Respected Contributor

LG phone owners be on notice

I would like to warn others as I was not aware.

Please be certain you are backing up all info/photos/contacts etc on a very frequent basis.

Apparently many LG phone models have a fatal flaw in the hardware NOT SOFTWARE that as the phone gets warm the parts of the motherboard 'detatch' and the phone is useless.   

LG offers a solution of sending the phone back to them and after several weeks they return the phone to you with all your info deleted.

I have used LG phones for years and never a problem, my current phone is 18 months old, never a problem UNTIL TODAY it just stopped.  Now they can not get my info off my phone to transfer it to a new phone- Only what was on the cloud.

Now it gets VERY HOT if the battery is inserted and it is locked on the home screen.

When I walked into the Verizon store they said 'oh, another one!  Yeah, these LG are a hot mess."  I asked they why do they continue to carry a line of phones with such problems.  ((((blank stare))))  reponse- "so you want to buy a new phone that is not an LG"  

Honored Contributor

Re: LG phone owners be on notice

One of the beauties of modern technology is that pretty much everything can be backed up automatically. My LG Premiere phone is set up to back up my photos to both the Google cloud and Amazon's cloud. In fact, it's so efficient that photos I take and then delete as they're out of focus, or have some other issue end up backed up to the cloud before I can delete them in many cases.

Modern phones are squeezing so much stuff into so little space that there will be problems. Overheating is fatal to pretty much anything electronic. Keeping the heat down while providing a long lived battery and more and more power is a big challenge for manufacturers. That's one reason why I prefer to buy an established phone that's been on the market for a while.

You'll see the long lines of people just dying to get a brand new phone on the day it's released and they don't seem to appreciate that they'll be the beta testers for that phone and pay a premium price to be the beta tester. Wait six months to a year and the price of the phone will likely drop quite a bit and any problems with the phone will have been uncovered and either fixed or known.

Batteries typically get pretty warm while charging and if there's limited airflow around the phone while its charging, it's possible for the phone to overheat. You want to be sure you don't set a magazine, newspaper, pillow, or anything else over the phone while its charging. Doing so can help trap heat that can cause damage to your phone. Even some cases designed to protect a phone from a drop or fall can help trap in heat while the phone is charging and lead to an early death for the phone.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman  Interesting note about the phone heating up, the TOP 3rd of the LGs gets hot, the bottom where the battery is cool to normal temp.  Very strange.  If course it is the top the phone where the board is that needs to be reattached.

I thought for sure it was the battery overheating, but when I took off the back the battery was cool as well as that entire area of the phone!

I am so disappointed I need to re-arrange my schedule to run out and buy a new phone.  If I had know about the fatal flaw I would have sent the sent the phone in for the required repairs and had a loaner phone pre-arranged for the several week turn-around and did all this NOT while preparing to travel.

Respected Contributor

As a long-time (and future) LG phone owner, I wouldn't worry about that happening, any more than Samsung phone owners worry about theirs exploding--or other brand owners worry about any number of "fatal flaws" attributed to their phones.

It must be the pits to have lost all that data. The lesson here is to back up whatever you can't live without--for all of the reasons any brand of phone can go awry.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@Moonlady  unfortunately yes I do have to worry about it as an LG owner because it HAPPENED!  My phone is 100% not usable and nothing can be transfered over to my soon to be purchased new phone.

When I contacted friends/family (who bought LG based on my reviews) to warn them, they all laughed they all have new phones already due to the same problem.  They were all also unaware of the class action lawsuit.

Regular Contributor

Just google "LG bootloop". 

LG does make great products. My LG G (2011) is still good. Of course, it helps that it came with 2GB RAM and 32GB internal storage. I use this for streaming music/music storage. 

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Moonlady  unfortunately yes I do have to worry about it as an LG owner because it HAPPENED!  My phone is 100% not usable and nothing can be transfered over to my soon to be purchased new phone.

When I contacted friends/family (who bought LG based on my reviews) to warn them, they all laughed they all have new phones already due to the same problem.  They were all also unaware of the class action lawsuit.

You might be able to save your data. Quite a few users have found that either heating or cooling the phone will temporarily get it working again long enough to transfer your data. I'd try the refrigerator first then if that didn't work, the freezer. I'm not so sure about the oven approach though. That would be my absolute last resort.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

How does one back up their contacts?

Respected Contributor

@gardenman  Thank you for your thoughts Gardenman but unfortunately that is not an option.  The heat causes the parts to become detached thus the 'fatal flaw.'  

The data can not be saved. Smiley Sad

Most of my data is backed up.  

My unhappiness is really in LG's attitude of oh well "it's your phone now it is your problem."  One of the CS agents told me my only real option is buy another phone that is not an LG.  RUDE

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, for posting this O/P. My only problem with my phone. [LGK10]it will not take a charge with any other charger then the one it came with. I tried to get a mobil charger for this phone but, it does not work and I have tried many. I asked the ATT tech why and he said it should  work. I just gave up... my contract with ATT will end next week I will go to another place and get a different phone I can not wait. Getting back to topic I do not back up anything on the phone as I have a Ipad for that I use the phone as a phone.Woman Mad