Respected Contributor

Liking my second generation Kindle Oasis so far

I was wanting to return, you know  buyers remorse,  but I decided to sell my first generation  and apply it to my bestbuy purchase of this.

Pros:  Love the audiobook  feature and the larger screen  feels more like a book. I like the inverting black and white .

Cons:  you can not listen and read at the same time. Whispersync is not enabled here. Its one or the other but not both at the same time. Also poor battery life. I hear leaving it in airplaine mode when not in use helps conserve battery so I am trying that.

I have not purchased a cover yet.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Liking my second generation Kindle Oasis so far

@kcladyz

I was going to sell my previous Oasis but decided to keep it & sold my Voyage instead.

I love the new Oasis! I wasn’t sure I would like the bigger size but I do. Even though it’s bigger & weighs a little more it’s so thin it’s easier to hold.

I like the auto lighting feature. My Voyage had that but it always seemed to brighten when I wanted it to darken. This one works perfectly!

I like the fact that it’s waterproof- I’ve never dropped one in the water yet but nice to know it’ll be safe if I do.

I don’t like audio books but a couple of my previous Kindles had “text to speech.” That was nice because you could switch back & forth & didn’t need to buy audio book versions.

I have the Decal Girl Tidal Bloom skin on it & it looks just beautiful! It’s my favorite Kindle & I’ve had every one. I like to say it’s my last Kindle but....

I read a lot of posts on the Kindle (Amazon) community self-help forums.  They say the battery life will improve after the first few charges. 

Respected Contributor

I di dnot think I would like audio but it helps move threw a book faster.  I can do chores or whatever

Valued Contributor

Just posting this for those interested in text to speech, all the Kindle models have this feature. It's there for those who are visually impaired and you need blue tooth ear phones. If you go to settings/accessibility/voiceview screen reader this will be text to speech. I highly recommend doing the tutorial before exploring it. Instructions should also be in the user manual on your Kindle. I stumbled across this accidentally and was pleased to see it. So you really do have the option of reading, listening to Audible books or using text to speech. Love Kindle!

Respected Contributor

The new nook has a btter night  feature the screen turns a nice orange

Honored Contributor

I love my PaperWhite and you are right: Keeping your device in airplane mode DOES conserve the battery. I only switch it off when I plug it in at night to re-charge.

Glad you are so happy with your Oasis.

Respected Contributor

I am not a fan of text to speech.  You get more from it from buying the audible

Valued Contributor

I completely agree but many say they miss this feature and I wanted to make those aware that it's still on the Kindle. The text to speech is a robotic voice but Audible has real people.