Esteemed Contributor

Too many choices.  I want a laptop that will eventually replace my PC.  It has to have power, speed and storage.  I want to have CD possibiities and not have to buy a separate part to do this.  As you can see I am not versed in computer language and terminology.  

I am not a fan of DELL.  I have had some experience with HP.  I know there are others on the market but just need advice from those who own other brands.  Honestly not a fan of buying on TV as I am thinking they might just be behind the times and selling old to get rid of them.  

So where to buy, what to buy.  How much (price range).  I have fast Internet (Comcast).  I take lots of pictures.  I also need Office or something like office.  I have an IPhone but am basically an Android gal.  Hate the IPhone... another long story. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Too many choices.  I want a laptop that will eventually replace my PC.  It has to have power, speed and storage.  I want to have CD possibiities and not have to buy a separate part to do this.  As you can see I am not versed in computer language and terminology.  

I am not a fan of DELL.  I have had some experience with HP.  I know there are others on the market but just need advice from those who own other brands.  Honestly not a fan of buying on TV as I am thinking they might just be behind the times and selling old to get rid of them.  

So where to buy, what to buy.  How much (price range).  I have fast Internet (Comcast).  I take lots of pictures.  I also need Office or something like office.  I have an IPhone but am basically an Android gal.  Hate the IPhone... another long story. 

I'm an all Apple gal and wouldn't go back. If you would have asked me 10 years ago, I would have said no way.  I'd suggest a Macbook Pro.  I bought mine in 2013 and it's stil going strong.  

Honored Contributor

u just said you are not a D fan but I was in Costco yesterday but there was 

15 inch backlit key board 

1tb hdrive

12? Ram

CD drive

priced under 600

no office I think, but you can buy it or use something else

I want to replace my Dell, which has had no issues other than age,  

I think you could go anywhere once you set a budget, these days.

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I'm an all Apple gal and wouldn't go back. If you would have asked me 10 years ago, I would have said no way.  I'd suggest a Macbook Pro.  I bought mine in 2013 and it's stil going strong.  

I'm with you. I never thought I'd spend the money on a Mac but I did early in 2013.  Another brand and it would have already needed to be replaced and I would have spent just as much on those two as I did on my Mac.  

Fyi to OP...  The Macs and other brands of computers on Q are not the ost recent versions.  Buy locally from a reputable store or go to an Apple store/website.

Honored Contributor

Our 2009 Pro is still going strong, although we are looking to update with another Mac. Great equipment well worth the price.

Valued Contributor

My BF pretty much uses HPs. 

The biggest issue he had was purchasing from Ama*on - defective - and manufacturer refused to honor the warranty on a new computer - said to return to Ama*on.

So he purchases directly from HP, or a brick and mortar store. 

Honored Contributor

At our house we buy only Dell computers and feel they are excellant. I have a dell chromebook, DH has a dell laptop and a dell desktop. We are completely satisfied with. We buy from the dell website and so we can "build" our own computer exactly as we want it, and not be paying for a bunch of stuff we won't use.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Laptop suggestions

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

@bonnielu  ..  I agree with  @glb613 and  @CalminHeart       100%.   I am strictly an Apple Girl.  I also recommend the MacBook Pro and don't purchase is from the Q.  As @CalminHeart stated they sell older models at ridiculously high prices.   

Respected Contributor

I highly recommend Apple products. My 2011 MacBook Pro is still going strong. No issues or problems at all. I keep the OS updated as new releases come out, which can take a bit of time, but that's all the effort that I need to put in to it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Another Apple fan.  Once you go Apple, you never go back.  Buy from an Apple store or an independent Apple authorized retailer. Yes, they are expensive, but the salesperson will help you put together exactly what you need and will be there for you in terms of service, advice, and repair (if necessary).  Buy the Applecare insurance.  I had to use mine to replace my screen (long story), and the screen would have been over $1000 but cost me nothing with my Applecare.  Classes are often offered for beginners.  I took one and am glad I did.

I have a mid-2015 Macbook Pro w/Retina display.  Still going strong without a hitch and much, much use 3 years later.  When I was using Window laptops, I would have to replace every two years--they just couldn't hold up to the rigors I put a laptop through.  My next computer will be a Mac desktop version.  These old eyes need a larger screen and they are less expensive.