Honored Contributor

Re: MAC OSCatalina Is Here!!!

@I am still oxox wrote:

Just did the update and many of my apps are not compatible Smiley Sad, pain in the butt, now I have to figure out how to update them

@I am still oxox  Go to the apps Preferences & click on the "Update" button if there is one.  If the apps are 32-bit, you will need to contact the developers.  If they are not going to upgrade or update, trash them.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

what kind of apps?  I don't have a lot on my Mac 

How to Find and View All 32-Bit Apps on a Mac

The simplest way to see all 32-bit applications (and 64-bit apps) on a Mac is to use System Information

• Hold down the OPTION / ALT key on your keyboard, then pull down the  Apple menu
  • Choose “System Information” from the top of the Apple menu list *
  • In the System Information app, scroll down the left-side menu and look under “Software” and choose “Applications”
  • Look for the “64-bit (Intel)” option in the column header, and click on that to sort the column by 64-bit

How to find and view all 32-bit apps on a Mac

1. Every app that says “No” is 32-bit, every app that says “Yes” is 64-bit

In the screenshot example here, you can see that this particular Mac has quite a few 32-bit apps installed and in regular use, including Steam, SuperDuper, TextWrangler, Warcraft 3, and WriteRoom. Of course this is just an example, and there are many other apps used by Mac users which are 32-bit.

If you find 32-bit apps, and you plan on consistently installing all future Mac OS software versions and updates, then you’ll want to get those apps updated to 64-bit, contact the developers to ask about 64-bit support, or find replacements for the apps in question. It’s likely that 32-bit apps will still run down the road in macOS (for a while anyway), but Apple suggests there will be some sort of compromise associated with doing so.

* If you don’t see “System Information” in the  Apple drop down menu, then you probably did not hold down the OPTION key while reviewing the  Apple menu options. Hold Option and try again. Or, try an alternative method of launching System Information app.

You can also access System Information from the /Applications/Utilities/ folder, or by launching it via Spotlight.

Does this also mean Macs and MacOS will be 64-bit too?

Yes. But… if you’re a keen observer of computing history (and who isn’t! *nerd snort*) then you may recall that Mac OS X Snow Leopard shipped with a 64-bit kernel and all releases since then have too. In other words, if your Mac is vaguely new, it’s already 64-bit, since Macs haven’t been 32-bit since 2006 when the first series of Intel-based Macs debuted (but you can always check for 64-bit CPU architecture or which of the 32-bit or 64-bit kernel is in use if you aren’t sure about a particular Mac). Essentially this means that after about a decade of supporting the older 32-bit apps and architecture, Apple looks like they want to move entirely to 64-bit soon.

So just keep an eye on what apps you’re using that may still be 32-bit, and update the apps that you can. Or if you’re highly reliant on an older 32-bit app that won’t be updated, consider avoiding macOS High Sierra upgrades or any other future major system software release where full support may no longer exist, at least until you have your app situation sorted out.

Full article plus other important info:  copy/paste link--->osxdaily.com/2018/03/06/find-32-bit-apps-mac/

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Just finished the download, install, process.  Took the better part of 2+ hours.  This includes the Catalina download and install, having to download a new scanner driver for my printer, finding a new way to use the scanner since the old Brother system was 32 bit and Catalina only accepts 64 bit, a new Adobe Reader, and makins sure that everything else will work.

It was a ponderous, debilitating process.  

Honored Contributor

I feel fortunate. I did the download and install last night and it went fine. And....for some reason. My really old printer still works. I was thrilled. 

A few weeks ago I downloaded the new versions of Microsoft Word and Excel so I didn't have a problem with any of that. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

A biggie for me is that my Microsoft Word is not 64 bit.  I think the only way to upgrade is to go to a subscription service.  Also, my husband's printer is not, and a little app I use to do grabs off my screen, SnapNDrag is not 64 bit.  My printer is, but I made sure it was going to be compatible before I upgraded to Mojave.  Since I just upgraded to Mojave about a month ago, I'm in no hurry to upgrade again.

Someone mentioned older MACS.  I think the issue there has to do with whether it has enough RAM.  My husband's old MAC has not been updated past Sierra I think because he doesn't have enough.  

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

Thanks I found a substitute for one, I was using Wunderlist and I found that Notes which is a built in program, only thing that is annoying is our Cable app, we can watch cable tv on the computer if we are in a covered area. My hubby can not upgrade yet since he uses this app all the time

@Mz iMac wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Just did the update and many of my apps are not compatible Smiley Sad, pain in the butt, now I have to figure out how to update them

@I am still oxox  Go to the apps Preferences & click on the "Update" button if there is one.  If the apps are 32-bit, you will need to contact the developers.  If they are not going to upgrade or update, trash them.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

My upgrade completed easily and took an hour and 15 minutes. I set up my wireless Brother printer using the ip address and it works well.

The only snag I hit was doing a complete backup prior to the upgrade...for some reason it took nearly 2 hours...but I don't much understand or like Time Machine.  There has to be a better way.  My windows backup used to take about an hour and the hard drive was  double the size of this one!

Honored Contributor

my husband is taking in my MAC into the apple store to have the new OS system downloaded on Friday of this week.

the last 2 times we did it here at home it was a total disaster.

let them do it,they know what they are doing.

Frequent Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

my husband is taking in my MAC into the apple store to have the new OS system downloaded on Friday of this week.

the last 2 times we did it here at home it was a total disaster.

let them do it,they know what they are doing.

I may have to do the same. Still have High Sierra on mine.

Respected Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Before I do the upgrade, I've got to see if there's a new print driver available.  If not, I may wait.  If there is, I'll do 

the upgrade and hope.

I'll let everyone know.

I'll pass.  I have too many games which are not 64 bit and I don't want them to become unplayable.