Honored Contributor

Mac system upgrade 10.10 and Yahoo messanger

I just upgraded my Mac book and it seems there is no updated version of Yahoo IM as yet Smiley Sad its more than a bit annoying Smiley Sad just another one of life's inconveinces

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Mac system upgrade 10.10 and Yahoo messanger

Why not just use the messages app that comes with yosemite? Have you added your yahoo email to your internet accounts list in system preferences?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 jaxs mom said:

Why not just use the messages app that comes with yosemite? Have you added your yahoo email to your internet accounts list in system preferences?

I am not even sure what you are talking about can you please explain a bit more thank you

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Yosemite is the name of OSX 10.10 that you referenced in your OP title. The operating system of your macbook comes with an application ( program) that you can use to instant message people. It's called Messages. You can find Messages through Launchpad on your tool bar or just type Messages in Spotlight ( the search function in the upper right of your monitor).

If you open System Preferences ( from your tool bar, spotlight or by using Finder/Applications) you will see another application called Internet Accounts. You need to add your yahoo email address to Internet Accounts so that you can send and receive messages using your yahoo email address in the Messages application.

It's up to yahoo to update their application to work with OSX Yosemite. In the meantime you can still IM using the Messages application instead.

Honored Contributor

On 10/22/2014 jaxs mom said:

Yosemite is the name of OSX 10.10 that you referenced in your OP title. The operating system of your macbook comes with an application ( program) that you can use to instant message people. It's called Messages. You can find Messages through Launchpad on your tool bar or just type Messages in Spotlight ( the search function in the upper right of your monitor).

If you open System Preferences ( from your tool bar, spotlight or by using Finder/Applications) you will see another application called Internet Accounts. You need to add your yahoo email address to Internet Accounts so that you can send and receive messages using your yahoo email address in the Messages application.

It's up to yahoo to update their application to work with OSX Yosemite. In the meantime you can still IM using the Messages application instead.

Thank you but I am still not sure I get the connection, I use YIM to chat with friends which I can not do until Yahoo upgrades their system, I also use it to alert me to new e mails, which I will now have to use my I phone for.

Its just annoying that when you have used a program for 15 years and you are no longer able to use it.

Respected Contributor

"Thank you but I am still not sure I get the connection, I use YIM to chat with friends which I can not do until Yahoo upgrades their system, I also use it to alert me to new e mails, which I will now have to use my I phone for.

Its just annoying that when you have used a program for 15 years and you are no longer able to use it."

What she is saying is, you can use Messages and do the same thing. This is how:

"you will see another application called Internet Accounts. You need to add your yahoo email address to Internet Accounts so that you can send and receive messages using your yahoo email address in the Messages application."

Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 glb613 said:

"Thank you but I am still not sure I get the connection, I use YIM to chat with friends which I can not do until Yahoo upgrades their system, I also use it to alert me to new e mails, which I will now have to use my I phone for.

Its just annoying that when you have used a program for 15 years and you are no longer able to use it."

What she is saying is, you can use Messages and do the same thing. This is how:

"you will see another application called Internet Accounts. You need to add your yahoo email address to Internet Accounts so that you can send and receive messages using your yahoo email address in the Messages application."

YIM is a free standing pop up that I leave open all the time, I am still not sure what messages is. I am pretty computer literate and do not get this connection what do ever, call me stupid but I do not get it

Honored Contributor

I know what Yahoo instant messenger is. I've used it. Messages does the same thing, except it lets you do it using a variety of internet based email and chat systems like yahoo, google, AOL ect. You can chat with your yahoo friends and with other friends that use different instant messaging applications.

What I'm saying is you can use Messages instead of yahoo instant messenger to do the same thing. You just have to go into Internet Accounts on your macbook and add your yahoo account information.

As far as your email notifications, You can use the Mail application for that, you just need to set it up. It basically has yahoo forward your emails to your macbook Mail application where you can read them, save them or delete them without having to go to yahoo's webpage.

Honored Contributor

On 10/23/2014 jaxs mom said:

I know what Yahoo instant messenger is. I've used it. Messages does the same thing, except it lets you do it using a variety of internet based email and chat systems like yahoo, google, AOL ect. You can chat with your yahoo friends and with other friends that use different instant messaging applications.

What I'm saying is you can use Messages instead of yahoo instant messenger to do the same thing. You just have to go into Internet Accounts on your macbook and add your yahoo account information.

As far as your email notifications, You can use the Mail application for that, you just need to set it up. It basically has yahoo forward your emails to your macbook Mail application where you can read them, save them or delete them without having to go to yahoo's webpage.

Ok so how do I get messages I am not following the process, see to be having all sorts of Yahoo issues today, my e mail app on my phone has decided to c++ap out also

Super Contributor

On 10/23/2014 I am still oxox said:
On 10/23/2014 jaxs mom said:

Ok so how do I get messages I am not following the process, see to be having all sorts of Yahoo issues today, my e mail app on my phone has decided to c++ap out also

What version of OS X are you running on your Mac?

Messages is an app that you'll find in Applications. If you are using Yosemite and also have an iPhone you can now send SMS text messages from your computer to anyone, just like you always have done on your iPhone. Previously, the Apple Messages app would only let you text other Apple device users from the computer.