Esteemed Contributor

I have both. I will never, ever give up my landline. The sound of a conversation is so much clearer through a landline. When I'm on my cell phone, no matter how good my cell service is, it still sounds like I'm speaking halfway across the world. Cell Connection has a long way to go before I will ever give up my landline.

Valued Contributor

l got rid of my landline about a year ago , the constant telemarketing calls and extended warranty calls were it for me ,!  l was told by the internet service that to d/ c my landline would make my cost go up ,  made no sense to me , but the bill is still $144 a month , minimum Cable program , and streaming services . l like the streaming services , lots of great programs , 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

We have a Verizon landline and when power goes out we are the only ones that can make calls.  We also have our internet with them and can call anywhere no fees.  Neither is expensive.  I absolutely hate cell phones and the often staticy and cutting in and out when trying to talk with someone.  I'll don't mind the spam calls on landline but I  get nearly as many spam texts on my cell which is more annoying!!  Very few have my cell # and only use.d for emergencies or calls made away from home

That is why we kept our landline. We can use it during power failures (which used to happen often). And calls on the cell phone would cut off on occasion. We had both Verizon and Cingular Cellular and it used to cut off often on both cell services.

But our landline has been iffy since August. More and more we have "No Line". We have had "no line" since Christmas Eve. We have called  and had Verizon "repair" guys come out several times. And so has my neighbor. And trying to get a repair guy to come out takes over an hour on hold just to talk to anyone. 

It is clear Verizon could care less about land lines. Plus the Verizon "repair guys" during one of his "repairs" made it so we can no longer access the Verizon voicemail.

Tired of this mess and tired of Verizon. AND to think I am a Verizon stockholder.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl   I'm there with you. When possible, I prefer talking and doing business on a landline. Compared to other costs, I don't find the price for maintaining this convenience to be excessive so, for now, I'm keeping mine.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I also prefer talking on a landline and we originally got ours because cell service in my area was spotty at best.  I would have kept my landline, except it got so that in the last few years it was more unreliable than the cell service.  And I was paying more for the landline service than cell service.

As others have stated, the phone companies aren't maintaining their lines anymore.  And with more and more people going to cell service only, that's where the companies are putting their money.

Respected Contributor

We still have our landline although Verizon is very expensive.

I prefer to make and receive non-personal calls in the privacy of home rather than being bothered when I'm out and about.

While cellphones are undeniably convenient, the landline gives me peace of mind and that is important to me..  

Honored Contributor

We have Spectrum and have both too.

Im so glad too since there were a few times the cell had issues.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I still have it.  It gets most of my spam calls since I give out my cell phone number much more selectively.  So, it's good in that respect - collecting spam calls.  Verizon does block some (or identifies on caller ID as spam), and I have NomoRobo, and am on the worthless "Do Not Call" list, so my situation isn't too bad.

Frequent Contributor

I also still have a landline.  Was ready to get rid of it a couple of years ago when my cable company offered $9.95 per month for life.  Canceled my service with the phone company and changed to the cable company.   I really like it as I get no more spam calls, they have a set up where when someone calls, if it is a real person they have to press a certain button for the call to go through.    So no automated calls.  I also have cell, but only use it when I go out.

Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl I was like you until May of this year.

ATT (our cell phone service) told us we already were paying for that trace thing that lets emergency know our address if we would call them.

After we found that out, we felt COMFORTABLE in ditching our landline that we paid Spectrum for.

Haven't missed the landline!

Best wishes!

-Solar Smiley Happy