Honored Contributor

So I haven't had my Macbook too long, but I feel like such an idiot, I don't know what I'm doing. I have an iPad Air and iPod, I have no problem using them. This is just so foreign to me. I have looked at some tutorials online, but I just don't get it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: MacBook Air 2020, I'm Lost

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2. MacBook for Dummies?  If we ever return to normal times, maybe classes at Apple Stores.

20210120_155511.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Which Macbook Air do you have?  Does yours have the Apple M1 chip?  If so, you can run iOS apps as well as OS apps.

It would help if you tell us what is it you do not get?

Macs now have built-in user manuals......

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at Wed, Jan 20, 2021-6.50.18 PM.png

@Jordan2 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac I have the newest one, I bought it around Black Friday. I think I should invest in a book. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

So I haven't had my Macbook too long, but I feel like such an idiot, I don't know what I'm doing. I have an iPad Air and iPod, I have no problem using them. This is just so foreign to me. I have looked at some tutorials online, but I just don't get it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

When I changed to Apple in 2012, the hardest things for me was finding where data was stored and how to save where I wanted.  With Windows, a dialog window pops up and asks what you want to do or where do you want to save it.  Apple just saves it where it has been programed to do unless you know how to change things. 

How to save a document 

Respected Contributor

@glb613 , that link didn't work for me.

When I bought my MacBook Pro, I was pretty lost too.  I went in for one of the classes but I did not find it very helpful.  When I have an issue I just google it or ask someone who knows.  For me, practice is the best way to learn.

I saw a show that I had recorded last night about electronics and what breaks down most often (which brand).  All these devices have their issues.  I am all Apple now.  It has it's conveniences which I appreciate as I add to the brand family but there are things about all of them that drive me crazy.

When I put my iPad Pro back to factory settings, when I set it up again it sensed my iPhone XR, instructed me to move it closer and then added all my contacts, etc over.  What's not to like about that?  I know that I am one who is hooked on my devices.  That's ok with me.  ☺️

Good luck @Jordan2 .  It is quite a change.

Contributor

Do a search on new mac user tutorials; they are free and fairly easy to use. Once you get the basics, you can check out specific areas. I started with David A. Cox tutorial ...he is a bit obnoxious sometimes, but is pretty good at instructing.

I did this in 2018 when I switched from 20+ years of using PCs. I'm not an expert but can use my Mac pretty well and can find all my results when done. One of the big differences is that you choose default locations when using a PC, but Apple chooses defaults for you so that once you find where they put results you're OK. You can change the defaults, but in most cases I don't bother.

I noticed there are new tutorials for 2020 Macs. Happy computing!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

that link didn't work for me.

@Lilysmom1 

One of the core aspects of the Mac experience is saving files—when you create something in Pages or iMovie, you almost always want to save it for additional work or future reference. Because saving is so important, it’s easy, but you can get more out of the Save dialog by knowing a handful of tricks. These techniques are fun to use and can save you a lot of clicking around.

Saving without Opening the Save Dialog

In a hurry? Don’t even bother to open the Save dialog. Instead, click the title bar at the top of your document window. A small popover appears, in which you can name (or rename) the file, add tags, and choose a location from any favorite or recent folder (more on favorites later). To save to any available location, choose Other from the bottom of the Where menu.

Accessing the Save Dialog

To open the Save dialog from an untitled document, choose File > Save. To save a copy of an already named file with a new name or to a different location, choose File > Save As. If you don’t see Save As on the File menu, hold down the Option key while you view the File menu.

Handling the Compressed Save Dialog

Most apps display the compressed Save dialog by default. This dialog offers the same options as those available from the title bar. To expand the Save dialog for more options (look at the next screenshot down), click the Expand button as shown below. If you prefer to work in the compressed dialog, click the button again.

Saving To A Favorite

The left-hand sidebar in the expanded Save dialog shows your favorite folders—the same folders that appear in both the title bar’s save options and the sidebar of your Finder windows. To save into a favorite folder, click it to make it the Save As location—you can see this with the Documents folder in the image below.

A quick way to add a folder to the sidebar so it’s always available there is to drag it from the main portion of the Save dialog into the sidebar, as you can see with the Cards and Letters folder in the image below, which is being placed on the sidebar above the Desktop folder. For more about favorites, refer to our article Why (and How) Using Finder Favorites Will Boost Your Productivity.

Saving to the Desktop Quickly

To switch the Save location to the Desktop instantly, press Command-D. This trick works everywhere: in the title bar, in the compressed Save dialog, and in the expanded Save dialog. You can also press Command-Shift-O (that’s the letter O, not a zero) to switch to the Documents folder in either the compressed or the expanded Save dialog.

Naming Repeating Files Accurately

Do you save nearly the same file time and time again? Perhaps you download and save a monthly credit card statement, or you create a quarterly report for your boss. In each case, it makes sense to a use a filename that varies only slightly to indicate the date, but it can be difficult to remember the exact name so you can type it accurately. To solve this problem, click an older file—it will be dimmed—within the expanded Save dialog. The file’s name autofills into the Save As field. You can now edit it to indicate the new date, and you’re all set.

Dragging and Dropping the Destination Folder

Say the folder you want to save into is visible in the Finder, but your Save dialog is focused elsewhere. To switch the Save dialog to the folder that’s visible in the Finder, drag that folder’s icon from the Finder and drop it on the main portion of the Save dialog. The Save As location switches to that folder. If you instead drag a file from the Finder to the Save dialog, the Save As location changes to match the file’s location, and the file’s name is pre-filled in the Save As field.

Moving up in the Folder Hierarchy

If you have navigated too deep within the Save dialog, a quick way to go up one level is to press Command-Up arrow. Or, click the pop-up menu from near the top center of the Save dialog to choose any folder location higher up in the folder hierarchy.

Saving files on your Mac in the ideal location doesn’t have to be a chore, and we hope these tips will save you from excessive clicking around as you navigate within the Save dialog!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac , wow!  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 

I could have written this.  Especially the "drive me crazy" part.   But the positives outweigh the negatives.  I think. 😏