Respected Contributor

Laptop For Grandson For College

My grandson is graduating from high school and going to college in the fall, don't know what that will be like, but I do know he needs a laptop.

I know nothing about them, I still have a desktop.  I'm thinking he would need some sort of Word program on it also.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I guess he would need a small printer also, but that he could get later.  Am on a budget.  This would be his first computer. 

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Laptop For Grandson For College

[ Edited ]

@HerRoyaLioness I'm sure he knows best what he needs (not what he wants). His college probably has requirements listed on the syllabus. Perhaps you should go browsing the Internet with him and give him your price limitations. For sure, you will be spending $500. plus. The programs (Office and Student, etc.) will probably cost more, unless they are part of a bundle. He will need Word, Adobe, Excel (I think), PowerPoint (possibly). If you want to make it a surprise, you should enlist the help of a recent or current college student. Printers are very inexpensive. The ink, on the other hand is expensive. However, many times the students can just send their papers to their profs and don't need a printer. Edited to say he may require a Macbook, which is quite a bit more expensive. It depends if he is going into Art, Engineering or Media.

Respected Contributor

I probably shouldn't have an opinion as I have no children and know nothing about computers. I think I would ask him what he thinks he will require for school. He may want a certain brand or need special programs. 

Super Contributor

I concur with the advice you've been given, and would add most companies give students discounts on computers & software. Hopefully, you live near each other & can shop together.

Lastly, the company who has repaired laptops for me advises against buying a laptop from club stores as their experience with those laptops is that they are older models.

Esteemed Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness Based on my own experience I suggest you talk with him as to what he wants.  Kids are so literate in computers today, using them in school.  There are so many different makes and models, Apple vs Android I didn't want to make a costly mistake or get him something he would be disappointed with and it was fun shopping with grandson on line at Best Buy.

Did his college packet include computer needs?  Some do and it's helpful.  What a wonderful gift and good luck to your grandson.

Esteemed Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness

Please contact his college or university before you buy a laptop. He may want to check the online college bookstore. Students maybe able to get aa discount. 

Respected Contributor

I have searched the University website and am unable to find a thing about supplies. I'll have to ask what he has received from the school so far.  My grandson would appreciate anything,

I have been in contact with his Dad, trying to find out what the school is recommending. But I'm dealing with 2 guys here that have gotten school supplies the day before school started. Smiley Frustrated

He is probably going into teaching, so wouldn't need an Apple.

Thanks for all your thoughts, will continue to try and find out more information.

Trusted Contributor

Hello HerRoyalLioness

If I was you, I would get to my grandson and Macbook air. You are indeed so sweet to offer such a lovely present to your angel grandson!

The Macbook air costs 999 dollars and you dont need anything else to buy.

It comes with many applications, icluiding a word processor which is a poerfull one and it is free, it is called Pages.

It has Safari, to browse the Internet

It has Mail 

It has Siri

It has Reminders

It has Calender

It has Messages

It has Photos

It has Garage Band (he can make his own music)

It has iMovie

It has Facetime

...and so many other applications

The Macbook Ait is awafully light and very speedy at the same time.

It is almost 14 inches, 13.3 to be exact, the screen is terribly bright with true tone technology and shar razor text on the screen. Plus, it has more of 48 per cent colours than others.

The new Air (999 dollars) comes with the new redesigned keypbaord. The touch bar is huge, 20 per cent bigger than other portable computers.

...and guess what, the Macbook Air comes now with a figerprint sensor. He can use it for his passwords, pay with Apple Pay if he so chooses where his touch ID remains PRIVATE. It has the all new Apple security chip called T2.

The Macbook Air has some brilliant speakers as well, 25 per cent more than other laptops. Front camera for his Facetime and selfies (hehehe) oh oh and the sound has more bass, twice thn the old Air.'It is a powefgull Mac that it will take him further. The built in apps are indeed powefull. 

After I did a reserach, since he is a student, Apple is offering an educationls price that it will drop to 899 dollars.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Frequent Contributor

The student (your grandson) may need to actually make the purchase if you are going to take advantage of any student discounts.  Also, before you purchase software be sure to check the university's website. Many offer free software bundles to students that they can download.

You may be able to find any student computer requirements either on the university's IT (information technology) website or the website for the program your grandson is going into. If that fails, either chat with the school or give them a call and ask. They're used to these types of questions from family members.

Respected Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

I have searched the University website and am unable to find a thing about supplies. I'll have to ask what he has received from the school so far.  My grandson would appreciate anything,

I have been in contact with his Dad, trying to find out what the school is recommending. But I'm dealing with 2 guys here that have gotten school supplies the day before school started. Smiley Frustrated

He is probably going into teaching, so wouldn't need an Apple.

Thanks for all your thoughts, will continue to try and find out more information.

Please listen to good advice and involve your grandson in the decision making.  You posted you don't know anything about notebook computers so, I wouldn't recommend you do this on your own.