Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leave in on ,or off ?

[ Edited ]

I certainly understand wanting a cell phone for your emergencies only but what if someone else has an emergency and needs to reach you?

I've had a cell phone since it was a box phone that plugged into the cigarette lighter spot.  Didn't receive a dozen calls on it for years.  People who would need me did know how to reach me and I had phone access.

Everyone uses any phone to suit their own needs.  I use mine as a phone only and seldom.  I was tethered to a 6 line office phone for years.  No thanks.  Recently I was stranded (car) in an area without WiFi and used the data for the first time.  It was there when I needed it.  Enough!

My daughter does literally "everything" on her phone from an alarm clock to depositing a check to ordering dinner.  That's her thing, not mine!

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

For myself,this is the first mobile phone other than flip phones, i got a low battery warning this morning,so charging now i was surprised and it takes longer to charge than my flip phone,all this is new to me.

@goldensrbest- Yes, smartphones do kill the battery faster than the older style phones.  It's generally all the apps that are running in the background.  I plug mine in to recharge pretty much every night (even though it's not really low); it's just a habit I've gotten into.

Enjoy your new smartphone.  I don't know if you're aware, but Tracfone has tutorials for each of their phones on their website.  I found them very helpful "back in the day", when we got our first smartphones.

Esteemed Contributor

I shut mine off.. I am not a heavy cell phone user I shut it down when I go to sleep.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest- I believe I caught that you do not have a landline.  If this is the case, leave your phone on and charge it at night.

Respected Contributor

For me on during the day, off at night. DH leaves his on all the time. We also have a landline.

Honored Contributor

Why would someone have cell phone and keep it turned off????  Unless it's a 2nd cell phone for a specific purpose.  I might be missing something here but when your phone not "be in use".  Even if you use a land line to make calls, someone might still call you on your cell.  It's not like charging your phone costs you  money.

Honored Contributor

I am having fun with this tracfone, texting to my grandaughters.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why would someone have cell phone and keep it turned off????  Unless it's a 2nd cell phone for a specific purpose.  I might be missing something here but when your phone not "be in use".  Even if you use a land line to make calls, someone might still call you on your cell.  It's not like charging your phone costs you  money.

There are people who will rarely get or make calls. They aren't worried about missing a call because maybe two people have their cell number.  I never had family calling me - they lived hundreds of miles from me. I had very, very few friends who had cell phones.

As I stated earlier in the thread, it was dumb to leave my phone on for 8 hrs in a lead-shielded environment where it was constantly seeking (and never finding) service. Ran the battery down before noon.

I didn't give my cell number out to businesses or doctors because they could call my home phone and leave me a voicemail.

If I needed to make a call outside of work, I turned it on and made the call.  If I was meeting friends somewhere, I turned it on. If I was expecting a call or thought it was fairly likely I might get one, I turned it on outside of work. Otherwise there was no reason to leave it on. I wasn't getting any critical calls.

Once I got a mainstream phone with a mainstream provider and I did mostly have signal at work, I started leaving my phone on. The more I left it on, the more businesses and friends got my number. I also used it as my mini-iPad during the day and still do.

Now that it's my only phone I use it for everything all the time when I'm not home. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Leave in on ,or off ?

[ Edited ]

I turn mine off.  Tired of scam calls even with the BLOCKING opportunities. Got it off now.  I have a home phone, wish I could turn that one off also.  If want to contact someone I will turn it on. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Now that's a classic - never get incoming calls but (I) keep it turned OFF to save battery.  Hmm   (too funny)

@fthunt  May I ask what you find so darn amusing?  I keep a cell for emergencies only and for my convenience.  I don't want to receive calls on it.  As soon as you start handing out the number, you are obligated to leave it on and answer it or check for messages.  I don't want to do that.  I have a land-line for receiving calls. 

I'll leave it to you to be a slave to your cell phone. 

Why does anyone think if you have a cell phone on, you're a slave to it?  Where does that thinking come from?  At least half the people I know don't have a landline anymore.  So, if you turn off your phone, you aren't able to make or recieve any calls.  For those who have a landline, would any of you take the reciever of your land line "off the hook" 24/7?  Would you unplug your landline phones?  I'm sure the answer is no so why should a cell phone user turn off their phone?  You can silence the phone so it doesn't wake you at night and still have it operational in case of an emergency.  Just like how the rotary phone was replace by touch tone phones, landline phones will eventually be replaced by cell phones. 

There are a lot of people who wear their "lack of being tech savvy" or "being old fashion" like a badge of honor.  It doesn' make you better or less than someone who embraces every new tech item that comes along. It's not an all or nothing situation.  You can have a cell phone, leave it on 24/7 and still have a life.  

I have fully embraced the new technology--but I run it, it doesn't run me.   I don't leave my cell phone on 24/7 so that I have the life I want.  NOBODY needs to get in touch with me 24/7.   I have a landline, but I don't answer it unless caller id says it is someone I know and also want to talk to.  Anyone is free to leave a message and I will decide what to do when I listen to it.

For a good part of the day, I am not available to others.  I am doing my business office hours, reading, or something else I don't want to be interrupted.  I am not at everyone's beck and call 24/5 or even 12/24.  My choice.