Respected Contributor

MacBook Pro - Transfer of Passwords

I have two MacBook Pros.  Original one is a early 2011 and the one I purchased last year (new/never used) is a mid 2012.  Both are running on the same network and using the version of macOS Sierra. A different name is assigned to each computer.

We were able to migrate documents, photos, etc using Seagate backup system.

But we can't figure out how to move/migrate/import my existing stored passwords in Safari Preferences onto the new machine (which is why I am still primarily using the 2011 machine).

We tried using migration assistant but it doesn't seem to be working.  We can get so far into the application then just get the spinning wheel.  

I am not techy and my husband is a PC guy, whose colored vocabulary is getting quite vivid in trying to figure this out.

Whether this matters or not, I am leery of the iCloud, so I have very little shared there.

Honored Contributor

Re: MacBook Pro - Transfer of Passwords

Do you have keychain checked on both macs ( system preference/icloud) and using the same icloud account on both macs? That's what it's job is. 

Alternatively, I just restore my new mac with a time machine backup from my old mac that's saved on an external drive when I buy a new one. I've done it at least three times now. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Check out the following links:

Using  Setup  Assistant 

Setting-up a new Mac from an old one, its Backups, or a PC

If the above does not work & also the suggestions by the other OP, strongly suggest that you take full advantage of Apple's phone technical support.  Hopefully, you also purchased AppleCare.

HTH

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac@jaxs mom

Thank you both for your replies.  As stated I have little understanding of many of the ins & outs of Apple products.  I struggle trying to comprehend a system I find confusing compared to a PC.   I have very little knowledge of the workings of iCloud and have tended to avoid linking to it.

To answer your question @Mz iMac, regarding Apple Care.  Yes, I had that when I originally purchased the 2011 MacBook Pro.  It has since expired.  The Apple Care for the 2012 only had 3 months of Apple Care  remaining when purchased.

Thanks again, I will need to keep reading, researching, and learning. 

Respected Contributor

Do you have your user names and passwords saved any place other than the computer?  I made a list using Pages and add to it as needed.  You can always enter each user name and password as you enter a site on your new computer.  While not as fast, it will work. 

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Mz iMac@jaxs mom

Thank you both for your replies.  As stated I have little understanding of many of the ins & outs of Apple products.  I struggle trying to comprehend a system I find confusing compared to a PC.   I have very little knowledge of the workings of iCloud and have tended to avoid linking to it.

To answer your question @Mz iMac, regarding Apple Care.  Yes, I had that when I originally purchased the 2011 MacBook Pro.  It has since expired.  The Apple Care for the 2012 only had 3 months of Apple Care  remaining when purchased.

Thanks again, I will need to keep reading, researching, and learning. 

If you refuse to use icloud, then you won't have your devices synced the way you want them to. You need to do what I posted. Sign into your icloud account on both devices and click the box that says keychain in icloud. Keychains job is to sync your passwords across devices. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom

OK, now I understand.  Is doing this the same as having your data "out on the cloud", ie., is there risk of people being able to capture your information?

Respected Contributor

@glb613

Yes, I have a list of all passwords.

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@jaxs mom

OK, now I understand.  Is doing this the same as having your data "out on the cloud", ie., is there risk of people being able to capture your information?

There is always a risk when you use the internet. If you want to synch your computers, this is what you have to do.  As I posted, you can enter them manually.  

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom

@glb613

@Mz iMac

Thanks all.  I stumbled my way through setting up my iCloud to link the data from both MacBook Pros.  My husband will be proud of my taking the initiative.