Respected Contributor

Re: Laptops vs. desktops ?

[ Edited ]

When I first began dating my DH, he persuaded me to buy a MacBook laptop instead of the iMac I wanted. I always regretted it. I ended up buying it anyway and gave away the big heavy laptop and got a tablet. I'm still studying so I use a desktop for surfing the internet but also to write papers and for work. 

However, I don't see myself giving my desktop up anytime soon. I find them more comfortable to use hands down. With a laptop, you always have to look down and not straight ahead. The keyboard while comfortable, doesn't compare to a regular keyboard and mouse. I also think using a tablet so close is bad for your eyes. 

They will always make desktops for offices and people like myself who prefer them. I use my Macbook Air laptop when I'm in school but once I'm home, I only use my iMac. I find that no matter how comfortable laptop keyboards are, I always feel some discomfort like I'm getting carpal tunnel due to the way you have to position your hands especially when using the track pad. 

My advice: Buy the computer you really want to buy. 

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

Buy what makes you happy.  I have three desktops, and a laptop.

Respected Contributor

I'm typing this on an iMac which, by the way, has a 27" screen.  We also have an iPad and iPhones.  The each serve a specific purpose and need.

I had a Mac laptop.  It never left my desk.  I had to remember to "exercise" the battery.  What a pain.  Why would I want a laptop that sits on my desktop?  That's when I went to the iMac.

How do you use your computer?  Do you take it out, or does it just sit on your desk and act like a desktop?  If you want to hear alternative "advice" from a salesman, go to an Apple Retail Store if you can.  Discuss your needs and how you use your computer.  You'll probably get a wider range of advice.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

The gentleman in Best Buy tried to persuade me from buying a desktop computer while I was there after New Years. He said "no one buys those anymore " and directed me to laptops. He said I could still use it at home but had an advantage in that it is also portable.

Is anyone still using Desktop computers these days ? Or should I replace my old computer with a laptop ?  I will also add I do own an IPad but that is only used for email and music.

I have a desktop, laptop, tablet and phone and I use my desktop 80% of the time.  I love the big screen which is important to me.  I could never use a tablet full time.  I hate the mobile version of websites and the screen is too small.  What you want to use is the only thing that matters.  Don't let anyone talk you into buying a device you won't use or like. 

Valued Contributor

Everyone tries to steer you towards a laptop. I tried one and didn't like it. For one thing it was heavy to hold, and it was off balance because of the batteries on the back of it. I don't need to wander around using my computer. I use it at my desk. I bought a small desktop from Dell. They also try to make you get the biggest hard drive that they make. If you do games or make videos then fine. But, I don't do either of those things. When the 1T hard drive died, I had it replaced with a 250G drive. It's cheaper, and I have only used just under 1/4 of it. My old XP machine has a smaller drive. It's over 10 years old and there's only about 1/4 of that drive in use. Why pay for a huge drive? The more memory the better, but storage space not so much. I've had computers since the Atari back in the '80s. I like my desktop where I have my "work space". They talk about using your computer out on the patio. Why? Do you need a computer wherever you go? Then yes, a laptop is a good idea. But, if you are checking email and maybe ordering something online then you don't need it to follow you around. I can see using a portable computer for some jobs, but not for home use. especially with tablets and smart phones. It may be the "in" thing for now, but it's not necessary.

Honored Contributor

I'm a desktop and tablet kind of guy. Most of the time I use my desktop. When I'm on the go, I use my tablet. The tablet is cheap ($100) does what I need, and does fine when I need to be mobile. 

An advantage to desktops is that they're easy to upgrade/repair. One knob holds the side panel on, remove that and I then have access to all of the interior of the desktop. I can add/remove whatever components I want at any time. I upgraded it this last spring with a new CPU, motherboard, memory, SSD drive, optical drive and operating system for around $400. A comparably specced laptop would have cost twice as much. While you can self-service a laptop, it's not nearly as easy.

If your keyboard goes bad on a desktop you can simply unplug it and plug in a spare and be back up and operatng in a minute or two. If the keyboard on a laptop goes wonky, it's off to the shop. If you don't liek the keyboard on your desktop, you have a gazillion other options to choose form. On a laptoop, what you've got is what you've got. Need a bigger montior? Multiple monitors? Not a big deal with a desktop. Often impossible on a laptop.

Now, clever salemen will steer you to docking stations for the laptop if you need all of that which will convert your laptop into a desktop, but why pay more for a laptop and then have to buy something else to use it as a desktop when it's cheaper to just buy the desktop to begin with?

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

As most of you have said, it's a personal decision. I currently have two desktops and a laptop - all Macs.  I'm retired, but still have DH's desktop - a 27 inch screen and mine, which is smaller. I did buy a laptop when my husband was frequently in the hospital with heart issues before his death.  It kept my mind occupied during the long hours in the hospital.  

Now that my husband is gone, I have hardly opened the laptop. I try to remember to keep it charged all the  time.  There is no way I would want to use a laptop all the time.  At my age a large screen is important, and not haviing to look down at a laptop is a real comfort asset for me.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

The gentleman in Best Buy tried to persuade me from buying a desktop computer while I was there after New Years. He said "no one buys those anymore " and directed me to laptops. He said I could still use it at home but had an advantage in that it is also portable.

Is anyone still using Desktop computers these days ? Or should I replace my old computer with a laptop ?  I will also add I do own an IPad but that is only used for email and music.

that's just salesman BS

buy what you like, however a laptop now can have as much storage and speed as a tower.

You can take it into your bedroom and or kitchen to work even if you are not going to take it out of the house. 

And if you won't  be taking it out of the house you can get a bigger screen as well.

then use your iPad away from home, keeping in mind that some tasks are easier to do on a traditional keybord IMO

Esteemed Contributor

Got them all and like all of them.  However when my PC goes I think I will go to a laptop just because fixing the big ole thing has become expensive.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have a home office, so still use a desktop. We both have laps. (I use my lap when travelling to maintain my on-line classes.) DH has a tablet. I don't want a tablet because the screen is too small. Then there are always the phones.

Just understand the differences and what each has to offer. Then get what you want, not what anyone tries to talk you in or out of.