my laptop may want to connect to a 5G but Im too far away and make it switch to 2G

good luck