Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Now that's a classic - never get incoming calls but (I) keep it turned OFF to save battery.  Hmm   (too funny)

@fthunt  May I ask what you find so darn amusing?  I keep a cell for emergencies only and for my convenience.  I don't want to receive calls on it.  As soon as you start handing out the number, you are obligated to leave it on and answer it or check for messages.  I don't want to do that.  I have a land-line for receiving calls. 

I'll leave it to you to be a slave to your cell phone. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

My original purpose for even owning a cellphone was to keep "cell time of the night". With my hockey league, ice time was close to $4 per minute, and they went strictly by cellphone time. I ran our games accordingly as to not acrue more payments due for running over our alloted amount of game time.

I too use it only when I am out and about, if, an emergency should arise. My wife and Tracfone are the only ones that know to whom that number is assigned. Don't even turn it on till game time, then off it went. Not sure I would even know the procedure needed to answer a phone call, I didn't with my last one, and my wife will never let me forget that fiasco!               =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Now that's a classic - never get incoming calls but (I) keep it turned OFF to save battery.  Hmm   (too funny)

@fthunt  May I ask what you find so darn amusing?  I keep a cell for emergencies only and for my convenience.  I don't want to receive calls on it.  As soon as you start handing out the number, you are obligated to leave it on and answer it or check for messages.  I don't want to do that.  I have a land-line for receiving calls. 

@Kachina624, when I had Tracfones, and like you with rare exceptions I wasn't expecting calls and didn't give the number out to all and sundry, I kept mine turned off too.

Working in a hospital, the walls in many areas are shielded with lead. None but the very strongest cell signals make it through, and even those intermittently. And Tracfone models are not top-of-the-line. So if you leave your phone on, the battery runs down in a amazingly few hours because the phone is continuously searching for a signal and not getting one.

One benefit of having the phone turned off? No spam! Now that I leave my iPhone on all the time, here comes the spam :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I have a "land line" phone that I use while I am home, which comes with my cable and internet service as a package.

i only turn my Tracfone on when I am out, so my DH can call, or when I need to make a call while I am out.  I don't often need to use my cell phone.  I have way over 3000 minutes and much more texts on my phone.  I buy new minutes every year right before they expire on e-bay for about $65 dollars and get 1500 minutes.  I don't even use 60 minutes in a year's time and I never text on it.

i can answer my home phone from my i-pad and make calls on it too as well as text.  I prefer to do it that way.  When I am out of town weekends, I can still take the calls on my home phone and place calls too.  No one has to know I"m not at home.

Esteemed Contributor

?

Respected Contributor

I still use my landline when I am home.  I don't receive calls on my cell phone, but take it with me when I am out of the house in case I want to make a call.  So most of the time my cell phone is OFF.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Why does anyone think if you have a cell phone on, you're a slave to it?  Where does that thinking come from?  At least half the people I know don't have a landline anymore.  So, if you turn off your phone, you aren't able to make or recieve any calls.  For those who have a landline, would any of you take the reciever of your land line "off the hook" 24/7?  Would you unplug your landline phones?  I'm sure the answer is no so why should a cell phone user turn off their phone?  You can silence the phone so it doesn't wake you at night and still have it operational in case of an emergency.  Just like how the rotary phone was replace by touch tone phones, landline phones will eventually be replaced by cell phones. 

There are a lot of people who wear their "lack of being tech savvy" or "being old fashion" like a badge of honor.  It doesn' make you better or less than someone who embraces every new tech item that comes along. It's not an all or nothing situation.  You can have a cell phone, leave it on 24/7 and still have a life.  

Respected Contributor

My husband and I have a cell phone and leave it on from 6:30 am to 9:00 pm for relatives to reach us if our phone is out. Our main phone is a landline. Occasionally Spectrum are working on the line and even for a few minutes being without it we need coverage. We have several family members in other states. I only give our cell numbers to family,doctors or hospitals and a few close friends. I have HiYa app that blocks scam and telemarkers so we are not bothered. We turn our phones off every night and only charge every 2-3 days. It also can reset any problems usually if you have any. We don't live for a cell phone and only use in an emergency. They are a nice thing to have if you are away from home and need assistance for safety. We have always had Tracfones and never had a call anywhere we couldn't make. 

Honored Contributor

I know people that are always looking at their phone, they are attached to it  all the time.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I have a landline for anyone who needs to call me so I don't keep mine on unless I want the music or I am out.  Only a few have my cell number and know only to call that if they can't get me at home - and it better be important!!!!!