Respected Contributor

Last of VCR/DVD combos died--Need to transfer tapes to DVD--Help!

The last of our two VCR/DVD player recorder combos died recently (the VCR eats tapes and the DVD player/recorder "whines" when we put in a DVD).   We would like to transfer our old video cassette tapes to DVDs.  When I looked on line to see what it would cost for this sort of combo machine, I could not believe the prices for them (even for used ones).

We have some videos of my late mother that we especially want to transfer.  I wondered if there still are professional VCRs out there for purchase.  I thought that they woud be more solidly built.

Does any manufacturer even make VCRs anymore?  If so, are there any reliable ones?

Also, is there a move to quit selling DVD players that also record?  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Respected Contributor

Re: Last of VCR/DVD combos died--Need to transfer tapes to DVD--Help!

[ Edited ]

I think photo shops like at CVS do that.  I would definitely have your most precious ones transferred ASAP....I have read a VCR tape only has about a 10 year lifespan before it starts to disintegrate/ lose quality.

Respected Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

I have used legacy box twice now.  If you get on their email list, you can see when they run specials.  The last time I used them I got 60% off.  The first time I transferred 3 VCR tapes to a small thumb drive.  The second time, I transferred 10, 8 mm tapes to a thumb drive.  Those were from 1995-1996, and they said the one of the tapes had quality issues, but they transferred it anyway.

I am going to keep doing this, going from the oldest tapes to the newest, until they are all done.  We don't often go back to watch home movies.  BUT, I hate the thought of them going bad when I took the time and trouble to video tape so much (hours upon hours of soccer, baseball, basketball, football, & track).

Legacy Box does a good job of making it easy to do, and they keep you updated every step of the way.  It is a bit scary to send your precious stuff off, but it is well worth it.  Good luck!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I have read a VCR tape only has about a 10 year lifespan before it starts to disintegrate/ lose quality.

@alicedee   My still working VCR is 30+ yrs old as well as my tapes.  They have not disintergrated or lost quality.  I store them flat rather than sitting up.

I use to transfer my tapes to DVD myself.  It was pretty easy.  But I tripped over the converter & broke it.  Now I let the professionals do it for me - Walgreens and/or CVS.  Well, actually, I am now done converting as of 3 yrs ago. whew.gif

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Writer with Flair   If VCR/DVD combos are not found at your local in store Best Buy or record shop(s),  Amazon has a bunch of them for reasonable prices.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

I have read a VCR tape only has about a 10 year lifespan before it starts to disintegrate/ lose quality.

@alicedee   My still working VCR is 30+ yrs old as well as my tapes.  They have not disintergrated or lost quality.  I store them flat rather than sitting up.

I use to transfer my tapes to DVD myself.  It was pretty easy.  But I tripped over the converter & broke it.  Now I let the professionals do it for me - Walgreens and/or CVS.  Well, actually, I am now done converting as of 3 yrs ago. whew.gif

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

@Writer with Flair   If VCR/DVD combos are not found at your local in store Best Buy or record shop(s),  Amazon has a bunch of them for reasonable prices.

I'm glad your tapes are still in good shape!  My ex had a machine that converted all ours to dvd.  He promised to make me copies of them when we divorced, so I left them with him.  Liar, Liar, pants on fire.  🙁

Honored Contributor

Friends of mine own a store that transferrs any of your VHS or Beta tapes to any other format, DVDs, thumb drive, you name it.

They do such a nice job. They have had the store for about 30 years. And because their eqipment is first rate anything transferred is sharp and clear.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to a local electronics store and they will transfer for $5.

If you want a used vcr try your pawn shops or ebay.

Respected Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I think photo shops like at CVS do that.  I would definitely have your most precious ones transferred ASAP....I have read a VCR tape only has about a 10 year lifespan before it starts to disintegrate/ lose quality.

@alicedee

Thanks for letting me know.

Honored Contributor

0C0FB0F9-3A2F-4B16-87FD-7DBC52585967.png