Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Now that's a classic - never get incoming calls but (I) keep it turned OFF to save battery.  Hmm   (too funny)

@fthunt  May I ask what you find so darn amusing?  I keep a cell for emergencies only and for my convenience.  I don't want to receive calls on it.  As soon as you start handing out the number, you are obligated to leave it on and answer it or check for messages.  I don't want to do that.  I have a land-line for receiving calls. 

I'll leave it to you to be a slave to your cell phone. 

Why does anyone think if you have a cell phone on, you're a slave to it?  Where does that thinking come from?  At least half the people I know don't have a landline anymore.  So, if you turn off your phone, you aren't able to make or recieve any calls.  For those who have a landline, would any of you take the reciever of your land line "off the hook" 24/7?  Would you unplug your landline phones?  I'm sure the answer is no so why should a cell phone user turn off their phone?  You can silence the phone so it doesn't wake you at night and still have it operational in case of an emergency.  Just like how the rotary phone was replace by touch tone phones, landline phones will eventually be replaced by cell phones. 

There are a lot of people who wear their "lack of being tech savvy" or "being old fashion" like a badge of honor.  It doesn' make you better or less than someone who embraces every new tech item that comes along. It's not an all or nothing situation.  You can have a cell phone, leave it on 24/7 and still have a life.  

@glb613 Who said anything about not knowing how to use a cell phone?  I have a smart phone and know how to use it. 

As for being a slave to your cell, just look around you.  I sat in a crowded waiting room at a hospital a couple weeks ago, and observed that every person who came into or left the area had a cell phone in his or her hand.  You don't call that being a slave to the phone?  Heavens forbid you leave home without it.  Twenty five years ago you didn't have a phone and did quite nicely talking to people around you and making phone calls at home. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I know people that are always looking at their phone, they are attached to it  all the time.

Yes, of course.  I'm sure most of us know people like that.

But not everyone who owns a cell phone is attached to it all the time.  It's a convenience that can make life a lot easier - or a lot more limited - depending how each of us choose to use it.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Now that's a classic - never get incoming calls but (I) keep it turned OFF to save battery.  Hmm   (too funny)

@fthunt  May I ask what you find so darn amusing?  I keep a cell for emergencies only and for my convenience.  I don't want to receive calls on it.  As soon as you start handing out the number, you are obligated to leave it on and answer it or check for messages.  I don't want to do that.  I have a land-line for receiving calls. 

I'll leave it to you to be a slave to your cell phone. 

Why does anyone think if you have a cell phone on, you're a slave to it?  Where does that thinking come from?  At least half the people I know don't have a landline anymore.  So, if you turn off your phone, you aren't able to make or recieve any calls.  For those who have a landline, would any of you take the reciever of your land line "off the hook" 24/7?  Would you unplug your landline phones?  I'm sure the answer is no so why should a cell phone user turn off their phone?  You can silence the phone so it doesn't wake you at night and still have it operational in case of an emergency.  Just like how the rotary phone was replace by touch tone phones, landline phones will eventually be replaced by cell phones. 

There are a lot of people who wear their "lack of being tech savvy" or "being old fashion" like a badge of honor.  It doesn' make you better or less than someone who embraces every new tech item that comes along. It's not an all or nothing situation.  You can have a cell phone, leave it on 24/7 and still have a life.  

@glb613 Who said anything about not knowing how to use a cell phone?  I have a smart phone and know how to use it. 

As for being a slave to your cell, just look around you.  I sat in a crowded waiting room at a hospital a couple weeks ago, and observed that every person who came into or left the area had a cell phone in his or her hand.  You don't call that being a slave to the phone?  Heavens forbid you leave home without it.  Twenty five years ago you didn't have a phone and did quite nicely talking to people around you and making phone calls at home. 

What makes you think they're answering phone calls? Before cell phones, people sat in waiting rooms and either thumbed through old, dirty, germy magazines, or they fidgeted with impatience.

I take my phone out while I'm in any type of waiting room simply to pass the time, not to respond to phone calls. I can check emails, cruise QVC, look a lunch spot up on Yelp, play solitaire or mah jong or cruise FB - all time-killers. Or buy something on Amazon ;-) People also bring Kindles and paperbacks, but a phone isn't something you have to remember to bring, for most people.

Although I've always been a person who will sometimes chat with strangers, I'm not into doing it out of bored desperation. I'd rather have my own entertainment.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

On taking your Trac phone with you but not turning it on, this has been a problem with my parents doing this. Their dog babysitter has called us trying to get in touch with them and we've had to wait for them to get to their hotel before we could reach them. They've learned not to do that anymore, but it took a couple minor emergencies to get them to have it on.

We don't have a landline anymore so I often leave my phone on the coffee table, but my problem is forgetting to take it with me, for short errands mostly.